Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HYDROPLANING

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Unless if you're one of those ryders using CAR tires. Then there might be some relevance, don't you think? After all, the tire doesn't know or care what kind of vehicle it's mounted on.
    Oh yes they do care !!!!! and they DO know
    If I had a very light vehicle, say a Lotus 7, or Polaris Slingshot, running "rain" tires vs "slicks" would make a difference in the wet. I would guess a Spyder, other than the 3 wheels, might behave similarly with the same tire choice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Instead of , care to explain? Please, enlighten us.

Vertical and lateral loads on a contact patch are dependent on only the forces imparted by suspension geometry and vehicle weight.. .not the type of vehicle. Please explain how a Spyder's front suspension design imparts different loads than any other vehicle with unequal length A-arm and shock arrangement (like that on a Lotus Super 7 or Polaris Slingshot or formula ford)? The physics are the same. The coefficient of static and rolling friction, which relates to grip in the real world, are governed only by physical laws like weight and direction of forces, not type of vehicle.

You yourself are running Michelin Hydroedge car tires ... surely there must've been some rationale behind your choice.
    Last edited by asp125; 06-11-2018 at 09:48 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RELEVENCE

Instead of , care to explain? Please, enlighten us.

Vertical and lateral loads on a contact patch are dependent on only the forces imparted by suspension geometry and vehicle weight.. .not the type of vehicle. Please explain how a Spyder's front suspension design imparts different loads than any other vehicle with unequal length A-arm and shock arrangement (like that on a Lotus Super 7 or Polaris Slingshot or formula ford)? The physics are the same. The coefficient of static and rolling friction, which relates to grip in the real world, are governed only by physical laws like weight and direction of forces, not type of vehicle.

You yourself are running Michelin Hydroedge car tires ... surely there must've been some rationale behind your choice.
    I had to add something ( ) to my post or it wouldn't allow posting it !!!! .......... and after reading your second paragraph ...well I'm so Totally in Awe I'm speechless ....... last sentence, - yes there was, two actually ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For anyone reading this who actually wants to alleviate the perils of hydroplaning -
    From my experience with it on my first day of spyder ownership on a few hundred k's ride to get it home through Melbourne on footy grand final day, got caught in a huge rain dump - turned to astonishment that three wheel spyder handled it so much better than two wheels

My two lessons that day
    1 slow down when you see deep water on road ahead
    2 (same as in cars) turn cruise control OFF if you don't want a nasty lesson at the end of the water..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, the Hydroedge tire is no longer in production. Anyone know what would be a good substitute?

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-...s-a-great-tire

The Michelin HydroEdge is a great option for drivers who want a good blend of comfort and durability at a reasonable price.

It has been very popular with Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna minivan owners (among others) due to its low rolling resistance, superb hydroplaning resistance and year-round traction, even in light snow.

The dual circumferential center grooves and high-angle HydroChutes combine to pump water from under the tire's footprint to enhance hydroplaning resistance and wet traction.

2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Huh? What's that you say? Speak up I can't hear ya!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Reading this thread and Chuck's thread about hydroplaning caused me to look at my tires and try to come to some conclusion. Tread on all three are at 80% or better. All three tires have 4 deep grooves going around the circumference. Makes it look like five narrower tires on each wheel. All have angled sipes in the contact patch area to channel water away from the tires. I feel as prepared as I can be. Lived in Seattle for over 55 years so know a bit about driving on water. Idiots, mostly driving 4WD vehicles, who don't SLOW DOWN, get passed by me as they sit in the ditch. Two other things to watch for are road track depressions usually caused by studded tires and chains. They fill with water and are our enemy. The other is to watch the tire track from the vehicle in front of you. If that vehicle is leaving a good clear trail, that is good. If the track disappears, that is bad because he just hydroplaned. All vehicles and all tires will hydroplane. Ride with your wits about you and slow down and all will be OK.

Now if we could just get some rain here. We haven't had ANY for 3 1/2 months.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi