Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Right, but he would like to use a USB stick with mp3 to play his tunes. From what I'm reading here and in the user manual is the USB in the frunk is for controlling a smartphone with the 2018 cluster. The phone also has to be connected via BT so I take that to mean that the audio stream from the phone to the bike is via BT. It looks like the USB is not a regular data connection like on a computer.

With the 2015-17 F3, and 2016-17 RT the USB performs the same audio connection as the DIN connector did previously. That is the input that Lamonster's BT adapter/receiver uses. That same approach should work using the USB and 3.5 connectors in the trunk, and probably in the frunk also. I do the same thing on my 2014 RTS except I BT the audio from my tablet/GPS into the GPS input of the audio system. But, to BT a phone being used as the media source you don't need an adapter for the 2018 RT frunk connections. Use the USB for charging and BT connect the phone for BT audio. But when you do that you won't be able to run the Connect apps on the phone, I don't think.

I think another alternative that would work would be to get a BT transmitter and plug the USB stick into it, if such an animal exists. BT transmitters exist, I know, but don't know if any will accept a USB stick. Power the transmitter using the USB in the trunk and pair the BT transmitter to the bike BT.

I believe it's been mentioned, but I'm not sure. Will the 2018 cluster pair with two BT sources at the same time, or only 1 BT pair at a time?
    I think you got that wrong. The guy initially tried to have the bike read data from a USB port and had to go to a MP3 hardwired into the 3.5mm port. There is no reason to use an MP3 AND a USB stick on the Spyder as you stated. The Spyder is in a sense dumb and essentially just a set of speakers, it needs music played into it.

Check again, in Lamonts video, his BT adapter was powered by the USB, but sound flowed via the 3.5mm jack.

If for no other reason, plugging the MP3 into the USB will save the rider from needing to recharge his MP3.

Regarding your 2014, for you to BT anything into the bike itself, you must have some type of BT receiver to go from the Tablet into the bikes GPS audio input. Possibly you run a Sena Dongle or similar.

In regards to the update from the early style round DIN connector, to USB, granted these ports could offer charging when needed, but essentially allowed the owner to utilize a standard USB to Apple cable to run an Apple device from the trunk. Items such as MP3 still required the 3.5mm audio connect, and were only controlling volume, whereas an Apple device was fully controlled via the Audio control on the left handgrip area. Similar to the 14 and prior, just did away with a round DIN special cable.

Spyder Garage

I do not know how this happen ,went from a tiny little light ,to music .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's happens sometimes. At least the thread didn't go in the other direction for the worst as some have. Still lots of info on this thread There should be another thread for usb/ music posted

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    I do not know how this happen ,went from a tiny little light ,to music .
    Been suffering from a nasty summertime cold. Once over it back to FB only for me.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I think you got that wrong. The guy initially tried to have the bike read data from a USB port and had to go to a MP3 hardwired into the 3.5mm port. There is no reason to use an MP3 AND a USB stick on the Spyder as you stated. The Spyder is in a sense dumb and essentially just a set of speakers, it needs music played into it.

Check again, in Lamonts video, his BT adapter was powered by the USB, but sound flowed via the 3.5mm jack.

If for no other reason, plugging the MP3 into the USB will save the rider from needing to recharge his MP3.

Regarding your 2014, for you to BT anything into the bike itself, you must have some type of BT receiver to go from the Tablet into the bikes GPS audio input. Possibly you run a Sena Dongle or similar.

In regards to the update from the early style round DIN connector, to USB, granted these ports could offer charging when needed, but essentially allowed the owner to utilize a standard USB to Apple cable to run an Apple device from the trunk. Items such as MP3 still required the 3.5mm audio connect, and were only controlling volume, whereas an Apple device was fully controlled via the Audio control on the left handgrip area. Similar to the 14 and prior, just did away with a round DIN special cable.
    Obviously I didn't make myself clear. What I'm saying is you can use an mp3 player plugged into the 3.5, OR if you want to play from a USB stick you can use a BT transmitter to transmit the mp3 files off off the stick to the bike BT, if such a transmitter exists. I didn't intend to indicate you need to use an mp3 player and a USB stick at the same time. And I didn't make clear I do use a BT receiver for my tablet. It's some oddball brand I bought off eBay.

The upshot is, as I understand it, that with the 2018 Connect system you are not able to play mp3 files directly off a USB stick like you could with the earlier model years.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Obviously I didn't make myself clear. What I'm saying is you can use an mp3 player plugged into the 3.5, OR if you want to play from a USB stick you can use a BT transmitter to transmit the mp3 files off off the stick to the bike BT, if such a transmitter exists. I didn't intend to indicate you need to use an mp3 player and a USB stick at the same time. And I didn't make clear I do use a BT receiver for my tablet. It's some oddball brand I bought off eBay.

The upshot is, as I understand it, that with the 2018 Connect system you are not able to play mp3 files directly off a USB stick like you could with the earlier model years.
    The Spyder, for all years being essentially Apple based, this made the IPod, or IPhone an easier hookup. Can Am left the 3.5mm jack simply to let other devices work.

Like you, not sure that a small device exists that reads a USB stick music file and can read and play the data, then transmit. Kind of seems redundent as a MP3 player or IPod with BT has that capability. Storing music on a stick is more for PCs.

Hope you figuire it out.

Spyder Garage

Back to the Cargo Light...

Motivated to eliminate the timed delay set by BRP, I decided on modifying the the light circuit to allow me to set the time delay.

This will be great for us, as I have the oem frunk light and installed two of the frunk LEDs into the rear trunk.

Giving it some thought, the majority of wiring is already in place, just need a couple of items and time to accomplish it.

Spyder Garage

The Spyder, for all years being essentially Apple based, this made the IPod, or IPhone an easier hookup. Can Am left the 3.5mm jack simply to let other devices work.

Like you, not sure that a small device exists that reads a USB stick music file and can read and play the data, then transmit. Kind of seems redundent as a MP3 player or IPod with BT has that capability. Storing music on a stick is more for PCs.

Hope you figuire it out.
    It appears that you are confusing different models years and trying to say they are all the same. They are not.

All models with radios up to 2015 are the same. The DIN port is capable of stereo audio input, power output and data communication to an Apple I device. The radio does not have digital music player built in. Only analog audio input capable.

Model years 2016 and 2017 has a usb port and 3.5 mm audio port. The audio port is for stereo input. The usb port is for power and communication with an Apple I device or a usb stick. The radio has a digital music player built in. So is capable of playing several type of digital music files. Along with analog audio.

Model year 2018 has a 3.5 mm audio input. A usb port to power and communicate with Apple I phones and Android based phones. BT input/output to communicate with the phone for audio and phone control for phone calls. Everything controllable from the handlebars. Also BT input/output for the rider and passenger helmet communicators. Can play BT digital stream but no longer can play digital audio files like on a usb stick. Still capable of analog audio.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It appears that you are confusing different models years and trying to say they are all the same. They are not.

All models with radios up to 2015 are the same. The DIN port is capable of stereo audio input, power output and data communication to an Apple I device. The radio does not have digital music player built in. Only analog audio input capable.

Model years 2016 and 2017 has a usb port and 3.5 mm audio port. The audio port is for stereo input. The usb port is for power and communication with an Apple I device or a usb stick. The radio has a digital music player built in. So is capable of playing several type of digital music files. Along with analog audio.

Model year 2018 has a 3.5 mm audio input. A usb port to power and communicate with Apple I phones and Android based phones. BT input/output to communicate with the phone for audio and phone control for phone calls. Everything controllable from the handlebars. Also BT input/output for the rider and passenger helmet communicators. Can play BT digital stream but no longer can play digital audio files like on a usb stick. Still capable of analog audio.

To clarify, on the model years 2016 and 2017 with USB port, can an owner use music files on a USB stick, inserted into the USB port and with no other adapters, have the music play over the Spyders onboard sound system?

Spyder Garage

To clarify, on the model years 2016 and 2017 with USB port, can an owner use music files on a USB stick, inserted into the USB port and with no other adapters, have the music play over the Spyders onboard sound system?
    Yes

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Yes
    Very well then, other than being unaware the 16 and 17 had the ability to read digital music files I am good with it.

The other guy from Idaho is all over the place, can you explain it to him please.