Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacing DESS Modular & Relocating it

I was getting DESS Key once in a while on my 2015 Spyder RT. I was getting concerned that I could get stranded out on the road. I had purchased this Spyder used and had no warranty so I purchased a DESS Modular from Cheap Motorcycle Parts and switched it out myself. I also remounted it as BLUENIGHT911 did so I would not have to remove the front storage compartment if it ever failed again. I made a video showing where the modular is located and where I relocated it. I posted it on You Tube. It is not the best video but it will help anyone that wants to do it their self.

Removing the front storage compartment is not that big of job. The first time it takes sometime but if I was doing it again it would be pretty simple. There are really only 6 bolts that attach it to the front of the Spyder. I would have videoed removing it but being my first time it would have been a pretty long video.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good job: well done!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done

Thanks for the video should be helpful for those still having issues with the DESS unit. Hopefully you never have to deal with it again but now if you do it is at a very easily accessed location...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS module - moving it

Thank you for posting this for all the other members here ..... I know you didn't show the Frunk removal, but that's on other video's ..... I have removed my Frunk dozen's of times and learned a short cut .... on the upper four attachment Bolts the two in the center are very hard to remove and re-place ....well you only need to do the two outside bolts ( plus the side and bottom bolts ) - WHY , because their only purpose is to assist in positioning the Frunk to the rest of the body.... what actually keeps the Frunk on is the TWO large hangers / hooks on the front upper frame. After you remove the Frunk you will see them..... They carry 99% of the Frunk weight. I have moved my RT without any bolts in place ( to roll it around the garage ) ..... just the hangers .......... I did my DESS move back in 2015 after it failed. It really only takes 5 min. to replace the module itself ....The dealer charges about 1.5 hrs labor to remove the frunk and replace it . Once the module is moved it takes about 5 minutes. I have had NO problems since the move - so obviously it can be moved without causing any issues ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-08-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thank you for posting this for all the other members here ..... I know you didn't show the Frunk removal, but that's on other video's ..... I have removed my Frunk dozen's of times and learned a short cut .... on the upper four attachment Bolts the two in the center are very hard to remove and re-place ....well you only need to do the two outside bolts ( plus the side and bottom bolts ) - WHY , because their only purpose is to assist in positioning the Frunk to the rest of the body.... what actually keeps the Frunk on is the TWO large hangers / hooks on the front upper frame. After you remove the Frunk you will see them..... They carry 99% of the Frunk weight. I have moved my RT without any bolts in place ( to roll it around the garage ) ..... just the hangers .......... I did my DESS move back in 2015 after it failed. It really only takes 5 min. to replace the module itself ....The dealer charges about 1.5 hrs labor to remove the frunk and replace it . Once the module is moved it takes about 5 minutes. I have had NO issues since the move - so obviously it can be moved without causing any issues ....... Mike
    Yes, the first time you remove the Frunk it would be much is easier the next time after seeing how it hooks on. I was going to do like you suggested and leave my old modular where it was and run the the wires up so if it failed then hook the new one in. There were not enough wire on the old modular to reach to the plug when it was above the Frunk. Everything works great, I can not see it ever causing an problem where we have them mounted. I notice when I mounted the modular and tied the bolts it did go up against the plastic under the right light. I don't think it would hurt anything other than there might be some vibration against the modular. I just used a little longer bolts and shimmed it down about 1/4 inch then it never touched anything. I notch the plastic where the wires came up under the plastic of the Frunk so they were not pinched.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MOVING THE DESS MODULE

..... It's pretty amazing how fast this Thread dis-appeared from the " What's new board " ....did the administrator think it was - OFFENSIVE ...????? this Thread more relevant than 90% of what's currently active !!!!...............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

..... It's pretty amazing how fast this Thread dis-appeared from the " What's new board " ....did the administrator think it was - OFFENSIVE ...????? this Thread more relevant than 90% of what's currently active !!!!...............Mike
    i HAVE THE FEELING THAT SOME DON'T LIKE PEOPLE WORKING ON THEIR OWN SPYDER'S. I HAVE ALWAYS DID ALL MY OWN WORK AND SERVICE ON ALL MY MOTORCYCLES. i STARTED OUT AS A MECHANIC, THEN WELDER, MACHINIST, TOOL & DIE MAKER AND LAST FIFTEEN YEARS IN SALES. i DON'T LIKE ANYONE WORKING ON ANYTHING I HAVE AND SURE DON'T WANT TO LEAVE IT WITH SOME DEALER.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Re working on your own bike

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    i HAVE THE FEELING THAT SOME DON'T LIKE PEOPLE WORKING ON THEIR OWN SPYDER'S. I HAVE ALWAYS DID ALL MY OWN WORK AND SERVICE ON ALL MY MOTORCYCLES. i STARTED OUT AS A MECHANIC, THEN WELDER, MACHINIST, TOOL & DIE MAKER AND LAST FIFTEEN YEARS IN SALES. i DON'T LIKE ANYONE WORKING ON ANYTHING I HAVE AND SURE DON'T WANT TO LEAVE IT WITH SOME DEALER.
    I believe your 100% right😁

Spyder Garage

Default You don't know what you are talking about

Just came across this Mike. You are so far out in left field it's not funny. Not only did you increase the font size and make it bold to get attention. Then you had two members agree more or less to your post.

First off Lamont had nothing to do with you seeing it dis-appear from the Whats New Board. You were the indirect cause as well as member no longer posting a reply to the original thread. Here is a computer skills lesson on how "Whats New?" works.

1. You Log off the Forum say at noon

2. You log on to the Forum around 7pm

3. You click on Whats New and the Forum program will now do a search from when you last logged off and when you logged in. It will tag all thread that had a reply to them from when you logged off at noon to current time.

4. Once the search is complete the results are displayed for you to read.

You own Lamont an apology.