Spyder Garage

Default F3 S R Shock Advice

Not at all happy with the stock F3 S R shock. It's OK; barely--it's too soft for my 185lbs---bet it'll be really great [or not] for two up riding--given the NO spring pre-load! I've looked at the BRP/FOX (the $650 one, not the cheapo one) shock, and the Elka Stage 2 (I'd really like to run with the Stage 4 but can't gut the extra $200.00 for a compression circuit). I'm definitely leaning towards the Elka (never heard anyone here who's said anything other than they make a good shock), but would consider another brand "if" anyone has had actual experience with one and cost is in the same ball park as the $600.00 Stage 2 Elka.

No air shocks! Just coil overs. TY!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

wow. rear suspension pricing is shocking

Spyder Garage

Good you are skipping over the occasional two up shock the F3S needs adjustable shock hope you find a good one. Then I might know what to get for mine

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you go Elka I would check with them about warranty. They used to only warranty their shocks if they were removed and shipped back to be rebuilt every year. If you don't do that and they start leaking, you are out of coverage. Not sure about Fox.
    I went to the occasional 2 up shock and it is adequate. Much better than the one that came with it.
    Does Fox even make one for the rear shock on the F3S?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    I went to the occasional 2 up shock and it is adequate. Much better than the one that came with it. Does Fox even make one for the rear shock on the F3S?
    I would agree on the '2 up' - good enough for everyday use as a single rider.

Fox do make an upgraded adjustable rear but it is expensive - a UK listing as an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOX-Adjusta...EAAOSw44BYXPq3

This replaced the podium 2.0 with separate reservoir, although some sellers still have left units of those.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

The no.1 choice for aftermarket in Europe at the moment is Shock Factory:

http://www.shock-factory.co.uk/m-shocks-home.html

a British/French company. I'm hearing great things about them and intend fitting a full set in the future.

Unfortunately I can't see that they sell into the US so would have to be imported individually. Prices are £350 for their rear and £600 for a front pair. Those prices include 20% tax so you would get that taken off before shipping overseas and then pay tax at your end.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

If you go Elka I would check with them about warranty. They used to only warranty their shocks if they were removed and shipped back to be rebuilt every year. If you don't do that and they start leaking, you are out of coverage. Not sure about Fox.
    I went to the occasional 2 up shock and it is adequate. Much better than the one that came with it.
    Does Fox even make one for the rear shock on the F3S?
    This was never true for Spyder installations and was clarified here on Spyderlovers by Elka.

I have the Elka stage 2 rear on my F3S and its great. Love the dual rate spring setup they use. Soft ride for minor bumps and stiffens up for larger excursions.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    This was never true for Spyder installations and was clarified here on Spyderlovers by Elka.

I have the Elka stage 2 rear on my F3S and its great. Love the dual rate spring setup they use. Soft ride for minor bumps and stiffens up for larger excursions.

When I suggested that he check with them about the annual rebuild, I was remembering this thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=elka+leaking

Spyder Garage

From what I gathered by a quick glance on their website, their shocks are only warrantied for 1 year (https://us.elkasuspension.com/support/warranty/).

Aside from this, Elka recommends a maintenance schedule for motorcycle shocks (https://elkasuspension.dozuki.com/Do...5YXm4X3Ag/.pdf - logically for Spyder too since their options are Motorcycles or Powersports for guides) at the end of every riding season / 1 year to change oil, piston and wearband, clean interior parts, check nitrogen pressure (each 6 months or each year, depending on usage)

So looking at the thread Doc referenced, it looks accurate.....he was beyond a year, and regardless of mileage, they recommend annual service (but warranty still expires after 1 year).
    Boris - The Spyder

Monster FI Stage 1, Elka Stage 2 F&R, BajaRon Swaybar, Lamonster Links,
    Akrapovic Straight Shot Silencer, Madstad Windshield, Cannonball Seats, Driver Backrest, Driver Footboards,
    15" Fat 6 Chrome Wheels, LED Headlights, LED Fog Lights, Chrome Handlebars, Chrome Frame Caps, Front Cargo 12v Power Outlet Kit,
    Ram Phone Mount, USB Power (Handlebars), Full-Size Brake Pedal, Lamonster 3rd Peg w/ Kuryakyn Trident Large ISO-Pegs, Cross-Country Detachable Saddlebags
    2015 F3 , Stock I use the Extended Brake Pedal Silver with black stripes and Can-Am Red/Orange accents

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the input!

Rondaa------YOU'RE supposed to be advising me--not the other way around!

EricP--good info to know, TY!

jcthorne----TY for the F3 S first hand!

OK.................exhaust first (TBR-S1R slip on with P1X tip and can opener baffle)---then the stage 2 Elka!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

When I suggested that he check with them about the annual rebuild, I was remembering this thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=elka+leaking

And in that thread, John from Elka states in post 26 that annual rebuilds are NOT necessary for Spyders.

I have not seen a single incidence of a Spyder owner 'wearing out' an Elka shock. Yes a scant few developed leaks due to faulty seals but Elka covered the cost to rebuild those.

They can and do eventually wear out but they are MUCH longer lived than the OEM shocks and are rebuild-able when they do. There is no need to send them in for rebuild until they fail. For most, the bike will be long gone before that happens.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

TBR exhaust, P1X, and baffle enroute!

Elka Stage 2 tomorrow!

UPDATE 6/12/18: Ordered it.......supposed to be here the first week of July.
    Last edited by Flanker; 06-12-2018 at 04:43 PM.