Spyder Garage

Default Front Brake biased wear

UPDATE 6/12 8 PM (see my post #7 lower down, bound outer brake pad)
    So I have a 6k plus trip planned later this month, and my '13 Spyder RTL is just over 23k. I thought I better check and or replace my front brake pads. (The rear rotor and pads were replaced at Spyderfest '17 when a warped rear rotor was diagnosed). I watched Finless Bob's vid on checking pad life/wear and just really couldn't see the inner pads like I could the outer pads (when mounted on the bike). Pulling the right rotor the pads looked pretty good, pulling the left I discovered the inner pad was down to the back plate.

Ordered new EBC Rotors and fully sintered pads from Baja Ron

Now I gotta R&R the brake fluid and should be stopping good.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 06-12-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added Update
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FRONT BRAKE WEAR

I think there is something not quite right with your LEFT caliper ...... At 23,000 mi. my front pads were not even HALF worn ( I have 38,00+ and the pads are ok ) ..... since your RIGHT side pads look good ......the LEFTside definitely has an issue that I think you need to deal with or the same thing is going to happen with the new parts ....jmho .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree that something is not right there......but not having a complete explanation of what parts came from where makes for some guesswork.

IF.....the thin, burnt pads came from the same side.....where the rotor also looks burnt......then you have some kind of a problem with the caliper on that side. It might be the caliper itself or something in the system might be holding pressure there when it shouldn't.

You definitely should NOT just replace the rotor and pads without finding out what caused the excessive wear.......or you will just be throwing your money away. And on a hard stop, the fronts might not work right either. Could be dangerous.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike and ER. That's what I was thinking and have an appointment to let my favorite local Spyder mechanic flush and refill the brake system, then test it out. Yes all teh worn/burnt components came from the left front and the right side looked normal with plenty of usable life left. I had just decided to upgrade to the EBC components since I'm heavy (260lbs), a lead foot that likes to fly fast to a quick stop at the corners requiring a stop.
    For the Brake experts, is it possible the right side had air in the line reducing it's stopping power and pad wear? I gotta say I ride the RTL hard and brake hard over the last 15k since I bought it. It's never seemed to "pull" when stopping.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    It's never seemed to "pull" when stopping.
    When a caliper sticks, it often pulls when GOING.
    A pinched or collapsed hose can cause a one-way valve kind of action......allowing the caliper to pinch but not release.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default very interesting brake pad wear

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I had both fronts/ and the rear brake PADS replaced last month. The spyder had :22,538 miles.

This is the first set of front/rear PADS changed.

The front pads were very worn down, almost to the metal.

I did not have the rotors changed.

Deanna
    " the front pads were worn down, almost to the metal " @ 22,538 ..... #1. I rode with you for almost 5 years - you don't ride aggressively .... #2 we have the same Spyder RT , I now have over 38,500 mi., I still have a safe margin of Pad left - WHY .......... I think you were lied to .....Land Air ( your Dealer ) is NOT known for their business ethics ................ Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-12-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Bound outer left brake pad

Update and probable answer to why my front left pads / rotor wore so much more than my right side.
    I did get a BRP certified Can AM Spyder tech answer in person today.
    Turns out it's likely that my left outside pad had bound up in the caliper and wasn't sliding properly causing the inner to make up the difference, causing it to wear much more than all the other front pads leading to it's demise.
    My new pads were mounted with a little dab of grease where the back plate "fingers" and the central hole that slides on the pin. They seem to "float" nice when no brake pedal pressure is in the mix. The tech checked my brake fluid and didn't think it needed changing. (It might have been changed at the dealer I bought it from back in '16).
    And to clarify the pics above
    The 1st picture in post #1 shows my new pads (at top of pic) and only my left side pads, the very worn down to the back plate pad on the right.
    Having done this myself now, I'll make it my annual spring pre ride maintenance to pop the tires and calipers off and check the pads and their ease of movement within the caliper.
    I will also be checking the brakes after my 6k ride at the end of the month.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020