Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default riding 2 up with a freedom trailer question

We purchased a new freedom trailer and are out on the second trip with it. On both trips, my wife is complaining that there is a strong smell of exhaust, and she is getting headaches. I, as the rider, don't smell the exhaust. I have looked under the bike and there are no signs of anything broken on the exhaust, and it's still nice and quiet.

We put two other things on the bike at the same time as the trailer, one I am sure is not a contributor, that is the TricLED Batwing. It goes across the hitch as a rock guard. I cannot see how that would effect the exhaust.

The other was 7jurock windshield. 27" high with a flip, 2" wider each side. This is undoubtedly effecting the airflow, and "could" be creating a back draft to bring the exhaust up to my wife. However, we have done tests with the windshield up, down and in the middle, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks
    Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default Same issue here

Hi Ray, have same issue with my 2014 rts and 622 trailer. I have added a couple things this spring to try and eliminate issue. I added adjustable side deflectors and also a mud flap to hopefully change the vacuum effect in the rear of the bike so it doesn’t pull the fumes up to the passenger. We’re heading out on our first trip of the season in a week and half so I can let you know after we return if it appears to have helped.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    We purchased a new freedom trailer and are out on the second trip with it. On both trips, my wife is complaining that there is a strong smell of exhaust, and she is getting headaches. I, as the rider, don't smell the exhaust. I have looked under the bike and there are no signs of anything broken on the exhaust, and it's still nice and quiet.

We put two other things on the bike at the same time as the trailer, one I am sure is not a contributor, that is the TricLED Batwing. It goes across the hitch as a rock guard. I cannot see how that would effect the exhaust.

The other was 7jurock windshield. 27" high with a flip, 2" wider each side. This is undoubtedly effecting the airflow, and "could" be creating a back draft to bring the exhaust up to my wife. However, we have done tests with the windshield up, down and in the middle, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks
    Ray
    Have you installed a cat bypass exhaust pipe? Is the exhaust system stock?

Some passengers mention smelling exhaust fumes after installing the bypass pipe.

We have a 14 RTS, and 622 trailer, plus have the bypass pipe. With the oem windscreen or the now installed F4, we have yet to smell exhaust fumes.

I did fabricate a secondary mugflap to prevent waterspray from getting on the back of the passenger. Possibly that alters the airflow path around the rear of the Spyder.
    Last edited by PMK; 06-14-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Is your windscreen vented? Venting helps reduce vacuum pressure behind the windscreen. If not vented you are likely pulling exhaust up into the vacuum created by your larger screen. To help, try removing the little wind deflectors below your mirrors. That will allow a bit more air to flow around you and your passenger. If that does it for you, then I would invest in the adjustable deflectors. As a safety measure, make sure you pull over for lots of breaks when your passenger is feeling ANY exhaust effects. Don't let her try to "tough it out". You need to resolve this. Good luck.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The air whips around the Spyder. Without the trailer even, my flags fly backward and in rainy weather I get as much or more dirt on the backside of the windshield as the front. Do a search on exhaust. It was discussed a lot a couple of years ago and there were several suggestions about how to alleviate it. The tall and wide windshield adds to the problem I'm sure. I have the tall and wide F4 shield.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Hi Ray, have same issue with my 2014 rts and 622 trailer. I have added a couple things this spring to try and eliminate issue. I added adjustable side deflectors and also a mud flap to hopefully change the vacuum effect in the rear of the bike so it doesn’t pull the fumes up to the passenger. We’re heading out on our first trip of the season in a week and half so I can let you know after we return if it appears to have helped.
    Looking forward to hearing what happens.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Have you installed a cat bypass exhaust pipe? Is the wxhaust system stock?

Some passengers mention smelling exhaust fumes after installing the bypass pipe.

We have a 14 RTS, and 622 trailer, plus have the bypass pipe. With the oem windscreen or the now installed F4, we have yet to smell exhaust fumes.

I did fabricate a secondary mugflap to prevent waterspray from getting on the back of the passenger. Possibly that alters the airflow path around the rear of the Spyder.
    We have a stock exhaust, no changes to that at all

I also added a lower mud flap last year, it did not create the exhaust problem

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Is your windscreen vented? Venting helps reduce vacuum pressure behind the windscreen. If not vented you are likely pulling exhaust up into the vacuum created by your larger screen. To help, try removing the little wind deflectors below your mirrors. That will allow a bit more air to flow around you and your passenger. If that does it for you, then I would invest in the adjustable deflectors. As a safety measure, make sure you pull over for lots of breaks when your passenger is feeling ANY exhaust effects. Don't let her try to "tough it out". You need to resolve this. Good luck.
    No the wind screen is not vented, short of the two holes in the front, same as the OEM wind screen. I will pull off the lower deflectors tomorrow before we head out.
    I'll let you know how this works. I do stop for her a lot. Luckily for her, after 32 years, I still want to keep her around......

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Ray
    I got a 2014 rt same trailer no issues.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes Same Problem after cat delete

Thanks
    Ray
    We just made our first trip this weekend after trailering the bike to Spyderfest, where we had a cat delete done. I also have the Freedom trailer. In the past I have not noticed any exhaust smell, but this last trip I did while pulling the trailer. My wife also complained about the smell and had a headache as well. I did a bit of looking after we returned home to find I have exhaust leakage at the joint where the stock muffler connects to the cat delete pipe. I suspect there may be some leakage where the cat delete pipe connects to the exhaust manifold. I also have the extra mud flaps installed. I am going to use some muffler wrap at the joint and re-clamp to see if I can stop the leakage, and take it out for a spin to see if that will alleviate the problem. Please let me know if you find a solution..
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Having pulled a trailer with several motorcycles of different types and sizes
    I can tell you this is very common, the trailer changes the aerodynamics of the
    motorcycle and or the Spyder and creates a different shape air bubble around the passenger.
    The only thing I ever found that helped was to change where the exhaust came out,
    I found on my Harley and my GoldWings that changing the end on the exhaust pipe from
    strait out the back to curved and out the the side was a major help.
    any good muffler shop can make up the pipe mine was a slip on that I could remove.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Having pulled a trailer with several motorcycles of different types and sizes
    I can tell you this is very common, the trailer changes the aerodynamics of the
    motorcycle and or the Spyder and creates a different shape air bubble around the passenger.
    The only thing I ever found that helped was to change where the exhaust came out,
    I found on my Harley and my GoldWings that changing the end on the exhaust pipe from
    strait out the back to curved and out the the side was a major help.
    any good muffler shop can make up the pipe mine was a slip on that I could remove.
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Thanks Dave, yes this is the same conclusion I have some too. I will get 2 pipes made up the will direct the exhaust to the side, when we get back home.

Last night we stayed with some family. This morning I was able to take the trailer off and we went for a 15km ride through town and then 15km back on the highway. There is no issues without the trailer on, so it isn't the 7jurock windshield (although the combination of trailer and windshield may still be the problem).

When we got back from and before heading out today I took off the air wings under the mirrors. My wife says on a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being perfect, it's a 8. So, good enough we can continue the trip, but not good enough forever.

I also noticed that there is a pocket or depression in the front of the trailer. I am wondering why it's there, as this seems like it would trap the air and cause back pressure. Does anyone know if I was to put plastic over it would it make the trailer less stable?
    IMG_4048.jpg

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default Patched Exhaust leak !!

Thanks
    Ray
    As I mentioned previously while also riding with our freedom trailer this past weekend and after a cat delete at spyder fest we also smelled exhaust fumes. I had not noticed the fumes while riding with the trailer before. I did examine the bike for exhaust leaks and found it leaking at the bypass pipe and muffler joint. I've attached a pic of the repair I made with some muffler wrap tape and it did stop the exhaust leak. There was no leakage at the pipe where it connects to the exhaust manifold. Thought I would take the bike out with the trailer this evening for a while to see if we can still smell exhaust fumes. I'll let you know the outcome.

EXH Patch.JPG
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Have you installed a cat bypass exhaust pipe? Is the exhaust system stock?

I did fabricate a secondary mudflap to prevent water spray from getting on the back of the passenger. Possibly that alters the airflow path around the rear of the Spyder.
    Need to add, we also have the adjustable wind deflectors installed, typically run in the middle setting.

Also our RTS does not have those huge oem mirrors installed.

With that said, disregard comparing our setup to anyone elses as ours is quite a bit different aerodynamically.

Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust fumes 2 up trailering.

2016 RT-S 2 up with a Black Widow trailer and experienced the same thing. the cure ( for us ) was removal of the after market fender Mud Flap we installed and trimming the Can Am mud flap on the Can Am trailer hitch, which I will be removing completely. Makes the rear messy , but eliminates the fumes. Don't really know why but on a chilly AM, first start for a few minutes, you can see how the exhaust spills up and around the front of the trailer.

Spyder Garage

Back home, and the Wife is still breathing, although barely.

We tried several things since writing. part of this trip was to the Lake Pateroes Pac NW spyder rally. We talked with a few others who are riding 2 up with the freedom trailers, and none have the exhaust issue. We compared the setups on the bikes, and the only 3 differences were they didn't have the larger wind screens, the TricLED batwing or the added mud flap.

So, we took off the added mud flap and bat wing off, and while the batwing made no noticeable difference, removing the mud flap made it far, far worse. So, part way home today we put them back on. The last thing to do is to put on the OEM windscreen and see if that does anything. If not, I will try making some pipes to turn the exhaust (outwards??)

The only we have found that makes a positive difference was removing the air wings under the mirrors.

Just keeping everyone up to date. Unfortunately we work, so the next test will be next weekend.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update. I, too, pull a trailer and am very interested in your findings. Keep us posted.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Update to info

Looking forward to hearing what happens.
    Well, we just did a 400 mile round trip to Benezette Pennsylvania, which was amazing if you want to see bull elk walk outside your front door! Anyway, our setup now with the adjustable side deflectors, e tended mud flap and vented windshield has resulted in no fumes for my wife! So, I’m not 100% sure which of the 3 things fixed the issue, or maybe combination of things, but my hunch is that the extended mudflap really made a difference and I would say that’s an inexpensive simple first step to try.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Well, we just did a 400 mile round trip to Benezette Pennsylvania, which was amazing if you want to see bull elk walk outside your front door! Anyway, our setup now with the adjustable side deflectors, e tended mud flap and vented windshield has resulted in no fumes for my wife! So, I’m not 100% sure which of the 3 things fixed the issue, or maybe combination of things, but my hunch is that the extended mudflap really made a difference and I would say that’s an inexpensive simple first step to try.
    We have the extended mud flap, which, when we took off made a huge negative effect. So, yes I can say that it helps. Unfortunately, every time I have the time to do more experiments, it is raining here. But, so far I have not found a solution.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Your progress so far has just convinced me of the value of the adjustable air wings below the mirrors. I routinely take mine off for warm weather and put them on for cooler. For warm weather, the adjustable wings can be opened up to direct airflow into the cockpit area. Cool or wet weather they can be closed for protection. Expensive for a couple hunks of plastic but perhaps the function makes it worthwhile.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Remove the W/S and try it. Next, can you lower the W/S. You should not be looking through the W/S but your eyes/ should be looking over the W/S and at a spot 50' beyond the Spyder. This would be the correct and best adjustment for all Spyders and motorcycles.

If lowering is not possible I would get the W/S cut down to conform to this proper height.

Wider and higher W/S's that you look through and not over are not recommended for many reasons, one of which you mentioned in the above.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Remove the W/S and try it. Next, can you lower the W/S. You should not be looking through the W/S but your eyes/ should be looking over the W/S and at a spot 50' beyond the Spyder. This would be the correct and best adjustment for all Spyders and motorcycles.

If lowering is not possible I would get the W/S cut down to conform to this proper height.

Wider and higher W/S's that you look through and not over are not recommended for many reasons, one of which you mentioned in the above.

Jack
    Thanks Jack,

I have tried with the windscreen in 3 positions. Up, middle and down. My wife says that it made no noticeable difference to the exhaust smell.

I do want to put on the OEM windshield and try that, but as I said, everytime I have the time, it's pouring rain. Been a late spring here.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Your progress so far has just convinced me of the value of the adjustable air wings below the mirrors. I routinely take mine off for warm weather and put them on for cooler. For warm weather, the adjustable wings can be opened up to direct airflow into the cockpit area. Cool or wet weather they can be closed for protection. Expensive for a couple hunks of plastic but perhaps the function makes it worthwhile.
    The baker wings are really pricey, and so it's one of the last things I want to try. The other thing is putting on a luggage rack, and making a solid platform for it, thus creating a rear wing to try to change how the air flow over the back of the bike is. I have read on here that it also works.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I looked at Baker Wings and couldn't find adjustable replacements for the wind deflectors that bolt directly beneath the mirrors. I did find some online that sells for about $160.00. Tried other vendors here and didn't find what I was looking for. I would prefer to patronize our vendors. If there are any adjustable replacements for the lower wind deflectors from any of our sponsor vendors please advise..... Wife is out of town and credit card in hand..... What I am looking for are adjustable deflectors that replace the existing OEM deflectors and bolt to the existing fasteners.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 06-27-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    You should not be looking through the W/S but your eyes/ should be looking over the W/S and at a spot 50' beyond the Spyder. This would be the correct and best adjustment for all Spyders and motorcycles.
    Why do you say that? I've been looking through the w/s all the years I've been riding a Goldwing and Spyder. I use the w/s, not the face shield, to keep the wind out of my eyes.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)