Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Americade is dead

Rode up to Americade to spend the weekend gazing at the bikes, looking at some venders, eating great food and enjoying good MC conversations. I have been attending Americade for the last 22 years and its been going dowhill the last ten years. Too much commercialization of what used to be a friendly biker event. The main strip is now blocked by a circus looking arena where two paid fools burnt rubber for everyone to gawk at. No more relaxing and watching the parade of slow moving bikes traveling up and down main street. The vendor quality has plummeted to Chinese knockoffs. Parking has been seriously altered on main street but who cares because the "parade" is gone. No more are any bands, comedians and other talent allowed because the company who bought the rights want competition. This year I brought a friend who never attended an Americade and after one day he suggested we leave! We left Saturday morning and rode across NY state till Sunday evening. The old Americade is gone and welcome to the new commercialized profit ridden garbage called Americade. The old Goldwing riders who started Americade in the 1960s must be rolling in their graves....if they are dead...lol.

Spyder Garage

We didn't bother to go this year because we thought the same as you. It really has gone downhill the last number of years. That and the price of hotels around the area at that time just doesn't give me the desire to go.

Spyder Garage

We did not go to Americade either, because we had other things happening at that time. I've been there in previous years, ( 2 years ago,) at that time the vender area was hopping, and the main street was open to all traffic.

2 years ago I saw Lamont/ and Joan( I did not get a chance to talk to them ,they were on the other side of the street on there spyders.). The atmosphere was great. A lot of name brand motorcycles.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

If you look around the internet there are those that say they had a great time and it is fun (as I did and the 30 other people I attended with this year). We have been going for most of Americade's history (which started in 1982 not the 1960's) and is still managed by the same family and the 200 or so volunteers. We go for the roads, the people we see once a year, and yes even the events that Americade plans in its schedule.

Things change and sometimes for good sometimes (by opinion) for naught, but you will never please everyone --- and if it remained the same year after year people would complain about that as well.

Did you participate in the seminars, the shows, the speakers, the demo's, the opening ceremony, the fashion show, the riding team competition, the boat dinner cruises, the guided-unguided-or self guided rides, the open forum for discussion with national moto editors, the closing ceremonies and fire works? Or did you just look for the parade of bikes on the main drag and look at some of the roadside vendors? Maybe the trial of blocking Canada Street was to slow down the show offs that always appear? Canada Street used to be blocked off years ago for a block party, do you remember that?

As I said, change is inevitable and no matter how any event planner tries, you cannot please everyone. But I bet in 2019 another crowd will head to Lake George for Americade because they enjoy it, like the atmosphere, see old friends, and get out on the hundreds and hundreds of miles of Adirondack roads.

If it is not your cup of tea, that is OK too. There are several biker events I don't care for --- and don't attend myself throughout the northeast and elsewhere. That is why we all ride different rides, customize them our own way, and hang with the people we do. We're all individuals.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob L; 06-12-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Hey, Ted Nugent was the headliner two years ago. I heard nobody showed up.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default americade

I have gone to americade for 10 years less venders each year its because of the internet .I spoke to some of the companies they said americade charges a lot for space and more people shop the internet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Americade Inc.

Americade became great because simple people/bikers showed up and wanted to enjoy each others company. Everything you wrote about is the commercialization I detest. In your opinion you had a great time because you PAID to do so. I have not attended Americade for 22 years because I wanted Disneyland. I always enjoyed walking main street watching the parade of bikes, enjoying good bike conversation, free street bands and great food. Ocean City Md. bike week is going down the same path with commercializing their bike week. Many friends tell me the changes and its all about profit. People will still show up because it becomes a routine to do so and not because they had a great time. BTW....they closed main street to force everyone to buy their crappy overpriced tickets to gain access to what used to be free years ago. Those miles of razor fence were put up for a reason Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    If you look around the internet there are those that say they had a great time and it is fun (as I did and the 30 other people I attended with this year). We have been going for most of Americade's history (which started in 1982 not the 1960's) and is still managed by the same family and the 200 or so volunteers. We go for the roads, the people we see once a year, and yes even the events that Americade plans in its schedule.

Things change and sometimes for good sometimes (by opinion) for naught, but you will never please everyone --- and if it remained the same year after year people would complain about that as well.

Did you participate in the seminars, the shows, the speakers, the demo's, the opening ceremony, the fashion show, the riding team competition, the boat dinner cruises, the guided-unguided-or self guided rides, the open forum for discussion with national moto editors, the closing ceremonies and fire works? Or did you just look for the parade of bikes on the main drag and look at some of the roadside vendors? Maybe the trial of blocking Canada Street was to slow down the show offs that always appear? Canada Street used to be blocked off years ago for a block party, do you remember that?

As I said, change is inevitable and no matter how any event planner tries, you cannot please everyone. But I bet in 2019 another crowd will head to Lake George for Americade because they enjoy it, like the atmosphere, see old friends, and get out on the hundreds and hundreds of miles of Adirondack roads.

If it is not your cup of tea, that is OK too. There are several biker events I don't care for --- and don't attend myself throughout the northeast and elsewhere. That is why we all ride different rides, customize them our own way, and hang with the people we do. We're all individuals.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Hey, Ted Nugent was the headliner two years ago. I heard nobody showed up.
    What's wrong with Ted Nugent, you left us hanging with that one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking the same thing. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    What's wrong with Ted Nugent, you left us hanging with that one.

Spyder Garage

Default Better question...

Who is Ted Nugent?

Sorry guys... not being stupid... just really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Without doing the Google thing, I think he's a conservative comedian.

Spyder Garage

wow.....he is a singer, has been performing a long time at 69 years old.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Ride View Post
    Who is Ted Nugent?

Extreme right-wing musical celebrity.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everyone was afraid of getting the Cat Scratch Fever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Extreme right-wing musical celebrity.
    And there is the answer.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    And there is the answer.
    I believe he would agree. There was no value judgment intended.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Who is Ted Nugent?

Well "Wang Bang Sweet Poontang" and pass the ammo, you are stunningly young, bless you.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

The americade was originally called the aspencade ,i do not know what year but would have to be in the 80's. I have gone to the americade several times and enjoyed myself .Everyone is friendly ,and lots of stuff to see ,and buy .No more rodeo ,being an ex barrel racer i missed that, and the great meal they put on .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Who is Ted Nugent?

Well "Wang Bang Sweet Poontang" and pass the ammo, you are stunningly young, bless you.
    he was the lead singer for his name. hard rocker in 70's, he did join Damn Yankee's with 2 other well known rockers. had a great song "high enough",he is known for great guitar play and a wild rocker in 70's. I knew him but didn't follow him
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

If you're unhappy with Americade, try SpyderQuest.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Ride View Post
    Who is Ted Nugent?

2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    If you're unhappy with Americade, try SpyderQuest.

Spyder Garage

I know from a pin that I have been going to Americade since 1988. Maybe before that too, I just don't remember that far back. I do know that Canada St. was not blocked off in the last thirty years. Until this year. I have to say that it was a very stupid thing to do. I was there for the week and yes, I did demo rides, tours and lots of the other stuff. I always have a good time up there but shutting down Canada St. ruined the street scene in the evening.

I liked it better when the expo was on the beach and free parking in the grass. The reason for the move was that the state wanted too much money for the lease. The lack of vendors over the years was due to the cost and a declining amount of sales. This was due to the economy.

Will I go again? Absolutely. But if Canada Street is closed again I may skip a few years.