Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    and I can still read the lettering on the center rib of my rear tire.
    Not while you’re riding I hope, 2dogs?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Once in a while...

Open it up a bit. Keeping the RPM's below 4K ALL the time is not desirable according to several techs I talked to. Especially on low mile engines. I know rebuilding car engines they get a "lip" in the cylinder where the top of the rings stop in the cylinder. The tech said same thing happens in all engines. So once in a while when engine is hot I'll open it up and shift higher, cruise at 6K for a mile or two. He basically said if I ran at 4K or less all the time, that one time I need to open it up and get outta dodge the pistons reach a tad higher (microinches, but still) and the rings hit this lip and crack.

May or may be a thing, maybe someone here can confirm or deny. I like to open it up anyways, shift high around 5K once in a while, like getting on the highway. Holy cow this 1330 engine is awesome!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Floating Your Goat.jpg
    You don't need excuses to rev it up a bit: it's your bike!
    BYW: that's all ancient history based upon technology long forgotten...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Open it up a bit. Keeping the RPM's below 4K ALL the time is not desirable according to several techs I talked to. Especially on low mile engines. I know rebuilding car engines they get a "lip" in the cylinder where the top of the rings stop in the cylinder. The tech said same thing happens in all engines. So once in a while when engine is hot I'll open it up and shift higher, cruise at 6K for a mile or two. He basically said if I ran at 4K or less all the time, that one time I need to open it up and get outta dodge the pistons reach a tad higher (microinches, but still) and the rings hit this lip and crack.

May or may be a thing, maybe someone here can confirm or deny. I like to open it up anyways, shift high around 5K once in a while, like getting on the highway. Holy cow this 1330 engine is awesome!
    See if you can find out if the Spyder 1330 cylinders are Nik A Sil. I beleive they are. The likelyhood to wear a ridge is almost nil in that case.

Old school iron liners will form a ridge.

Much of this is based on ring technology.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    See if you can find out if the Spyder 1330 cylinders are Nik A Sil. I beleive they are. The likelyhood to wear a ridge is almost nil in that case.

Old school iron liners will form a ridge.

Much of this is based on ring technology.
    Well I learned something! Love this forum! Showing my age worrying about ridges...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Floating Your Goat.jpg
    BYW: that's all ancient history based upon technology long forgotten...
    What ??? My engine doesn't have pistons and rings and valves and rods and bearings ???