Spyder Garage

Default Rear shock help please

Hi, I’m having an issue with when I add my wife to the back it feels like Ita putt8ng too much pressure on the rear shock due to weight. Is there anything aftermarket that can handle some more weight without sacrific8ng safety? Doing the swaybar and links to th was from but won’t help the back at all. thank you!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Demndawg View Post
    Hi, I’m having an issue with when I add my wife to the back it feels like Ita putt8ng too much pressure on the rear shock due to weight. Is there anything aftermarket that can handle some more weight without sacrific8ng safety? Doing the swaybar and links to th was from but won’t help the back at all. thank you!
    A little more info would be helpful. What bike? How long have you been riding it? How much weight are you talking about? What is the feeling you're experiencing?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

What year is yours? If it has the 2 spring set up on the back the top spring can be replaced with a heavier one. Look at this post and maybe it will help out. I have replaced about 4 springs on different spyders. The stock spring is rated around 450 lbs per inch and the one I installed is rated at 900 lbs per inch. Like I said it has to be the 2 spring set up. I'm sure the single can be changed out, but I haven't fooled with any of them. Look at the post and read.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=rear+shock
    David

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 rss and I’m pretty sure it’s single spring. Adding the wife on the back we are just over 400 combined. I have to take turns extra slow and I have to start breaking way earlier, can’t just rely on downshifting with her on the back. When she gets off and I see the spring go back up I just cringe. We are working on her weight but I want her to be able to ride in the meantime. Telling her she’s too big for the bike would break my heart and probably discourage her.

ive tried uploading an image but it keeps say8ng invalid. It is only one spring though.
    Last edited by Demndawg; 06-12-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RSS rear suspension

I have a 2010 rss and I’m pretty sure it’s single spring. Adding the wife on the back we are just over 400 combined. I have to take turns extra slow and I have to start breaking way earlier, can’t just rely on downshifting with her on the back. When she gets off and I see the spring go back up I just cringe. We are working on her weight but I want her to be able to ride in the meantime. Telling her she’s too big for the bike would break my heart and probably discourage her.
    I understand.

Did Warlock's post help any? Let's try to keep this thread alive awhile longer. There are folks on here with RSS real-world experience who can address this issue for you.

400# sounds well within the bike's capability, but I don't know.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at these. Pricey, I know. https://us.elkasuspension.com/produc...-2008-to-2012/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Per the spec sheet, your bike is supposed to have an adjustable rear shock. Have you tried adjusting it for greater weight carrying capacity?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Per the spec sheet, your bike is supposed to have an adjustable rear shock. Have you tried adjusting it for greater weight carrying capacity?
    Honestly I had no idea it was adjustable. I’ve only had it a little over a month and I’ve been in the hospital 3 weeks of it. I’m using my down time to get my mods lined up. Swaybar and links going up front but need to do someth8ng with the back also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Honestly I had no idea it was adjustable. I’ve only had it a little over a month and I’ve been in the hospital 3 weeks of it. I’m using my down time to get my mods lined up. Swaybar and links going up front but need to do someth8ng with the back also.
    Later models are air-adjustable but I think yours is the kind where you use a wrench to turn a collar on the springs to pre-load it for greater weight. That has been standard on motorcycles for decades now.

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/can-...rs/detail.html
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-12-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

ive tried uploading an image but it keeps say8ng invalid. It is only one spring though.
    Here is a picture of a 2 spring set up. You will notice there is a black piece between the 2 springs. If yours has this set up a top spring can be changed out. However even if you have a single spring it still has a adjustment on it. I think a 3/8 square head racket fits it. Be sure to spring the piece real good with lubrication before adjusting it. Just so we are on the same page it will only have the 1 shock in back and it will either have a 1 spring set up on it or 2 spring set up on the shock
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-08-Can...MAAOSwUCZaybPM
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 06-12-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Here is a picture of a 2 spring set up. You will notice there is a black piece between the 2 springs. If yours has this set up a top spring can be changed out. However even if you have a single spring it still has a adjustment on it. I think a 3/8 square head racket fits it. Be sure to spring the piece real good with lubrication before adjusting it. Just so we are on the same page it will only have the 1 shock in back and it will either have a 1 spring set up on it or 2 spring set up on the shock
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-08-Can...MAAOSwUCZaybPM
    David
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thanks for the picture. Maybe he can see if his is like this or not. They put some on the early editions and then switched them over.
    David

Spyder Garage

Got your e mail and confirmed that it has the 2 spring shock on it. I sent you a e mail back with info on what needs doing. If you need help let me know.
    David