Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Please help an idiot out

Hey guys, my name is Matt and I'm an idiot. I don't even own a spyder, but my boss does and apparently I can't ride them very well. See below

https://youtu.be/Ls3EYjXBW_o

The person on the back was just his daughter, no big deal .

Anyway that's not even the full reason I'm an idiot. Here's the story as short as possibly told. I wrecked my bosses bike, obviously, and I decided to pay out of pocket and fix it myself seeing that I work for a body shop. I wanted to fix it as cheap as possible, but still in the correct manner. Here's where the issue began.

I broke the windshield off. I priced the arms.... some of you may know that you can't buy just the front arm, you have to buy the whole windshield motor assembly and that thing ain't cheap! I sourced an upgraded arm from ebay and installed it. After installing it the motor wouldn't function, but I figured it was because I had the rest of the bike in a million pieces and I had lights all over the dash lit up. Upon having it together the windshield still wouldn't function. I took it apart to find that I had lost the little magnet on the end of the motor shaft . I looked everywhere and can't find it. I ground down some magnets to see if I could make it work that way, but could only get partial function out of the motor that way. SOOOO I'm looking, praying, begging, to see if anyone has a junk unit they could sell me or some grand idea that I don't know about to keep me from spending $600 on a windshield motor unit because I have already shelled out $2,400 for the repair and I'm getting poor pretty quick. Any and all ideas are welcome, please feel free to poke fun at me as well, I can take it

Spyder Garage

Thank you. My boss offered to use his insurance to have it fixed, but I didn't see that being fair for his rates to increase for something he had nothing to do with. Working closely with insurance day in and day out has taught me that you should always pay out of pocket if it's not a substantial loss because rate increase will get you in the end.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by some may think the video was messed with. It's just footage from our terrible looking security cameras.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by G Steezy View Post
    • I broke the windshield off.
    • I priced the arms...you can't buy just the front arm, you have to buy the whole windshield motor assembly. I sourced an upgraded arm from ebay and installed it.
    • After installing it the motor wouldn't function; I took it apart to find that I had lost the little magnet on the end of the motor shaft.
    • I'm looking to see if anyone has a junk unit they could sell me or some grand idea that I don't know about to keep me from spending $600 on a windshield motor unit.
    I reformatted your post so it gets down to the nitty-gritty of what you want.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-16-2018 at 04:36 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey guys, my name is Matt and I'm an idiot. I don't even own a spyder, but my boss does and apparently I can't ride them very well. See below

https://youtu.be/Ls3EYjXBW_o

The person on the back was just his daughter, no big deal .

Anyway that's not even the full reason I'm an idiot. Here's the story as short as possibly told. I wrecked my bosses bike, obviously, and I decided to pay out of pocket and fix it myself seeing that I work for a body shop. I wanted to fix it as cheap as possible, but still in the correct manner. Here's where the issue began.

I broke the windshield off. I priced the arms.... some of you may know that you can't buy just the front arm, you have to buy the whole windshield motor assembly and that thing ain't cheap! I sourced an upgraded arm from ebay and installed it. After installing it the motor wouldn't function, but I figured it was because I had the rest of the bike in a million pieces and I had lights all over the dash lit up. Upon having it together the windshield still wouldn't function. I took it apart to find that I had lost the little magnet on the end of the motor shaft . I looked everywhere and can't find it. I ground down some magnets to see if I could make it work that way, but could only get partial function out of the motor that way. SOOOO I'm looking, praying, begging, to see if anyone has a junk unit they could sell me or some grand idea that I don't know about to keep me from spending $600 on a windshield motor unit because I have already shelled out $2,400 for the repair and I'm getting poor pretty quick. Any and all ideas are welcome, please feel free to poke fun at me as well, I can take it

Ebay I see lots of used parts for sale. What model are you looking for?

HAve you got a parts list as it looks like more damage unseen. Pretty nasty spill going backwards.
    Last edited by trikermutha; 06-16-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

There are used RT windshield motors on eBay for as little as $50.
    SpyDel
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default NANNY

looks to me like NANNY is asleep while in reverse....
    hope they both are OK....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WHERE WERE YOUR HELMETS!!!!!
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Hey Matt, just like tipping a reverse steer fork lift by turning too fast with a raised & carrying boom, flipping a 'normal' trike going forwards or a reverse trike while reversing is easy enough done, so don't feel too bad about it, you certainly won't be the only one to ever do it or ever have done it!! It's just that most won't admit it & even fewer will post it on youtube!

But about fixing your Boss's windscreen, get in touch with the fella who goes by the username of Noboot here on this Forum (send him a PM.) He's the bloke here in Aus who pioneered the a/mkt Billet Arms for the RT windscreens & has dealt with hundreds if not thousands of 'no longer working' installs after DIY'ers have created issues. If anyone is gonna know how to get your Boss's windscreen working properly, it'll be him!

Good Luck.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Hey Matt, just like tipping a reverse steer fork lift by turning too fast with a raised & carrying boom, flipping a 'normal' trike going forwards or a reverse trike while reversing is easy enough done, so don't feel too bad about it, you certainly won't be the only one to ever do it or ever have done it!! It's just that most won't admit it & even fewer will post it on youtube!

But about fixing your Boss's windscreen, get in touch with the fella who goes by the username of Noboot here on this Forum (send him a PM.) He's the bloke here in Aus who pioneered the a/mkt Billet Arms for the RT windscreens & has dealt with hundreds if not thousands of 'no longer working' installs after DIY'ers have created issues. If anyone is gonna know how to get your Boss's windscreen working properly, it'll be him!

Good Luck.
    Here's a thread on the issue. Maybe you can glean some useful information from it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=noboot
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Ebay I see lots of used parts for sale. What model are you looking for?

HAve you got a parts list as it looks like more damage unseen. Pretty nasty spill going backwards.
    I can't find the actual part I need on ebay for under $400. The bike has already been repaired and is finished with the exception of the windshield operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spydel View Post
    There are used RT windshield motors on eBay for as little as $50.
    I don't need the motor. The motor is fine. I need a little tiny magnet that allows the motor to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    WHERE WERE YOUR HELMETS!!!!!
    We were only in the parking lot, I didn't think we needed them, obviously I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Good Luck.
    Thank you very much for the info, I will shoot him a PM.

Spyder Garage

Default hey guy

you do know the engine needs to be running for the windshield to go up and down right ...

Spyder Garage

Is the magnet not part of the windshield motor?
    SpyDel
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    you do know the engine needs to be running for the windshield to go up and down right ...
    I do yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spydel View Post
    Is the magnet not part of the windshield motor?
    It is not. I should of snapped some photos at the shope to better clarify what I'm talking about and what I'm after. The front most windshield arm goes onto a shaft. On one end of the shaft there is a gear that goes to the windshield motor. On the other end of the shaft is a tiny magnet. The magnet is held close to a switch. This magnet tells the motor that the windshield is all the way up or all the way down so that it won't continue to run and break parts. It's a very over engineered and unnecessary way to do it in my opinion, but that's how Can-AM did it.

Spyder Garage

This is what I'm talking about. A little magnet fell out of the black piece at the end of the shaft. That magnet has to be there in order for the windshield motor to operate from the button the the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe here

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...sories-console
    I don't know what the part it attaches to looks like to spot it in diagram. Or the year of bike , I chose 2012 RT LIMITED hoping it had a similar Winshield & function is all. Glad there were no serious injuries & obviously your not too much an idiot for a boss to trust you with his bike & DAUGHTER on board so that's good there & maybe after you got it all fixed up he will decide to sell you that one & go get himself a new one
    U have already joined us has he?

also here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...f-lateral-play
    Last edited by Bfromla; 06-17-2018 at 02:38 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what I'm talking about. A little magnet fell out of the black piece at the end of the shaft. That magnet has to be there in order for the windshield motor to operate from the button the the bike.
    Looks like you got one of NOBOOT windshield arms in that picture. Try him for a magnet for now.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

Never seen an RT run that fast in reverse... I thought they had a rev limiter on the reverse to avoid just that. I never back up that fast nor that far but see where it can be a problem cause even the nanny can't deal with that...Don't feel to bad and it doesn't make you an idiot...a few other terms come to mind.... I think they have you covered on finding what you need or who to talk to..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Never seen an RT run that fast in reverse... I thought they had a rev limiter on the reverse to avoid just that. I never back up that fast nor that far but see where it can be a problem cause even the nanny can't deal with that...Don't feel to bad and it doesn't make you an idiot...a few other terms come to mind.... I think they have you covered on finding what you need or who to talk to..
    Max reverse speed is 9 mph. It wasn't the reverse speed that got him, it was the sharp turn he made. Good demonstration why two wheels in front is superior to two in the rear!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I’m so glad I’ve seen this. Wow I would not have thought it was possible. I will watch how I back up.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Might I suggest that you look at two different sites for your parts at a discount.

www.cheapcycleparts.com
    a good site for new parts and the part blow ups

or

www.pinwallcycle.com
    this place is very close to me and the have used parts off wrecked cycles and 4 wheelers, their cataloguing is amazing.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dude... your Boss's Spyder!

Groan.jpg

Just do you think that fixing the bike, "as cheap as possible"; is ever gonna work out the way that you hope it will?
    It's your Boss: go "top shelf", on the repairs, and good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Dude... your Boss's Spyder! Just do you think that fixing the bike, "as cheap as possible"; is ever gonna work out the way that you hope it will? It's your Boss: go "top shelf", on the repairs, and good luck!
    I'm not sure any of them should be back on the road (OP, boss, boss' daughter)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

With the problem he's having with the windscreen arm I have suggested he turn it 180' as that has often worked. Haven't heard if successful or not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We haven't heard anything back from the O.P. in a while: I wonder how this is all turning out for him?
    (Does he still have a JOB?? )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would have bet the farm that what I saw was impossible.
    I'm not at all sure what you did to make that happen but it appears to have violated a couple of laws of physics

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.