Spyder Garage

Default oil consumption..............

Is my 2011RS-S the only good RS in the world? One sees so many posts about needing to add oil every 500 miles. My question is this: Are so many of us just anal or do the majority of 998s actually use oil? I just returned from a 1200 mile excursion during which time I did not check oil even once. When I checked it after arriving home, the oil level is still halfway between the add and the full mark on the stick. I added some to fill it since I'll be leaving on Sunday for another 1500 mile excursion. And I doubt that I'll be even a bit concerned about oil levels until I get back.

Soooo, let the harassment about not caring for my machine properly begin...………….

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL

People who own V-twins aren't Anal about checking the level .... It's just pretty much a known issue with 90% of the V-twin engines, they tend to use Oil. I'm sure what oil you use may be a factor, I don't think that possibility has been researched yet ...... All engines ( of a type ) aren't exactly the same ....just like some tires lose air more than others due to many factors ......Anyone who starts a fight with you about this ...is just ******************* ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-07-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

The higher and more you rev the 998. The more oil you will use. It varies. Also, if you're still running the stock crankcase vent system. That will add to your oil loss as well (which also varies).

I use between 1/2 and 1 quart in 5,000 - 6,000 miles.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

There is no "right" answer. We are talking a full riding season with our 998. I have never added oil. The dealer can refill it when I bring in for the oil change and filter service in the Spring. Never had the low oil pressure light come on as a warning.

If we did a lot of "long" trips--I would check mine more often.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The higher and more you rev the 998. The more oil you will use. It varies. Also, if you're still running the stock crankcase vent system. That will add to your oil loss as well (which also varies).

I use between 1/2 and 1 quart in 5,000 - 6,000 miles.
    Riding with a group with (3) 1200 GSs and an Aprilia dual sport required me to push the Spyder a bit. Shifting points usually in excess of 6-7000 rpm; speeds on hard surface roads usually in excess of 70; Twisties every day with the gearbox in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Rode hard and put up wet, as they say. oh yeah, a side bonus.... fuel mileage in excess of 36mpg. Seems like the harder you run it, the better it likes it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Riding with a group with (3) 1200 GSs and an Aprilia dual sport required me to push the Spyder a bit. Shifting points usually in excess of 6-7000 rpm; speeds on hard surface roads usually in excess of 70; Twisties every day with the gearbox in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Rode hard and put up wet, as they say. oh yeah, a side bonus.... fuel mileage in excess of 36mpg. Seems like the harder you run it, the better it likes it.
    Just about all the oil 998 uses is thru the crankcase vent. Tried a lot of different things, oil catch, but in the end I just put a hose on the vent and routed it out the bottom. I run pretty hard and it gets real hot here. Was 96 degrees today. I usually add from 1/2 to 1 qt between oil changes. I change mine every 5000 miles.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Ah ha....

All the the stars and planets have lined up for you... with all the variants we are all different. At the right temp and altitude I have gotten 40 miles to the gallon flip those and have gotten as low as 25 mpg. The oil consumption is similar and I am mostly between 5 and 8,000 rpm most of the time solo or double. Some time I have no level change other times it needs topping off. I do carry a quart with me at all times.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I only had my 2012 RSS for 6 months, but I also never experienced any oil loss or burning. Never needed to add anything. As for gas milage, I tended to average around 32-36 mpg.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    People who own V-twins aren't Anal about checking the level .... It's just pretty much a known issue with 90% of the V-twin engines, they tend to use Oil. I'm sure what oil you use may be a factor, I don't think that possibility has been researched yet ...... All engines ( of a type ) aren't exactly the same ....just like some tires lose air more than others due to many factors ......Anyone who starts a fight with you about this ...is just ******************* ...... Mike
    FWIW, I use ProHONDA GN4 oil and try to change oil and filters at 5000 mile intervals.

Spyder Garage

Re, oil consumption I have done around 3.5 K and never checked. I first need to find where to look for oil marker. Re fuel I get reserve light at 130 miles and assume there is max 30 miles after reserve light is on. I have never been able to fill more than 17 Liters fuel and understand that fuel tank is 24 Ltrs. Any thought?

Thanks
    Akrapovic, RSS 2014, Philips LED, Upgraded Sway bar, more coming.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by birubhai View Post
    Re, oil consumption I have done around 3.5 K and never checked. I first need to find where to look for oil marker. Re fuel I get reserve light at 130 miles and assume there is max 30 miles after reserve light is on. I have never been able to fill more than 17 Liters fuel and understand that fuel tank is 24 Ltrs. Any thought?

Thanks
    Read your owners manual,it will tell you where to do that. If you didn't get one to the owners area on the Spyder web site and there will be a copy there

My V Twin will use about half a quart between oil changes (4500 more or less). I use mostly T6 Rotella sometimes Valvolene T4

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze