Spyder Garage

Default Deer vs SPyder RT Limited

Going to work yesterday I hit a deer at 50 mph. This is my first Spyder, and have heard how this isn't a real motorcycle. Well I have owned all major brands, but none of them would have kept me off the ground like my Spyder. I ended up with some muscle strain on the right side of my back and that is it. Had I been on my Gold Wing I would have gone to ground and gotten a ride to the hospital. I kept it between the ditches and drove it home.
    To clarify I have been riding motorcycles for 47 plus years and currently ride every day. I always am cautious looking for deer and other critters. I never saw the deer until I hit it. Brakes were used after I hit the deer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEER

​WOW !!!! ....You were one lucky Dude ..... and all things considered the Spyder did quite well

Spyder Garage

A buddy of mine hit three and killed 2 of them and rode 50 miles home. Glad to hear you're OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Hit a big dog at 55 plus on the 2014, it flew up and over the windshield after getting hit by the front end. I was able to drive the spyder home. It did about $2,200 damage. They did a good repair job. Never had any issues after the repair.

The dog died. It came out of the ditch unexpected. An oncoming truck prevented me from playing dodgeball. It all happened very fast. The truckdriver did not stop. Neither did anyone else. I had to pull the dog out of the middle of the road and to the side so it would not get hit again or cause another accident.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Had similar damage last summer when I hit a dog. I also would have been down if I had been on a 2wheeler. I have been riding 50+ years. I was on a trip to Boulder Co. Went back home took the fender off and continued on the trip. Glad you are ok.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Blue17 View Post
    Going to work yesterday I hit a deer at 50 mph. This is my first Spyder, and have heard how this isn't a real motorcycle. Well I have owned all major brands, but none of them would have kept me off the ground like my Spyder. I ended up with some muscle strain on the right side of my back and that is it. Had I been on my Gold Wing I would have gone to ground and gotten a ride to the hospital. I kept it between the ditches and drove it home.
    To clarify I have been riding motorcycles for 47 plus years and currently ride every day. I always am cautious looking for deer and other critters. I never saw the deer until I hit it. Brakes were used after I hit the deer.
    Glad you are OK! The Spyder made out well too!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Now that we know

Now that we know you are ok. One important question must be answer any meat for the grill?

Spyder Garage

Default Deer vs SPyder RT Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Now that we know you are ok. One important question must be answer any meat for the grill?
    No the last time I saw the deer it was heading in a vertical direction.

Spyder Garage

Just learned this evening, a member of our riding club, NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders), just hit his 2nd deer in a year. He was OK but the Spyder had over $4,500 damage.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Oh deer

Dang glad you’re doing .ok. I have had a lot of close calls but no strikes. I just sold my wing and switched to a F3. I am glad I made the switch.
    2016 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Anytime you can walk away from an accident it was a good accident, no matter how bad. This was mine on 10-19-2017.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...56#post1312556
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you made out ok. Dale

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Luckily, the only thing I've hit is two birds.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Good thing you ride in White Tail Country. Out here we have Mule Deer which can be the size of a cow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dude...

Glad to hear that you and your Spyder are gonna be okay!

Just don't scare us all like this again!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

More likely a ride to the morgue if on the Goldwing

This data reflects nationwide trends with 2-wheelers. Go buy a lottery ticket!!

"The Wisconsin DOT site devoted to the deer problem says that while only 2% of car-deer collisions were fatal to humans, 84.9% of the motorcycle-deer crashes involved human fatalities. (This percentage has increased in recent years.)"
    Last edited by Docster; 06-08-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Deer vs SPyder RT Limited - UPDATE

Well it has been seven weeks yesterday that I hit the deer.
    I picked up the bike this morning all fixed and ready to ride.
    Road some today and glad to have it back.
    I was also able to ride my Spyder to an MRI appointment.
    A few weeks after the accident I went to pick up a bottle of wine for my Mother-In-Law.
    My right shoulder just wouldn't work.
    I have seen an orthopedic surgeon that is why the MRI today.
    Looks like a torn rotator cuff from hitting the deer.

Still feel blessed to have been on my Spyder and not my Gold Wing.

Rod