Spyder Garage

Default Lost Lug Nut in First Week

So, I have a brand new 2017 RT Limited...and within the first week I noticed a lug nut on the front wheel was missing. I assumed my local dealer would have made sure the lug nuts were properly torqued before I took it off the lot. How common is it for the lug nut to get loose on the front wheels? I'd hate to think that I have to check for missing lug nuts every time I depart and return from a ride.

As a side question, I probably took no more than a 20 mile ride where the lug nut failed somewhere within that 20 miles. Anything I should be worrying about with regards to what kind of damage the wheel/bearing may have undergone with the missing lug nut?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    So, I have a brand new 2017 RT Limited...and within the first week I noticed a lug nut on the front wheel was missing. I assumed my local dealer would have made sure the lug nuts were properly torqued before I took it off the lot. How common is it for the lug nut to get loose on the front wheels? I'd hate to think that I have to check for missing lug nuts every time I depart and return from a ride.

As a side question, I probably took no more than a 20 mile ride where the lug nut failed somewhere within that 20 miles. Anything I should be worrying about with regards to what kind of damage the wheel/bearing may have undergone with the missing lug nut?
    On RT's the dealer installs the front wheels. Either forgot to torque that one or worse yet did not torque any of them. When properly torqued to spec. They don't normally come loose.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    On RT's the dealer installs the front wheels. Either forgot to torque that one or worse yet did not torque any of them. When properly torqued to spec. They don't normally come loose.
    what is the torque ?
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Checking the lug nuts is one of the things Can-Am recommends you do before every ride, along with tire pressure, etc.

Someone did not torque the lug nuts properly. Go back to the dealer and have them replace it and check the torque on all the lug nuts. Sounds like a newbie did it the first time and you would be doing the dealer a favor in bringing that oversight to their attention.

Once properly torqued, they don't come loose. Not to worry.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Checking the lug nuts is one of the things Can-Am recommends you do before every ride, along with tire pressure, etc.

Someone did not torque the lug nuts properly. Go back to the dealer and have them replace it and check the torque on all the lug nuts. Sounds like a newbie did it the first time and you would be doing the dealer a favor in bringing that oversight to their attention.

Once properly torqued, they don't come loose. Not to worry.
    x 2.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anything I should be worrying about with regards to what kind of damage the wheel/bearing may have undergone with the missing lug nut?
    No, as long as the others were tight there should be no problem. If the others were loose, you would have noticed a wheel wobble and that would indicate the wheel itself needs to be checked. I doubt you have any other damage, but by all means have the dealer take responsibility for checking it out!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    what is the torque ?
    In the specification section of the 2017 RT owners manual says "105 N•m to 113 N•m (77 lbf•ft to 83 lbf•ft)"

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

They need to be properly torqued to prevent brake rotor distortion. Twenty miles should be no issue. Just make sure your dealer gets the job done correctly......
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thank you to everyone that responded. My plan is to get a lug nut from the dealer, put it on my bike, bring the bike in for inspection and have tighten what needs to be tightened.

My sense of the local dealership is that they're good people but understaffed/overworked allowing mistakes to happen. Hopefully, they'll get it figured out soon.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I got my 2016 F3L home and wanted to install the centamatic balencers the lugs were at 150 ft lbs.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

As soon as I got mine home I checked the torque on the front wheels, tire air pressures, and a few other items and they all were off. They also didn't give me enough gas to ride 50 miles home. I haven't been back.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you to everyone that responded. My plan is to get a lug nut from the dealer, put it on my bike, bring the bike in for inspection and have tighten what needs to be tightened.

My sense of the local dealership is that they're good people but understaffed/overworked allowing mistakes to happen. Hopefully, they'll get it figured out soon.
    I appreciate your attitude. I'm sure your dealer will also.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Always good to double check your ride after someone else has worked on it-

Yes it would be nice to be able to trust everyone, but on something that you depend to get you home in one piece it doesn't hurt to give it the once over. I especially like to make sure the air pressures and torques are uniform and can then be satisfied it is A-OK for the next ride. Plus it gives you experience with your machine and you know the next time you have the wheels off, they will not be "welded" on or disks warped. Take care of your ride, and it will take care of you.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    When I got my 2016 F3L home and wanted to install the centamatic balencers the lugs were at 150 ft lbs.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic