Thread: Brakes

Spyder Garage

Default Brakes

I have a 15 RT Limited and wanting to replace the brake pads. I am wanting to use factory pads but do not know what is included in the brake kits. Do these kits include the caliper screws and pins that need to be replaced according to the maintenance manual?

Spyder Garage

Default No the brake pads do not include the pins and bolts.

I get my pads from BajaRon (just changed my 15 RT rear pads at 36,000 with some life left). I got a spare kit from the Dealer called ENS*SPRING-PIN-CLIP KIT (FRONT) part # 219800238 for $18 that just had one caliper pin, little spring clip, and the chrome spring plate to hold the pads down. Since the original parts didn't have wear grooves, I just cleaned them up and reused them. YMMV. I'll keep the caliper pin and springs for when I need to replace, maybe the next time.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default TIMING

PERFECT TIMING.....
    just finished the fronts on my F3 10 minitz ago.... took 35 minitz total time....
    only thing you get when buying pads, are the pads... ALWAYS do both fronts at the same time.... cheap insurance if you ask me....
    check out BAJA-RON, on this website... Ron is great, and will give you the best prices...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default No....

pretty much none of the brake pad replacements come with anything but the pads.. the oem do come with the pesky little clips that tend to jump out of sight or break and you cannot buy the clips alone. The pins should be fine just clean them up but if they are grooved replace them. I use cheapcycleparts.com for all my parts as they are better stocked and cheaper.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black