Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I've seen several RTs with a stop light "bar" tucked into the indentation in the top of the trunk lid.......which looks like it was made just for that space......because it I.

The one you are speaking of is the Custom Dynamics High Mounted Tailight (HMT) for Can Am Spyder RT, here's the link... https://www.customdynamics.com/hmt-l...yder-rt-models
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    This is the one you want if you want the one that fits best. Chrome finish. Fits all RTs.
    No it isn't. That one is HUGE. The ones I have seen are smaller and tuck nicely into the indentation in the top of the trunk lid.
    They do indeed look like original equipment and a part of the lid.

BUT......stand by please.
    I came into this discussion unprepared, and I apologize for that.

I will get some more information and pictures and then we can take it up again.

Spyder Garage

fullsizeoutput_8af.jpg
    Custom Dynamics makes the brake light that looks most stock, however all of the third Brake lights provide added visibility.
    I had mine dealer installed, The first one some of the LED's stopped working after a year, Custom Dynamics stood behind the
    product and shipped me another one. This one is still working after 7+ years

Spyder Garage

Default Me too..

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    What you are describing is exactly what I have. It is also what DGOEBEL suggested in his post to you. It is a Genesis High Mount 36LED brake/running light. Made by Custom Dynamics and sold by several dealers including Value Accessories. Click on DGOEBELs link. Retail is $199.00. If you have something else in mind then It is not clear what that is.....

Chrome case, all red LEDS. Looks great. I painted my chrome black for my bike, easy enough.

Spyder Garage

WP_20180612_001.jpgWP_20180612_003.jpgWP_20180612_004.jpgHere are pictures of mine. It is the one made by Custom Dynamics. The OP says he does not want this one as he thinks it is "HUGE". Says he wants something smaller. Never seen anything smaller so no idea what he has in mind.....?
    Last edited by canamjhb; 06-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Here are pictures of mine. It is the one made by Custom Dynamics.
    The OP is right here. You can talk TO me.

Thank you for the new pictures.
    It does indeed look like what I am wanting.
    For me at least the other pictures just didn't look right.

THANK YOU.

EDIT: Here is what is confusing me. The pictures on their web site and other pictures provided look weird.
    https://www.customdynamics.com/hmt-l...models?cat=168
    Was the top of the trunk lid really THAT different on the older models ??
    Or is it just some kind of optical illusion ??
    Anyhow, mystery solved.

Thanks to all who helped.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 06-12-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

E.R. Didn't mean to exclude you. I was just showing example of what I thought you didn't want so perhaps someone else would have a suggestion. I'm glad everything got sorted out. I agree that some of the pictures look a little distorted. I think the trunk lids are the same. The light's reflection doesn't give a good representation of how good these look and fit. I like the simplicity of it's looks. Those lights that include turn signals are a bit "busy" for me. Instead I opted for full outside edge mirror LED turn signals. I think they are more visible and I can see when I leave the signal flashing.

After looking at the high middle light it is hard to imagine the bike without it. Glad to be of assistance.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 06-12-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

EDIT: Here is what is confusing me. The pictures on their web site and other pictures provided look weird.
    https://www.customdynamics.com/hmt-l...models?cat=168
    Was the top of the trunk lid really THAT different on the older models ??
    Or is it just some kind of optical illusion ??
    Anyhow, mystery solved.

Thanks to all who helped.
    You're welcome. No, the trunk lid hasn't changed. My 2014 is the same as my nephew's 2010. Looking at the Custom Dynamics pics I see they really could have better photos posted. Their photos really don't show it as well as canamjhb's do. Glad you got it all sorted out.

Here's a pic of the LEDs on the 2013 I had. They are Super Bright Flexstrips. Not as big as the CD unit, almost as bright, and don't blend aesthetically like the CD one does. But they were a whole lot less $$.

HMT lights.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Problem solved, at least I think.
    Spyder is at the dealers for:
    Hand brake lever.
    Alignment
    Custom Dynamics high mount brake light......which they had in stock.

Spyder Garage

Some tips from me on installing that nice trunk light.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Some tips from me on installing that nice trunk light. Bob
    Is it too late to fix the spelling? Break vs brake. There might be children watching
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Another vote for Custom Dynamics HMT.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Problem solved, at least I think.
    Spyder is at the dealers for:
    Hand brake lever.
    Alignment
    Custom Dynamics high mount brake light......which they had in stock.

I hope you will be as happy as I am. Let us know. Always good to have positive feedback......
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The only lights in the rear that even come close to an association with the CANbus are the turn signals, as I see it. Those are powered from the cluster. The brake lights and tail lights are powered directly from the 12 volt main power fuse boxes through their respective switches. The brake light has a connection to the ECU to signal the ECU to cancel cruise control. I suppose it's remotely possible that the ECU may see some fluctuation of the voltage in the brake connection and cause it to have a hiccup that interferes with the CANbus, but I don't think so.

I had a high mount brake light on my 2013 RT that I cobbled together with LEDs from Super Bright LEDs. Never had a lick of trouble. I duplicated it for my 2014 RT and worked perfectly. During Spyderfest 2016 Pit Bull shop boys had a bike mix up and cut my homemade unit off so they replaced it gratis with the Custom Dynamics one. Never have had one bit of trouble with it. I think Smoak was smokin' something strong that day!!! Or, he had been dealing with some cheap crappy stuff that did cause a lot of RF noise that impacted part of the CANbus.

Keep in mind CANbus stands for Controller Area Network bus. It is a digital signaling system between the various processors to exchange control signals. In order to interfere with it you have to have a specific strength and frequency of a stray radio signal. Well made electronic units don't emit those.
    Nice job clearing up that questionable piece of information by Smoaks. When I watched that video I rolled my eyes so hard you could probably have heard it. There was some misinformation and confusion there. He was creating some FUD right there (fear, uncertainty, and doubt). He's no doubt a good mechanic, but there's been multiple times in his videos when he starts getting technical about things and goes a bit off the rails.

People shouldn't be scared away from adding quality LED lights to their rigs. I've got an HMT (along with a fair bit of other electrical accessories) and have had no issues. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to add accessories from Custom Dynamics, TricLED, or other reputable makers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Some tips from me on installing that nice trunk light.
    Thanks. I did it even easier than that.
    I let the dealer do it !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Recently watched a Youtube video by SmoaksVlogs where he was on his way into the shop (where he works, I guess), and went on a little rant about these lights and how much trouble they cause. He said to NEVER put one on a Spyder. I tried to find the video again so I could link it here, but no luck. I had one on my 2010 RT and liked it a lot, but am reluctant to put one on my new 2018 RT Limited. Yet, there seems to be a lot of people using them without a problem. Should I ignore Smoak, or does he have a point. He claimed it screwed up the Can-Bus.
    My local dealer put one on a new 2018 RT that they have for sale. It is Show Chrome, running and brake only. I don't believe they would add an accessory that would affect the operation.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White