Spyder Garage

Default drive belt - rear axle nut torque

So it is a rainy day today, so no riding unfortunately, but plants and lawn will be happy. So I was looking through the shop manual for my 2013 ST Ltd and reading about the drive belt tension, wondering if this is something I could do myself; check to ensure it is good. I don't have a belt tension gauge at present, so was just reading up on how doable this would be for someone like myself that is not overly mechanical, but not scared to try things out. Anyhow, I see in the manual the drive belt tension procedure and at the end, the last step is to tighten the rear axle nut and they provide the torque spec as 225 Nm or 166lbf.ft. Then I read on to the next instructions to ensure the belt is aligned correctly.. thus the Drive Belt Alignment section of the manual. And again at the end the last procedure is to tighten the rear axle nut, however this time they have the torque spec to be 130Nm or 96lbft.ft. Why would the two be different specs for the same nut, and an important one at that!

Spyder Garage

Someone hasn’t done their proofreading correctly, lebon. For the 2013 models to current, BRP upped the axle torque from 96 to 166 ft lbs (+/- 10%). No one has yet found a reason for that, of which I am aware.

The above info (except for the “no one knows why” bit) is direct from BRP themselves.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default funny coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Someone hasn’t done their proofreading correctly, lebon. For the 2013 models to current, BRP upped the axle torque from 96 to 166 ft lbs (+/- 10%). No one has yet found a reason for that, of which I am aware.

The above info (except for the “no one knows why” bit) is direct from BRP themselves.

Pete

Ah, thanks Pete ... and now for the funny coincidence.... the first to reply to my post is a fellow from Harrington, Australia.... and Harrington happens to be my sir name! Go figure! Cheers mate. Simon
    2013 ST LTD; 2019 Ryker Rally