Spyder Garage

Default 2013 spyder rt-s sm5 clutch

It's a 2013 and has 400 miles on it......first noticed the clutch seemed to pull easier....then noticdd that with it pulled in bike would move at idle speed....now don't think it's working at all...can't shift gear with engine on...just stalls ....can get to neutral....any similar experience or ideas?

Spyder Garage

Seems like your clutch master cylinder needs a good flushing or taken apart and cleaned and if that is gunked up the slave cylinder will need attention too. Low mileage, age, and lack of use can cause problems.

Spyder Garage

That is what I started thinking… Took the Cap off the fluid reservoir and it looks a bit dry… Maybe some DOT4.will help… was told before I picked it up that had been taken to a dealer to be serviced oil changed etc. as it had been sitting for a while ..... maybe the clutch system was not part of the going over.…hope the fluid is enough to drive it as my 5x10 trailer is to narrow to haul it...

Spyder Garage

I agree with the clutch fluid idea. I would highly recommend a complete flush and bleed of the hydraulic lines before riding it anywhere. If the seals got dry then you're likely looking at a full rebuild. It's not as hard as it sounds, but those rubber seals don't like to get dried out.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

My low mileage 2011 RT sm5 had the same problem. The o-rings in the master cylinder dry out. Try adding fluid to the slave cylinder on the handlebar. Hopefully you can get your clutch working again. Then keep a close eye on the fluid. Keep it topped up. The 0-rings are inexpensive from Cheap parts. You can find a video to show you how to replace them. I rode mine for three months just by keeping fluid in the slave cylinder until I got the machine home and fixed it.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

DOT4 was the answer...the reservoir was basically dry....since it set for some time dry O rings may be an issue....will keep the fluid topped off and have it checked when I take it in for service.....though it's a 2013 and was allegedly serviced I intend to have the regular schedule service at 600 miles.