Spyder Garage

Default DREADED P1614.. FAULT.

After riding around Fundy National park in New Brunswick, Canada, Sue and i stopped at a restaurant to have a bite to eat. After lunch turned Spyder on and went to start Spyder. After it started in was running on one cylinder and I could smell gas. Check engine light was on. Pulled code and it was P1614. Shut off Spyder. Turned it back on and I started it again, same thing. Shut down and tryed again to start. This time it started with no faults. Made it back to hotel and did some research. I had my laptop with me, so I had the manual to research. Searched here on Spyder, lovers and found a wealth of info. Later that evening Sue and I wanted to check out this Italian restaurant. By the way it was only 49 degrees out. Spyder did the same thing twice and then started ok. We ate supper and had a great meal. Spyder started up with no problems.
    Packed up our gear this morning and was heading for home. (650 miles). It was 48 degrees this morning. It took three tries this morning to get it started with no problem. For the rest of the day it started ok. Probably 10 times. Before we got home I stopped by an auto parts store. Picked up a can of sea foam and a can of throttle body cleaner.
    Arrived home and got all un packed and went out to the garage to tackle the P1614 error code. Pulled the top of the air breather cover off. Reached in and felt the butterfly valves. WOW, where they ever tackey, gummy and dirty. Removed the main relay,(2011 RTS). This stops the 40 minute timer (high pitched tone). Sprayed a clean day with cleaner and wiped down the 2 valves. Direct sprayed the pivot points. Wiped down again. Put relay back in and started bike up. Ran great. Stuck my fingers on the valves and monitored the action of the valves. They seemed in sync. Checked my MAP sensor lines. They are in great shape ( no cracks). Put bike all back together. Started up and ran great. Hopefully it will start on tomorrow morning.
    If you have a v-twin i would be checking these on your next service. Again I could not believe how sticky mine where. Bruce
    Last edited by safecracker; 06-06-2018 at 09:09 PM.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Took a little ride this morning and Spyder ran flawless. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SOME THOUGHTS

You have the V-twin, are the plug wires original ??? ...... vacuum hoses ??? ...... have you removed the breather tube from the bottom of the Air cleaner box, sealed the intake hole , and then added a fuel filter to the Un-plugged tube from the engine .......... and Yes throttle bodies due need cleaning periodically especially if engine fumes (?) are routed into the Air Box ......good luck .... Mike .............PS, glad you made it home safe

Spyder Garage

Default P1614 fault

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Took a little ride this morning and Spyder ran flawless. Bruce
    Your mileage please
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Mike all fuel related equipment is stock. Checked vacuum hoses, they are in good shape. Air box did have some oil in the bottom. Throttle body was replaced in 2013. I now have 59,000 miles. Ran great today. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Default How nice...

I wouldsay you self mediated your spyder. Good reminder that the throttle body needs attention...I have the JT cleaner and it is a snap to clean the throttle body...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default issues

Mike all fuel related equipment is stock. Checked vacuum hoses, they are in good shape. Air box did have some oil in the bottom. Throttle body was replaced in 2013. I now have 59,000 miles. Ran great today. Bruce
    If your vacuum hoses are Stock & original I would be very surprised they aren't suspect .... Strictly going by age isn't valid .... It has to combined with the mileage your engine has , the engine produces HEAT cycles ....this has a HUGH effect on wear factor...... I would have no problem using OEM vacuum hoses that were 10 years old ...IF they had been on a Dealer's shelf, in a climate controlled room, not in contact with the weather ............. But if you think they are still good, you have to deal with it .... not me .............Glad you had a great vacation ..... Mike ......PS if you think OIL in the air box is OK, well you must also think it isn't migrating to the Throttle bodies ...... Nowhere in the owner's manual does it recommend mixing oil and gas together and then putting it your gas tank like they do with 2-stroke engines - which are designed for it .......

Spyder Garage

Mike, thank you for your in put. Oil in air box is not good. I had not had the air box off in over 2 years. I cleaned it up and I no longer keep the oil level up to the max on the dip stick. I took the vacuum hoses off and I stretched and twisted them. They are in good shape. After cleaning throttle bodies, it is running great. Bruce.
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Default VACUUM LINES

Mike, thank you for your in put. Oil in air box is not good. I had not had the air box off in over 2 years. I cleaned it up and I no longer keep the oil level up to the max on the dip stick. I took the vacuum hoses off and I stretched and twisted them. They are in good shape. After cleaning throttle bodies, it is running great. Bruce.
    Bruce we know each other , we have broken bread together many times ....As far as those hoses go I have History on my side .... The OEM hoses have a finite life span and I'm sure yours are at the end or close to it ...... If NEW silicone hoses cost $100.00 it would be one thing ....but $3.00 ........ and it's not like a Dealer is going to rip you off with a $150.00 service charge ......you are checking these yourself ..... But Friends or not I'm not going to NAG , I'm not the one facing ...SPYDER NOT RUNNING Issues ......................Peace , Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike, you are right. I will be getting new silicone hose this week. I have been wanting to but keep forgetting. Thanks again. Bruce.
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Default like vmike said !

Mike, you are right. I will be getting new silicone hose this week. I have been wanting to but keep forgetting. Thanks again. Bruce.
    hey guy , if it is a help I will change those hose`s for you at 100.oo ( a savings of 50 dollars from the dealer price hahhahaa ) just kidding ya , it is pretty easy to change out actually shania twain.jpg ( my mechanic ) hahahhaa sorry had to do it IMG_20171111_135824.jpg