Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BRP Connect

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Connect

Those of you with a 2018 with BRP Connect, If you got it to work or you have suggestion put it here.

Spyder Garage

Default Genius Maps

Do I have to pay for the vehicle connect for it to work?

Spyder Garage

I just went to the Genius facebook page and they offer discounts on the service

Spyder Garage

Default you pay for the app

It looks like $2.99 USA

genius maps: gps navigation

Spyder Garage

My understanding is Genius Maps is only for point to point navigation, there is no ability to create custom routes....If anyone discovers a way to create custom routes with the 2018 let me know.... I always use custom routes for cross country trips...

Spyder Garage

I thought I read that Rever was used in some way. Never is a great product allowing you to customize routes. It resides on your phone. Only problem with us cheap folk is that int uses data all the time.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I thought I read that Rever was used in some way. Never is a great product allowing you to customize routes. It resides on your phone. Only problem with us cheap folk is that int uses data all the time.
    Yes, the Rever app is on BRP Connect, however, I talked with a Rever Tech, currently using Rever with BRP Connect you only have the ability to share current routes, BRP has not ok'd using Rever for custom routes, audio, point to point instructions, etc... The Rever Tech said BRP might allow its use in the future, for now only Genius Maps is permitted ..... I currently use Rever for custom routes, download to my Garmin, works fine for me !!!!! I like it better then Basecamp.....follows the route much better.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    The real problem with any app that requires continuous data to function is not the cost, but a great many of the best motorcycle routes are not interstate and do not have cell phone data available. Any GPS that cannot navigate on its own without a data connection is useless on a motorcycle.

Yes its true that genius maps cannot plan routes. Only point to point directions. As is, the BRP connect system is not a functional GPS for motorcycle touring. They have some development to do. If you purchase an 2018, suggest planning on using a Garmin for a while.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderglide View Post
    It looks like $2.99 USA

genius maps: gps navigation
    No the maps are free the connectivity is $50

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
    My understanding is Genius Maps is only for point to point navigation, there is no ability to create custom routes....If anyone discovers a way to create custom routes with the 2018 let me know.... I always use custom routes for cross country trips...
    Look on their facebook page it shows how to do that. It was either facebook or their website

Spyder Garage

I not a fan of BRP connect, I don't understand why BRP didn't use Apple Car Play or Android Play, look at the new 2018 Honda Gold Wing. Time will tell but I don't think they made the right choice.
    2015 RT L , Red

Spyder Garage

It is what it is

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2488485 View Post
    I not a fan of BRP connect, I don't understand why BRP didn't use Apple Car Play or Android Play, look at the new 2018 Honda Gold Wing. Time will tell but I don't think they made the right choice.
    With GW your choice is iPhone, or nothing. Android is not supported. Are you sure you would want to have BRP use Android Auto given Google's history of making revisions and updates? Rumors are Google may drop Android development. BRP Connect is the Spyder version of Bosch's mySpin auto connect system. When car brands like Toyota and Lexus don't use Android Auto you really need to wonder. And then consider the fact that 80% of the world's car makers are supporting MirrorLink to replace both Apple Car Play & Android Auto. Bosch has been working hand in hand with BRP since the inception of the Spyder. It only make sense they would cooperate on the smartphone connectivity side of things, especially since a version of mySpin has been modified by Bosch specifically for motorcycle use. Other than for GW Car Play and Android Auto have not been tweaked for motorcycle use.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker01red View Post

What I found is you pick a destination and navigate to it. Click OK then, at the bottom, click on the two lines icon that looks like a highway (2nd from the right). Then swipe up and save the route. Then end it and do a search and find the new route. (give it a specific name if you want) As it opens and you see the complete route you can zoom in to the road or POI you want and touch/hold and you'll see a 3rd point. It asks to add destination and you click OK. I'm not sure how many you can make, I think as many as you want. Then click the highway symbol and swipe up then click the "Route Stops". It's on this list that you can touch/hold each numbered point and move them up/down to rearrange them. Then click the top left arrow then the "Drive". You can then get going or swipe up and save the route again with the new points. One of the things I noticed is if you pick a point on a frontage road and you are on a highway, Genius maps will want you to take an exit and pass the point to eliminate it. So make sure you zoom in to get the point on the road or at the spot you want.

I did a video that shows a 3 point route. You don't hav to end it but I did for the hell of it.

https://youtu.be/2zbUgfL-2bY
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 02-11-2018 at 02:43 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Looks like a pain to complete, but if thats all you have then its better than nothing.

Ride safe!!
    2015 RT L , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I downloaded the BRP Connect app: Google Maps showed up in it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    What I found is you pick a destination and navigate to it. Click OK then, at the bottom, click on the two lines icon that looks like a highway (2nd from the right). Then swipe up and save the route. Then end it and do a search and find the new route. (give it a specific name if you want) As it opens and you see the complete route you can zoom in to the road or POI you want and touch/hold and you'll see a 3rd point. It asks to add destination and you click OK. I'm not sure how many you can make, I think as many as you want. Then click the highway symbol and swipe up then click the "Route Stops". It's on this list that you can touch/hold each numbered point and move them up/down to rearrange them. Then click the top left arrow then the "Drive". You can then get going or swipe up and save the route again with the new points. One of the things I noticed is if you pick a point on a frontage road and you are on a highway, Genius maps will want you to take an exit and pass the point to eliminate it. So make sure you zoom in to get the point on the road or at the spot you want.

I did a video that shows a 3 point route. You don't hav to end it but I did for the hell of it.

https://youtu.be/2zbUgfL-2bY
    Thanks for the info.....sounds complicated....not exactly user friendly ......
    Have you tried using Rever for custom routes ??? If not, give it a try... I find it is easy to use and most importantly it works !!! Follows my custom routes much better then Basecamp..... I guess it all depends on what software you feel comfortable with....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will probably start using Rever when it’s available in BRP connect. I have it and I’ve signed up for a few challenges. Hopefully won’t be long.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I will probably start using Rever when it’s available in BRP connect. I have it and I’ve signed up for a few challenges. Hopefully won’t be long.
    When Rever is available on BRP Connect, I think you will enjoy using it.... I will be checking the BRP Connect website for available apps, watching for it to happen......

Spyder Garage

We should suggest Apps that we think would be a nice addition to BRP Connect.

I'll start by suggesting GasBuddy or some other similar app that lets you find the cheapest gas in the area that you find yourself in at the time.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    When I downloaded the BRP Connect app: Google Maps showed up in it...
    Same with me. When you connect it to the bike the route is not there

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    We should suggest Apps that we think would be a nice addition to BRP Connect.

I'll start by suggesting GasBuddy or some other similar app that lets you find the cheapest gas in the area that you find yourself in at the time.
    How about:
    Sirius XM
    Fobo
    The Weather Channel
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We just bought a new Chev. Colorado and sounds like the BRP Connect is similar to OnStar and Android CarPlay, where they give you turn by turn directions and it is read out on the display thru your phone, so you have to rely on a OnStar agent to give you the correct route, all for $40.00 a month!! So we canx. that service because it was more hassle than it's worth and expensive. We just use our Garmin Zumo and I can plot my entire cross-country trip and can save the route and way points for future reference. Even the Garmin 660 on the '14 Spyders would appear to be more user-friendly then the new technology of today. We also use wired headsets and have no issues with "connectivity" and my phone Bluetooths thru my GPS with simple pairing. Hope all of you guys get all the teething issues worked out Good Luck!! Mad Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Same with me. When you connect it to the bike the route is not there
    Sounds like you need to get Genius Maps app which will enable you to download the map data for your country. In Genius Maps you can create routes and save POIs to use when riding. The yellow Maps is the Google or Apple Maps to help you know where you are.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    We just bought a new Chev. Colorado and sounds like the BRP Connect is similar to OnStar and Android CarPlay, where they give you turn by turn directions and it is read out on the display thru your phone, so you have to rely on a OnStar agent to give you the correct route, all for $40.00 a month!! So we canx. that service because it was more hassle than it's worth and expensive. We just use our Garmin Zumo and I can plot my entire cross-country trip and can save the route and way points for future reference. Even the Garmin 660 on the '14 Spyders would appear to be more user-friendly then the new technology of today. We also use wired headsets and have no issues with "connectivity" and my phone Bluetooths thru my GPS with simple pairing. Hope all of you guys get all the teething issues worked out Good Luck!! Mad Mac
    Not the same as Onstar. There is an initial fee but then you use it like a Garmin. Either in the app on the phone or on the bike, you can set up a route and it will give you directions. You might try downloading Genius Maps to find out how it works.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red