Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: June 6th, 1944

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Here is my initial post on the subject: "How would you separate the right "D-Day" to commemorate out of the several dozen that took place during a long ago war? How did the soldiers, sailors and airmen differ from the landings at Normandy from those who were sacrificed at Tarawa, or Dieppe? We just celebrated Memorial Day a few days ago. That date is to honor all those who died in the effort to remain free. Why do you feel we need to celebrate every significant event and fail to celebrate others?"

The original post by Denman suggested that it was some sort of oversight or tragedy that a significant observance of the Normandy Invasion didn't happen in his neighborhood (although it did in others). My post, which was not addressed to anyone in particular, was to illustrate that Normandy, while the "popular" invasion of WWII was not nearly the only one and not nearly the most tragic in terms of those killed or wounded in action. I also attempted to clear up the misinformation about the Blitz (which ended in October 1940 and ended any possibility of a German invasion) and another poster's opinion that the Normandy Invasion (June 1944) was responsible. These are facts, not opinions, and there is a gigantic number of written works that cover this period of time. I have read most of them and it is obvious not everyone else has so I was just trying to correct a wrong impression.

70-odd years after the fact it is not appropriate to single out one military operation, however large and successful, from all the other dozens which took place from 1939-1945. We have Memorial Day to recognize those sacrifices and if the media choose to use that day to publish their observances then that is the proper method and should not deserve any criticism. After all, if you want to honor the men and women of that day, or in any battle, there is no limit on how you can do so.
    John, why does it matter? Seriously.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Now, it's your words: certainly not mine...
    My error. Should have said 'ofdave' not 'Denman'. Apologies.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    John, why does it matter? Seriously.
    All I ask was a question. I never got any answers as to why a poster considers the Normandy Invasion THE single event that turned the tide of WWII in the European theater but I did get a bunch of hate mail and incorrect opinions. I figured the subject was important enough to clear the air and so I responded to the errors. Seems to me if someone is serious enough about their history they could at least do some research before responding with the big guns. I offered my facts and the reasons behind them but instead of a serious rebuttal I got a personal attack. What I presented are not my personal opinions but rather the efforts of hundreds of professional historians over the past seven decades.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All I ask was a question. I never got any answers as to why a poster considers the Normandy Invasion THE single event that turned the tide of WWII in the European theater but I did get a bunch of hate mail and incorrect opinions. I figured the subject was important enough to clear the air and so I responded to the errors. .

Now, it's your words: certainly not mine...

One more time...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All I ask was a question. I never got any answers as to why a poster considers the Normandy Invasion THE single event that turned the tide of WWII in the European theater but I did get a bunch of hate mail and incorrect opinions. I figured the subject was important enough to clear the air and so I responded to the errors. Seems to me if someone is serious enough about their history they could at least do some research before responding with the big guns. I offered my facts and the reasons behind them but instead of a serious rebuttal I got a personal attack. What I presented are not my personal opinions but rather the efforts of hundreds of professional historians over the past seven decades.
    Yeah, but in the end, what does it matter if you're right or they are right. The purpose of the thread was to recognize June 6 as D-Day.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you...

Should we set aside three days in October for Leyte?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you...

Should we set aside three days in October for Leyte?
    Sounds good. We'll leave you in charge of that. You did such a great job with D-Day memorial.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-12-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Yeah, but in the end, what does it matter if you're right or they are right. The purpose of the thread was to recognize June 6 as D-Day.
    I took the OP to be complaining that "D-day" was not being recognized by our media. My answer was that there were many (several dozen) "D-day's" throughout the war as it was the common military designation for "go" day. June 6, 1944 was only one of them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

74 years ago today...

That's odd: I don't see a complain in here about lack of coverage...

Or were those YOUR words again; and not mine?

I did mention not seeing much coverage about it: it was in response to another person mentioning this fact...