Spyder Garage

Default Oil cap rod sheared off!!

So I was doing a routine oil change on my wife's 2014 SE6 (48K miles). using Lamonsters handy oil change kit. Seems he's brewing Oil in his living room now.

Anyway, I pull the cap off the oil filter cover with my handy 36mm socket, and set it aside. Wait a minute. Somethings wrong here. Isnt that sucker supposed to have a long rod that goes all the way thru the center of the filter, with two little orings on the end??? Woah. After pulling the filter, I see two of the rod pieces in the housing, one still stuck in the bottom hole (with its o-rings). Hmmmmm. A pair of long needle nose pliers and a good tough pulled the pieces out.

It looks like the torque of twisting off the oil filter cap, along with the tightness of the orings in their housing, busted that plastic rod.

Questions: WHY?? Has anybody else have this experience? I don't think it caused any engine damage, as the plastic piece broke WHEN I removed the cap, and the tip of the rod with its orings where where they were supposed to be.

The rod is not sold separately--You have to buy Cap, rod, and two o-rings (part #420210885, About $23). Not a fortune. But could cause serious problems.

Screen Shot.jpg
    Shirley G

Spyder Garage

Have not heard of that problem before. Be sure to lubricate the O-rings with fresh oil before reinstalling the oil filter cover. Torque is 18 lbft, +/- 2 lbft.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Check, check and check.
    Shirley G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How old were the O rings ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    How old were the O rings ?
    Probably about 6,000 Miles old, as this is about how often I change the bikes oil. Baja Ron oil change kits.
    Shirley G