Thread: F3 Fuel Cap

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Fuel Cap

Rode yesterday to my dealer to get some accessories I ordered for my new F3-Limited. On my ride back, I stopped for fuel and when I tried to close and lock the fuel cap, I could not push the cap down far enough for the key to turn and lock it.

After a few minutes, some one drove in and I asked for help. He used two hands to be able to push the cap down while I turned the key.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

It was 114 degrees out so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Spyder Garage

Default fuel cap

I had the same problem a few times on my 2015 F 3, I have not had the problem on my new 2017 F 3.

Spyder Garage
    PE #2735
    RUBBER SIDE DOWN SHINY SIDE UP!!!!!!!!!!
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly...

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Fuel Cap..

I noticed the other day, it was warm, that it took a bit of force to hold it down and lock it..for what Lamonster want for their cap I'll struggle..I like the fact that it is positive and would seem to keep the gas outa my crotch..

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Like the starting procedure, the gas cap closing has a specific sequence. After fueling, flop the cap back down into the hole. Turn the key clockwise until the cap drops almost all the way down. Turn the key anti-clockwise as far as it will go. Press down on the edges until it clicks. Turn the key anti-clockwise the rest of the way to noon then pull it out. Ready to roll.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Like the starting procedure, the gas cap closing has a specific sequence. After fueling, flop the cap back down into the hole. Turn the key clockwise until the cap drops almost all the way down. Turn the key anti-clockwise as far as it will go. Press down on the edges until it clicks. Turn the key anti-clockwise the rest of the way to noon then pull it out. Ready to roll.
    WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

THANK YOU!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BruceA View Post
    WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

THANK YOU!

Pluss spray WD40 or silicon spray on the rubber seal.

Spyder Garage

Save yourself the grief and purchase Lamont’s gas cap. I got one for my wife for her 2017 Daytona and was so impressed I ordered another for my 2016 F3T. About 20 - 30 min install.
    SpYderman

Spyder Garage

Default im disabled...

two people can hardly get this cap back down secured--have to ask the gas station attendant to push it down , and that is not even that easy

Quote Originally Posted by StickerPatch View Post
    I noticed the other day, it was warm, that it took a bit of force to hold it down and lock it..for what Lamonster want for their cap I'll struggle..I like the fact that it is positive and would seem to keep the gas outa my crotch..

Spyder Garage

Default fully replaced by BRP

a few weeks ago a fellow poster with same issue indicated that BRP installed a totally new/replacement cap mechanism---
    food for thought if the problem persists--
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceA View Post
    Rode yesterday to my dealer to get some accessories I ordered for my new F3-Limited. On my ride back, I stopped for fuel and when I tried to close and lock the fuel cap, I could not push the cap down far enough for the key to turn and lock it.

After a few minutes, some one drove in and I asked for help. He used two hands to be able to push the cap down while I turned the key.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

It was 114 degrees out so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Petrom714 View Post
    a few weeks ago a fellow poster with same issue indicated that BRP installed a totally new/replacement cap mechanism---
    food for thought if the problem persists--
    Thank you, that's good to know.
    Mine is working so far by using there procedure and a little lithium grease but if it acts uo again, I'll pressure BRP.

Spyder Garage

I have 'fixed' dozens of F3s with this complaint. A spritz of tri-flow lube on the cap latch mechanism and spread a little of the overspray on the rubber parts. Can close with one thumb easily. Repeat each oil change.

Just do not get why they are not lubricated from the factory or during dealer assembly but lubrication of mechanical parts is basic maintenance.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame