Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default aftermarket parts for rs-s

I'm looking to get another Spyder after 5 years since I got rid of my "its in the shop" GS but it looks like most manufacturers stop making parts for it, like shocks, mufflers and etc.
    elka website only shows stage 5 front for RS but its out of my price range and Yoshimura seems to have stop making muffler after 2012 models.

1. anyone had experience with fox shock with anti-sway bar package from BRP?https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/shop/a...-sway-bar.html it seems like a good deal if shocks and sway bar are somewhat like ones from other manufacturers(I don't expect $400 shocks would be as good as $1600 ones. and do they make one for rear? I don't know how having two different shock on front and rear would affect the Spyder.

2. what are the proven aftermarket HID?

3. did mid pipe for exhaust change from 2012 models to 2013 and later? I like Yoshimura but their fitting chart stops at 2012.

thank you in advance.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you’re looking at getting another RS you may have trouble finding many aftermarket items since the model is out of production. Have you thought about getting an F3?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If you’re looking at getting another RS you may have trouble finding many aftermarket items since the model is out of production. Have you thought about getting an F3?
    Yes I thought about it but the way f3 looks just doesn’t do it for me. I don’t like the square boxy looking front, side of frunk looks like panels are missing, pipe handlebar, sitting position and etc. I know a lot of people like what I just mentioned but I guess it’s just personal preference thing. may be after I ryde another RS to ground and if something more like RS is still not available.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I'm looking to get another Spyder after 5 years since I got rid of my "its in the shop" GS but it looks like most manufacturers stop making parts for it, like shocks, mufflers and etc.
    elka website only shows stage 5 front for RS but its out of my price range and Yoshimura seems to have stop making muffler after 2012 models.

1. anyone had experience with fox shock with anti-sway bar package from BRP?https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/shop/a...-sway-bar.html it seems like a good deal if shocks and sway bar are somewhat like ones from other manufacturers(I don't expect $400 shocks would be as good as $1600 ones. and do they make one for rear? I don't know how having two different shock on front and rear would affect the Spyder.

3. did mid pipe for exhaust change from 2012 models to 2013 and later? I like Yoshimura but their fitting chart stops at 2012.

thank you in advance.
    What a shame. The RS was, and is, a great ride. Seal Floorboards will never stop making great Floorboards for all RS's. We were the 1st. and still the best.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

thank you in advance.
    My wife liked my 2016 RTS so much she took the class and got her license. For Valentines day this year I bought a 2008 GS, a bit of fixer upper. It had been hit in the rear or backed into wall. I had no problems finding parts on EBay. There are a lot of motorcycle graveyards parting out wrecked / dead Spyders. Sensors like the gearbox position, throttle, etc. that commonly fail are still readily available. If you are looking to get an older 998cc GS/RS I wouldn't have any hesitations about parts. Cheapcycleparts.com carries a huge inventory still. I actually think the market is in a sweet spot! For example I got BRP's black rims for the GS ($450 MSRP) for $150 shipped! Grabbed a used HMF muffler ($450 new) for $150 and it has a great throaty roar now. Set of brake pads really cheap for good ones (LaMonster). BRP OEM new cover for the rear half of the seat for $50. There are a lot of brand new BRP OEM parts for the 998 GS/RS going for CHEAP now as dealers are unloading!

For the faded black plastic I pulled it all off and painted it with "Trim Paint", it all looks brand new now. Sanded off scratches and gouges and rattle-canned body panels with the same trim paint (it just went on so smooth) and topped it a clear coat. Looks great. Got a whole set of body panels for around $400, good shape, to give to a friend to customize while I ryde with my rattle-can paint job.

I watched Facebook market and saw several 2008 to 2010 models ranging from $5500 to about $7000. Most had handlebar risers, heated grips, some aftermarket stuff already. When test driving open it up a bit and brake hard. I didn't do this and found I was getting stuck in gear and had to pull the key for a minute to clear it and get it back to neutral. Turns out it was the gearbox sensor. Took about 3 hours (mostly grunting getting on the ground and up!). But all went OK. I didn't think to research recalls and technical bulletins before hand to look to see if they were done when looking at the bikes. Like a new gas tank cap, an "X" on the front sprocket bolt indicating it was torqued to the new spec of 115ft/lbs, etc. My front sprocket bolt was barely finger tight! Only found this pulling it off to change the gearbox sensor that hides behind it.

I'd go for it, especially since you can find really good RS/GS's for around $5 - $6K with addons. I just saw a 2008 GS at a local shop here in VA with a full custom Dragon & Spider themed paint job for $6500. Keep an eye on EBay while you are shopping for used mufflers (mine was a returned item with a scratch - big deal!), OEM rims, etc. They do pop up.

I posted pics here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ntines-Present

Steve

karens.jpg
    Last edited by stevencovert; 06-08-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’m looking at 14 RS and 16 rss, both with like 1500 miles at local dealer and was worried about aftermarket goodys, not necessarily repair parts. things like will I be able squeeze on a Yoshimura muffler that’s listed for 2012 or will I be able find decent aftermarket shocks at good price.
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-08-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

The 12 pipe is different
    get the correct year
    I like the look of the yoshi pipes but ended up with a two brothers
    still like the look of the shorter yoshi pipe better

Spyder Garage

The 2012's and earlier had the cat and exhaust as one unit (so if you replaced the exhaust you got rid of the cat as well)

2013 onwards the cat was separate and mounted under the engine. the exhaust/cat design was shared between the RS and ST (and possibly the 2013 RT's, the last of the V-twin RTs?) So its possible 2013 onwards stuff will be listed under ST rather than RS.

One (untried) option may be to get a second-hand pre-2013 exhaust pipes and fit those. That would get rid of the cat and allow you to fit a Yoshimura. May need a bit of fettling but I don't think there were any frame changes in that area that would cause issues routing them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’ve seen a vendor selling cat-bypass pipe. Is that what I would need or still would not work with muffler made for 2012?

I just took a look at hmf muffler for 13-15 and I see that muffler made for 2012 is not going to work but both hmf and two bros only have RS listed up to 2015. Did pipe change again? Or did they stop producing things for 2016 model after it was discontinued?
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-09-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A 2015 RS with 700 miles for same price as 14 just popped in dealer’s used Spyder list, a winnner!!!
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-09-2018 at 06:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It’s official. Hopefully this won’t be in the shop for 30% of ownership.
    9CA75657-3935-45EA-B963-1A4C15F8C1F0.jpg

Spyder Garage

It’s official. Hopefully this won’t be in the shop for 30% of ownership.
    It's an RS so no worries.