Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RADIO UPGRADE

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    I agree that the new dash is a big fu2k up .Why would they have a radio that you can not hear ,as it will not connect to a head set ,ether by Bluetooth or cord . You need a smart phone get music or GPS ,if there was a way to scrap this piece of ***** dash and have the old one installed i would be i line .
    Yes i bought the wrong year ,but i was not made aware of all the BS this dash needs to work . I was not aware the radio is useless .

Last week I would have 100% agreed with you about the radio and not being able to hear. I dropped off my 2018 F3L to get my first service and at the same time my dash received the newest update. I don’t know if it was the update or if one of the techs in their service department altered my speaker settings but what a HUGE difference. Usually when riding 55 mph or faster I couldn’t hear or make out the song but I just got back where I rode with my wife on I-10 going to 75 and could easily hear everything. I know this might sound like BS but it’s crazy how much has changed. My wife on the back said the same thing. I’m going to call tomorrow to see if I can find out because it’s intriguing. I can also tell you I use to have issues linking my blue tooth where Pandora would play but haven’t had any issues. Usually every 3rd or 4th time I start my 🕷 I would have to shut it back down and try again so my Bluetooth connection worked along with Pandora. Makes me feel little better about paying $360 for first service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    My wife and I just made a purchase last week. For driving, I think the F3 is a lot more fun than the RT. However, as a passenger I found the RT to be much more comfortable. Passengers on the F3 (at least the one we drove) sit higher than the driver and catch a lot more wind than they do on the RT.

Personal taste, but I also like the 2017's mix of analog and digital on the dashboard over the 2018 all digital dash. Plus, we saved a couple thousand dollars more via the 2017 rebates currently being offered.
    I too was thinking 2017 RT with rebate, can you reveal exactly what you paid excluding tax? I found it interesting the comment 2017 vs 2018.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    I would strongly suggest you purchase the 2017 F3.

I looked at the topography of the area where you live on Google Earth. You have some nice twisties and rolling hills to ride. You don't have to ride the Spyder (F3) hard all of the time (which is where the F3 excels), you can lay back and ride nice and easy, but when the that bit of winding/rolling road lays before your eye you'll thank yourself for buying the F3. Consider the fact that an F3 can be ridden easy or hard in all conditions ie. twisities, hill climbing etc, whereas the RT will roll from side to side.

If you purchase the F3 make sure the dealer installs a BajaRon Sway Bar. That will set them back only $288.00, so don't let them talk you out of this purchase. It's not hard to add the bar later, but you have to raise the Spyder up 25 inches off the ground, so consider that factor. The sway bar turns the F3 from good fun to GREAT FUN.

The new display tries to turn the Spyder into a cell phone accessory. I think you want to ride, not waste time messing around with a poorly design new interface. Keep it simple!

Go back to the dealer and ride the F3 on those winding, twisting road around your area. Ride it hard, open it up to a least 5000 rpm. Lean into the turns, lock your outer arm elbow for support, push on the outboard peg, putting your CG lower. You will have a new option of the F3 if you ride it hard. The RT is great for the long hauls, so I'm not bashing that ride, but from your description I think the F3 will make feel like a young man, not a retiree.

BTW. I had this exact dilemma when I went to buy a Spyder. I tried them both. I was like you, not sure before the ride but after giving it a hard workout it was a easy choice. So tell the dealer you want be sure of your decision and ride them both again.

Please let us know which Spyder your choose to purchase.
    Rode the f3 in some TN twisties about 75 miles, great sport, not so much for the passenger, she was not happy. If you're riding two up, my advice is the RT, but I'm surely not the expert here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Well, that radio must be amazingly loud, then. At 70 mph on my RT, I can't hear the radio at all at any volume because of the wind noise. If the radio could overcome the wind noise at that speed, I expect I'd be deaf in a few miles. In fact, if I'm going farther than a few miles on the highway, I wear custom earplugs because I want my ears to last until my old age. When I get a new smartphone, I'll put my music on the phone and play it back through my helmet speakers. Until then, the only use my RT's radio has is to provide entertainment in the garage.
    I actually find at times the radio is too loud on my 2017 RT, but I suppose with earplugs you're not going to hear to hear it too well. I'm quite the opposite in viewpoint, I think music blaring via helmet speakers is more dangerous from a safety perspective given you're less likely to hear the noise made from an approaching/nearby vehicles. I was a bicyclist for many years and I saw way too many people using audio earbuds keeping them oblivious to nearby dangers. I tried it once and didn't know a semi was on my tail until it swooshed by. You're right though, hearing is an issue. At age 50, I already have hearing issues...but it's likely not from music or wind noise but the blasted lawn mowers and other outdoor tools I've used over the years.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    Last week I would have 100% agreed with you about the radio and not being able to hear. I dropped off my 2018 F3L to get my first service and at the same time my dash received the newest update. I don’t know if it was the update or if one of the techs in their service department altered my speaker settings but what a HUGE difference. Usually when riding 55 mph or faster I couldn’t hear or make out the song but I just got back where I rode with my wife on I-10 going to 75 and could easily hear everything. I know this might sound like BS but it’s crazy how much has changed. My wife on the back said the same thing. I’m going to call tomorrow to see if I can find out because it’s intriguing. I can also tell you I use to have issues linking my blue tooth where Pandora would play but haven’t had any issues. Usually every 3rd or 4th time I start my 🕷 I would have to shut it back down and try again so my Bluetooth connection worked along with Pandora. Makes me feel little better about paying $360 for first service.
    The newest update is 12.20 ,i do not know what all it does ,but i do know it fixed the average L/100.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Speakers are stellar on my 17 F3. Honey thinks it's better than his Indian. I do have it setup for variable volume (goes up with throttle/speed) and loud, probably can take it down to normal, haven't tried that yet.

Can hear just fine (for me) at 65-70

PS: I mostly listen to Pandora on my phone via USB.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Speakers are stellar on my 17 F3. Honey thinks it's better than his Indian. I do have it setup for variable volume (goes up with throttle/speed) and loud, probably can take it down to normal, haven't tried that yet.

Can hear just fine (for me) at 65-70

PS: I mostly listen to Pandora on my phone via USB.

My wife thought I was nuts because I told her it sounds louder as we start rolling but your comments confirm it. I really wish I was showed this when I purchased but my salesman didn’t even know how to start it.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    So I wouldn't use one's age to determine which model to buy.
    That's for sure!!!! I find it interesting, or even intriguing, how people's health and physical abilities can vary so dramatically after about age 55. Some 60 year olds can barely move while other 90 year olds are still climbing mountains.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I too was thinking 2017 RT with rebate, can you reveal exactly what you paid excluding tax? I found it interesting the comment 2017 vs 2018.
    It was $24,900 for the 2017 RT SE6 Limited.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Wow and about $ 10,000 more here in Canada .I will have a hard time sitting till memory fades.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Probably too little too late, though I will off a nickel of advice anyway.

What are your plans when attempting to get somewhere in inclement weather?
    Do you stop and wait for it to subside?
    Do you press on because you need to get there.

With the RT you raise the windscreen hunker down and arrive in good shape.
    With the F3 you are going to be wet and wind blown.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    With the RT you raise the windscreen hunker down and arrive in good shape.
    I thought that too.

UNTIL I got caught is a heavy pop-up Florida thunderstorm.
    Water on road. Had to slow down to prevent hydroplaning.
    Got SOAKED in the couple of minutes it took to find shelter.

Thankfully it didn't last long.
    Wrung out my shirt, wiped off the Y and by the time I got home most of me was dry again.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    How many 20 year olds do you see riding GoldWings ??

With age comes an inevitable slow down......at some point......for most people.......and the "sport" models no longer are a good fit.
    I'm retired and much prefer the F3L.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Lots of good advice offered in this thread. But, IMO, it comes down to ergonomics. Which one is most comfortable for you?
    I have to agree. I put a luggage rack on my F3-T and purchased another drybag, and as a result can carry a lot. I do not think luggage should be a consideration.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    It was $24,900 for the 2017 RT SE6 Limited.
    Thanks Bryan, good information.,
    BikerBill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Lots of good advice offered in this thread. But, IMO, it comes down to ergonomics. Which one is most comfortable for you?
    I have to strongly agree. I REALLY wanted an RT until I sat on one and then later tried to ride one. I like the look a lot more than the F3. However, the F3T that I bought is so much more comfortable for me. With over 1k miles ridden in the first 2 weeks, comfort is important to me.
    So far the only 2up has been with my 19yo daughter. She loves it and wants one. However, with one more year of undergrad and then grad school, its not in her budget for awhile. She is however, trying to get me to give her my Yamaha XS650 Special. She is 5'4", so with a low slung seat, that would be perfect for her - so she says. The Goldwing on the other hand, not so much.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    I have to agree. I put a luggage rack on my F3-T and purchased another drybag, and as a result can carry a lot. I do not think luggage should be a consideration.
    Not knowing much about the RT than the info I gather from this site and browsing, the luggage rack could be the answer to my additional two up 'stuff' when on the road trip. Can you or anyone on the forum give me some particulars on that?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up An RT rack???

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Not knowing much about the RT than the info I gather from this site and browsing, the luggage rack could be the answer to my additional two up 'stuff' when on the road trip. Can you or anyone on the forum give me some particulars on that?
    Hi bb,

I'll assume ( hate doing that ) your talking about a rack for an RT. I have a chrome rack that is attached to the top of the trunk lid. Works perfect for bulky light stuff. We put 2 rain suits and the bike half cover in a bag ( along with a few other sundries). Hardly know it's there and the safety chrome rack thus frees up a lot of space in the RT's commodious luggage space.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK Lew, got it, thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the input - decision made (I think)

Finnally made it back here. betwwen work and getting lost in other posts, never made it back here. Amazing at the amount of knowledge and experience on here. Thanks for all the input. Much to think about and consider. One thing I failed to mention in the original post, I have multiple artificial joints. A shoulder, knee and both hips - sort of a modern day iron man with all the surgical steel in my joints So, being able to mount/dismount and sit comfortably was a big decision factor. Since the seat sits slightly lower, my assumption was that the F3 was going to be the better choice. After much going back and forth between the two, surprisingly the RT was actually easier for me to get on and off of, as well as the seating position. With all that and the test drives, I have put a deposit on the '18 RT to hopefully complete the paper work and pick up later this week. Again, thanks to everyone for the input and all the things to think about. Now I need to quit thinking and second guessing my decision, get it picked up and start riding it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rwcall View Post
    Finnally made it back here. betwwen work and getting lost in other posts, never made it back here. Amazing at the amount of knowledge and experience on here. Thanks for all the input. Much to think about and consider. One thing I failed to mention in the original post, I have multiple artificial joints. A shoulder, knee and both hips - sort of a modern day iron man with all the surgical steel in my joints So, being able to mount/dismount and sit comfortably was a big decision factor. Since the seat sits slightly lower, my assumption was that the F3 was going to be the better choice. After much going back and forth between the two, surprisingly the RT was actually easier for me to get on and off of, as well as the seating position. With all that and the test drives, I have put a deposit on the '18 RT to hopefully complete the paper work and pick up later this week. Again, thanks to everyone for the input and all the things to think about. Now I need to quit thinking and second guessing my decision, get it picked up and start riding it!
    I'm sure you'll love the RT. When you get it don't forget to post a pic.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Another newbie

Greetings Spyderfolk from another newbie, shoring up a deal on a 2018 F3 Limited and appreciating all of the discussion.

There is a 2017 F3L floating around at the dealer. So hoping to get a little more input on the difference between the two stereo systems, besides the screen. Where I live will be on a lot of 40-50 mph roads and I do expect to hear the stereo the way I heard it on test run. Coming off a GL1800 with custom stereo, the bar is set high (I already had to get over how much slower and less refined the powertrain is...)

Are the speakers different between the two years ? (The 2018 is crated so have not observed one up close)

I hesitate on the 2017 over the 2018 due to the smaller sprocket on the 2017. Seems like a bigger deal than the head unit.

For some reason the 2017 F3L at the dealer has the orange frame bars instead of black (on magnesium), looks quite good if you ask me.

Thanks again everyone, looking forward to sharing the first few rides.

Spyder Garage

Default no longer a wannabe

Paperwork finally all signed, gave away my life savings and first born but an now an owner of a 2018 RT. Been debating this for a couple of years now and kept talking myself out of it. After driving it home, now I don't know why I waited soo long!

spyder2.jpg spyder5.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rwcall View Post
    Paperwork finally all signed, gave away my life savings and first born but an now an owner of a 2018 RT. Been debating this for a couple of years now and kept talking myself out of it. After driving it home, now I don't know why I waited soo long!

spyder2.jpg spyder5.jpg
    Nice looking ride....congratulations.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage