Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New purchase input

New member here, looking to buy my first Spyder and have it narrowed down to two different machines. As much as i'd like, cant afford to by both. Would appreciate input from some of you experienced folk on here as to which you think might be a better fit. Looking at a 2017 F3 Limited (Black) or a 2018 RT SE6 (White).

I would be driving this mainly around locally with some longer weekend trips for now with a couple of longer distance trips per year. Working towards retirement in a couple of years at which time I would do more long distance trips. Currently single but for longer trips would be likely accompanied with a rider.

After sitting and test drives, both seem to be appropriate for my needs (not sure about having a rider or if that is a consideration between the two models). Price wise, they are about the same with the F3 being slightly cheaper.

Appreciate all thoughts and input

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personal opinion:
    I think an RT would be better for someone about to retire.

BUT.....I personally will NOT recommend that anybody buy an '18 model with the new "electronic dashboard".
    I think they make a HUGE mistake with that.

Spyder Garage

Default F3 VS RT

Both are great machines, I you will be riding 2 up then I think the RT would be the best.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rwcall View Post
    New member here, looking to buy my first Spyder and have it narrowed down to two different machines. As much as i'd like, cant afford to by both. Would appreciate input from some of you experienced folk on here as to which you think might be a better fit. Looking at a 2017 F3 Limited (Black) or a 2018 RT SE6 (White).

I would be driving this mainly around locally with some longer weekend trips for now with a couple of longer distance trips per year. Working towards retirement in a couple of years at which time I would do more long distance trips. Currently single but for longer trips would be likely accompanied with a rider.

After sitting and test drives, both seem to be appropriate for my needs (not sure about having a rider or if that is a consideration between the two models). Price wise, they are about the same with the F3 being slightly cheaper.

If you mean overnight, then get the one that gives you the most luggage capacity / options.

You didn't mention the type of riding you do or want to do. If it's laid-back touring with occasional hot-pursuit, then the RT is probably better. If you're more of an aggressive, fast rider most of the time, then the F3.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-14-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My wife and I just made a purchase last week. For driving, I think the F3 is a lot more fun than the RT. However, as a passenger I found the RT to be much more comfortable. Passengers on the F3 (at least the one we drove) sit higher than the driver and catch a lot more wind than they do on the RT.

Personal taste, but I also like the 2017's mix of analog and digital on the dashboard over the 2018 all digital dash. Plus, we saved a couple thousand dollars more via the 2017 rebates currently being offered.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

The F3 for sure has the looks. Also a sportier ride. Most find the OEM shocks to soft for two up riding. Luggage space is also much less.

The RT is the BRP version of the Gold Wing Touring couch. More luggage capacity, and much better two up riding accommodations. Starting to look a bit dated now--not many changes since its inception on 2010. New engine config. in 2014 though.

I am on my third RT. Tried the F3 but never got past the test sit. Did not find the ergos comfortable.

A big decision--I would recommend another test ride or two. Money wise--about the same or maybe the F3 a bit more. I usually make the statement that BRP has managed to make the F3 less, for more. Riders on the site, don't care. A big change over from RT to F3 for a lot of dyed in the wool riders.

Let us know what you decide. Either way--I am guessing you will be a happy camper.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    ...... Tried the F3 but never got past the test sit. Did not find the ergos comfortable.

A big decision--I would recommend another test ride or two. ....
    Lots of good advice offered in this thread. But, IMO, it comes down to ergonomics. Which one is most comfortable for you?
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    If it's laid-back touring with occasional hot-pursuit, then the RT is probably better. If you're more of an aggressive, fast rider most of the time, then the F3.

Though I've seen riders really pushing their RT and having heaps of fun too...
    We love our f3s - even though we are retired - but have one each, so pillion comfort etc is not an issue for us.

Take a long test ride or three - with your passenger - then you'll know which is right for you. Have fun choosing.
    Last edited by loisk; 06-14-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have not taken an F3 for a ride. Just sat on one (or 2) for a few minutes. At first, the seating position was comfortable. After a few minutes I could feel my butt bone starting to bottom out on the seat pan. I still use extra padding on my RT but think it gives a bit more comfort for longer rides. But, when I ride it is typically 200-300 miles and more when touring. Shorter rides around town will be OK on either for me. After market seat options and $$$$ can cure all objections.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

test drive test drive test drive.

When I was looking around, I test drove both. I honestly thought I'd do the RT with the lovely touring options, but gosh I sure fell in love with the F3 stance. In addition, I have a lot of legs and I felt that my knees and legs would appreciate the freedom of movement in the F3 legs positions.

that said, I really depends on how you enjoy the ride. both are excellent bikes, just different seats and feels on the road.

good luck!
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Personal opinion:

BUT.....I personally will NOT recommend that anybody buy an '18 model with the new "electronic dashboard".
    I agree that the new dash is a big fu2k up .Why would they have a radio that you can not hear ,as it will not connect to a head set ,ether by Bluetooth or cord . You need a smart phone get music or GPS ,if there was a way to scrap this piece of ***** dash and have the old one installed i would be i line .
    Yes i bought the wrong year ,but i was not made aware of all the BS this dash needs to work . I was not aware the radio is useless .
    Last edited by stmike 1800; 06-15-2018 at 06:12 AM.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I just bought my first Spyder and went for the 2018 F3L. I like the lower seating position on the F3 and the tighter turns, less pull. The floorboards on the F3 give you a lot of options regarding your leg position even without changing their location. That said, I would have liked the electric windshield of the RT. I went for the 2018 specifically for the display. Not the BRP connect part but the color display of speed and rpm, the turn signal indicators and gear selection. I just found the new display to be more user friendly. BRP connect is not great but I assume it will improve. The embedded GPS allows you to keep a cleaner handlebar. Also, GENIUS maps once on your phone are usable on your phone anywhere without needing data. So that is good for travelling. I assume it will get better in time but it wasn't the kicker for me. The speakers and radio are a waste of money. They should remove those things and reduce the price. I am sure you will love either one whether in '17 or '18. Just don't wait until summer is over to experience the fun.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're going to be ryding 2-up, your partner may prefer the RT. As to handling, I could almost outrun anything in the twisties with either machine.

Personal opinion:
    . . . .
    I don't know what that has to do with it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had not heard that the radio on the 2018 F3's are crap. I have a 2017 F3-T and that radio is loud and clear even on the highway at 80mph!!!! I go on a lot of spyder group rides and even the riders on the RTs butts get sore. I see them standing on the floorboards to give their butts a break. No matter which ride you get you might want to get an Airhawk cushion or spend big money on an after market seat. If your going to have a passenger on your long rides I think the RT would be better for touring.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 06-15-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I don't know what that has to do with it.
    How many 20 year olds do you see riding GoldWings ??

With age comes an inevitable slow down......at some point......for most people.......and the "sport" models no longer are a good fit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With age comes an inevitable slow down......at some point......for most people.......and the "sport" models no longer are a good fit.
    I better understand where you're coming from now. But that's almost like people on 2-wheelers dissing Spyders as what you ride when you can't ride or can no-longer ride a "real" motorcycle. There are many of us who are well past our 60s, retired, and can ryde the heck out of an F3. So I wouldn't use one's age to determine which model to buy.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I had not heard that the radio on the 2018 F3's are crap. I have a 2017 F3-T and that radio is loud and clear even on the highway at 80mph!!!!
    Well, that radio must be amazingly loud, then. At 70 mph on my RT, I can't hear the radio at all at any volume because of the wind noise. If the radio could overcome the wind noise at that speed, I expect I'd be deaf in a few miles. In fact, if I'm going farther than a few miles on the highway, I wear custom earplugs because I want my ears to last until my old age. When I get a new smartphone, I'll put my music on the phone and play it back through my helmet speakers. Until then, the only use my RT's radio has is to provide entertainment in the garage.

I realize a lot of people don't wear ear protection, but deafness is cumulative and permanent. Given all the Harley guys out there with their loud mufflers who don't think hearing protection is cool, and all the concerts out there where the band plays loud enough to shake your body, there's going to be a lot of deafness in America in the next 10-20 years. I wish I owned stock in a hearing aid company right now.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents worth isn’t even worth that but when I sat on a 2017 RTS the stock seat made the bike really uncomfortable. I bought a used 2015 RTL with a day long seat and it made all the difference.

The only point I’m trying to make here is don’t make seat comfort a buying decision if you are finding it uncomfortable.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

YES - new electronic dashboard sucks! I don't use any of the connected apps stuff - it's just not good.

Personal opinion:

Spyder Garage

I better understand where you're coming from now. But that's almost like people on 2-wheelers dissing Spyders as what you ride when you can't ride or can no-longer ride a "real" motorcycle. There are many of us who are well past our 60s, retired, and can ryde the heck out of an F3. So I wouldn't use one's age to determine which model to buy.
    And regarding "handling issues," it came up in another thread. I liked where the person talking to someone that thought they were a expert, said in reply: "yes, it takes a certain "skill" level to ride a , you should probably stick to two wheels."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default F3 is my suggestion:

I would strongly suggest you purchase the 2017 F3.

I looked at the topography of the area where you live on Google Earth. You have some nice twisties and rolling hills to ride. You don't have to ride the Spyder (F3) hard all of the time (which is where the F3 excels), you can lay back and ride nice and easy, but when the that bit of winding/rolling road lays before your eye you'll thank yourself for buying the F3. Consider the fact that an F3 can be ridden easy or hard in all conditions ie. twisities, hill climbing etc, whereas the RT will roll from side to side.

If you purchase the F3 make sure the dealer installs a BajaRon Sway Bar. That will set them back only $288.00, so don't let them talk you out of this purchase. It's not hard to add the bar later, but you have to raise the Spyder up 25 inches off the ground, so consider that factor. The sway bar turns the F3 from good fun to GREAT FUN.

The new display tries to turn the Spyder into a cell phone accessory. I think you want to ride, not waste time messing around with a poorly design new interface. Keep it simple!

Go back to the dealer and ride the F3 on those winding, twisting road around your area. Ride it hard, open it up to a least 5000 rpm. Lean into the turns, lock your outer arm elbow for support, push on the outboard peg, putting your CG lower. You will have a new option of the F3 if you ride it hard. The RT is great for the long hauls, so I'm not bashing that ride, but from your description I think the F3 will make feel like a young man, not a retiree.

BTW. I had this exact dilemma when I went to buy a Spyder. I tried them both. I was like you, not sure before the ride but after giving it a hard workout it was a easy choice. So tell the dealer you want be sure of your decision and ride them both again.

Please let us know which Spyder your choose to purchase.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I realize a lot of people don't wear ear protection, but deafness is cumulative and permanent. Given all the Harley guys out there with their loud mufflers who don't think hearing protection is cool, and all the concerts out there where the band plays loud enough to shake your body, there's going to be a lot of deafness in America in the next 10-20 years. I wish I owned stock in a hearing aid company right now.
    Deafness is already the number one malady affecting veterans at the VA, from what I 'hear'...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I wouldn't use one's age to determine which model to buy.
    Maybe not but it IS a valid consideration.

AND.....since you mentioned it......I know several guys around 70 who still think they have the strength and reflexes that they had when they were 20. Pretty much 100% of them aren't making a realistic assessment of their current capabilities.

Your time will come......sooner or later.

Spyder Garage

Default F3 for me

65yo never ridden a RT but have owned a RSS now own a STL and a F3 . F3 buy far to me is more comfortable ( have a not so good back) and loads more fun. As others have said, try both again ride them like you plan to .Then pick the One that trips your trigger!!!

Spyder Garage

Thirty years ago, quite a few. I was one of them. However, that group of twenty-somethings must have been the last twenty-somethings to buy a Wing!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White