Spyder Garage

Default Upshifts with turn signal switch

Recently, I have noticed that my 2015 RT SE6 was upshifting occasionally when I wasn't expecting it. I thought I had maybe been bumping the shift lever. So, over the past couple of days I have been paying very close attention to make sure I am not bumping the shift lever with my thumb causing the unexpected upshift.

What I have found is that my Spyder is upshifting when I go to use the turn signal cancel function. Sometimes I can run through all the gears using the turn signal switch. Sometimes it is only a couple of gears that I can upshift. What I did notice is that if I manually downshift, I usually cannot upshift with the turn signal switch. Once I stop and start again, I can get the turn signal switch to upshift the transmission...sometimes all the gears, sometimes one or two gears.

Crazy...curious if anyone else has run into this problem before the dealer tells me that they were unable to get my bike to act up. I searched the forum and could not come up with anything. The only electrical accessory I have is the BRP hitch kit module and I have not hooked up a trailer to it yet. Only tested its function with a test light.

Gunner

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. I hope it's still under warranty or you have a B.E.S.T. extended warranty as that left switch module is $385.
    Last edited by JayBros; 06-04-2018 at 08:52 AM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    Recently, I have noticed that my 2015 RT SE6 was upshifting occasionally when I wasn't expecting it. I thought I had maybe been bumping the shift lever. So, over the past couple of days I have been paying very close attention to make sure I am not bumping the shift lever with my thumb causing the unexpected upshift.

What I have found is that my Spyder is upshifting when I go to use the turn signal cancel function. Sometimes I can run through all the gears using the turn signal switch. Sometimes it is only a couple of gears that I can upshift. What I did notice is that if I manually downshift, I usually cannot upshift with the turn signal switch. Once I stop and start again, I can get the turn signal switch to upshift the transmission...sometimes all the gears, sometimes one or two gears.

Crazy...curious if anyone else has run into this problem before the dealer tells me that they were unable to get my bike to act up. I searched the forum and could not come up with anything. The only electrical accessory I have is the BRP hitch kit module and I have not hooked up a trailer to it yet. Only tested its function with a test light.

Gunner
    MYSTERIOUS UPSHIFTS - The SE trans cannot do this ..... I really think you are (somehow) accidently hitting the + paddle .... It doesn't take very much of a touch to up-shift .... at least mine doesn't ....... Try driving with only your RIGHT hand in 4th or 5th gear ..... and see if it happens .... I drive with only one hand Frequently ....... Just not at slow parking lot speeds ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2023 at 12:51 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Gunner
    Odd indeed maybe instructing dealer tech a procedure to reproduce,
    If you have cruse control, set it & then try the blinkers. If it is shifting not just blinker it will kick off cruise.
    Ez 1 the tech. To follow & they very well could have. Are you putting excessive pressure on switch maybe pushing on other components internally, the manual downshift interruption of glitch sounds like something may be out of place. Good luck please let us know what is found

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I seem to remember this or something similar coming up before. I can't find the previous thread about this. Maybe someone else can. If I remember correctly, I may not, you need a new left handlebar multifunction control.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

there are a mess of wires in that command control. I would suspect the turn signal mechanism is shorting the paddle switch or wiring causing the shift. Have fixed many on bikes along with the others, horn button, starter buttons, kill buttons etc. This was back when they fixed things... now just replace the whole thing..$$$
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Gunner
    I think you've got some sort of weird gremlins running around in the left multi-function switch. It's single printed circuit board, I believe, with all the switches activating PC board contacts. There may be some sort of electrical signal leakage going on on there. All the signals from that switch go to the various components via the CANbus. One possibility is that moisture has gotten inside and is short circuiting between the turn signal traces and shift control traces. Try taking it apart and cleaning and drying it out. Of course, your bike is new enough it's still under warranty, right? Let the dealer take care of it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Back from the dealer

And the verdict is: replacement of left multi function switch. All strange shifting issues resolved! According to my dealer, when those switches go south, they usually do bizarre things with the turn signals. This is the first time they were able to upshift a Spyder with the turn signal cancel function.

All is well again. And I just used well over half of what I paid for the BEST warranty on my first BEST repair. The switch alone was almost $400.00. The dealer is trying to get BRP to cover the hazing headlights. That will be another $800.00 in parts. They originally thought I might also need a meter with the switch, but that was not the case.

Sure glad I spent the $$$ on the BEST warranty!

Gunner

Spyder Garage

It's great to hear you got it fixed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Great news

And the verdict is: replacement of left multi function switch. All strange shifting issues resolved! According to my dealer, when those switches go south, they usually do bizarre things with the turn signals. This is the first time they were able to upshift a Spyder with the turn signal cancel function.

All is well again. And I just used well over half of what I paid for the BEST warranty on my first BEST repair. The switch alone was almost $400.00. The dealer is trying to get BRP to cover the hazing headlights. That will be another $800.00 in parts. They originally thought I might also need a meter with the switch, but that was not the case.

Sure glad I spent the $$$ on the BEST warranty!

Gunner
    Thats awesome that they were able to duplicate, fix and cover the issue with the best warranty! Glad we bought the additional 2 years as well. Even though we haven’t used it it’s a great peace of mind.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Electronic issues can be scary sometimes. Glad you were able to get it fixed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting about your good resolution.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi