Thread: Second Key

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Second Key

I finally got a second key for my Spyder. I had to ride 150 miles one way to a dealer to get it done. The three Can Am dealers in my area would have to order the key blank which would take a week then I would have to leave my Spyder to get the key programmed. Sportsmen Corner in Algona, Iowa which is a Can Am dealer had key blanks in stock and has a place to cut them and would program it while I wait. They were much more reasonable in price than the other dealers. The key blank was $50.99, cutting the key was $10 and programming was $26.70. Total cost with tax was $93.83 which I was happy with. While it was connected to BUDS they checked for codes. Service tech said I had one active code which was 5 times DESS Key. He knew I had replaced the DESS module so disregarded them.

Sportsmen Corner is a small dealer in North Central Iowa. They handle Honda and Can Am products. They are in a farming area and sell a good number of four wheelers also near a lake and sell some water craft. They did have several Spyder's in stock. They had four 2018 RT's plus a demo. They didn't let me ride their 2018 RT Demo. They are a real, comma dating dealer. The reason I called them was that my Spyder was purchased new from them.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you've found the right dealer!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

......and I bet you would have been prepared to wait the week and pay the extra dollars that your local dealers were asking if they had been prepared to program your key while you waited, Gerald. Great customer focus is a big revenue raiser, but many dealers seem to have the attitude - “I’d have a great business here if it wasn’t for those pesky customers”.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    ......and I bet you would have been prepared to wait the week and pay the extra dollars that your local dealers were asking if they had been prepared to program your key while you waited, Gerald. Great customer focus is a big revenue raiser, but many dealers seem to have the attitude - “I’d have a great business here if it wasn’t for those pesky customers”.

Pete
    Yes, I would have but I will not leave my bike with any of the three local dealers I have. There would be an extra charge for something. I know most people on here think ever thing should be done by your local dealer.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS