Spyder Garage

Question Oil Dripping onto drive belt RT Canam Techno 2010 model

Hi all", I have noticed some little oil marks on my drive belt on my Spyder lately. I pulled the left hand side plastics off the Spyder and could not see anything, so I pull plastics off again and have another look at it in a few days. Dealer said i may have overfilled the Spyder with oil, but I am very carefull when filling the oil tank up, and I just put a little oil in it then run it and check it again, so I don't think it has been overfilled. I hope it is something simple. Any ideas would be appreciated,

Regards Peter

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterRT View Post
    Hi all", I have noticed some little oil marks on my drive belt on my Spyder lately. I pulled the left hand side plastics off the Spyder and could not see anything, so I pull plastics off again and have another look at it in a few days. Dealer said i may have overfilled the Spyder with oil, but I am very carefull when filling the oil tank up, and I just put a little oil in it then run it and check it again, so I don't think it has been overfilled. I hope it is something simple. Any ideas would be appreciated,

Regards Peter
    Well Peter. If you had actually overfilled the oil tank, the carry over would go up into the air box unless your dipstick was lose or the O-ring was missing. The oil tank doesn't vent overboard. So when you pull the plastics off, just look around that left hand side for oil that may have run down from above. Also, if your HCM filter cap is leaking a bit, the wind blows it back along that left splash pan and back onto the belt that way. See if the HCM unit looks dry or not. And if you've changed the oil lately, there's always some residual hiding in the frame that blows back that direction. Check your two drain plugs to ensure they are dry. A long shot would be the transmission output shaft seal. If you're not seeing drips on the floor after it sits overnight, it's not a big worry. Just give it a good inspection and see what you find. Bottom Line, a little oil on the belt won't hurt anything. Just think of all the crap that gets on it when you're out in the rain. It's just an indication that you MIGHT have a drip someplace.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 06-02-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Well Peter. If you had actually overfilled the oil tank, the carry over would go up into the air box unless your dipstick was lose or the O-ring was missing. The oil tank doesn't vent overboard. So when you pull the plastics off, just look around that left hand side for oil that may have run down from above. Also, if your HCM filter cap is leaking a bit, the wind blows it back along that left splash pan and back onto the belt that way. See if the HCM unit looks dry or not. And if you've changed the oil lately, there's always some residual hiding in the frame that blows back that direction. Check your two drain plugs to ensure they are dry. A long shot would be the transmission output shaft seal. If you're not seeing drips on the floor after it sits overnight, it's not a big worry. Just give it a good inspection and see what you find. Bottom Line, a little oil on the belt won't hurt anything. Just think of all the crap that gets on it when you're out in the rain. It's just an indication that you MIGHT have a drip someplace.
    Thanks mate I have a look at it

Spyder Garage

Red face Possible Oil leak

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hi Doug", I took the Spyder in for a new rear tyre yesterday and the only place they could see an oil stain was on the cylilder breather tube, and I read a post here earlier about that, so I will just look and see of the oil stains on the belt and just keep an eye on it. Thanks for your help,

Regards Peter

Spyder Garage

Did you look at the front drive sprocket oil seal? Underneath the drive sprocket is the output shaft that goes into the transmission. That has a small oil seal around it. It can be changed without much disassembly. They aren't known to be problems on Spyders, but on some motorcycle models they can be very problematic. This could account for oil stains on the drive belt.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Did you look at the front drive sprocket oil seal? Underneath the drive sprocket is the output shaft that goes into the transmission. That has a small oil seal around it. It can be changed without much disassembly. They aren't known to be problems on Spyders, but on some motorcycle models they can be very problematic. This could account for oil stains on the drive belt.
    Yeah and I can't see any oil or stains near it,

regards Peter

Spyder Garage

Default 6/24 / 2018

hey guy ! any new developments in the oil drip department ? could it have been some of those hose clamp things ? ( I forget what they are called ... ) Possible oil leak
    Hi all", my RT 2010 Techno Spyder is ruinning good but I noticed there is a couple of oil marks on the outside of the drive belt. I looked underneath the left hand side and the plastic that covers the filters on the SE5 and a drain plug underneath with a hax head bolt on it has oil on it. I don't know where the oil is coming from but I look at it in the morning <-------- is this still you ( posted 4/ 2018 ) ?

Spyder Garage

Default problems for sure

if you had that sort of oil in the photo , and still have drips 2 or 3 months later , you need a mechanic ! ( if it were me , this is just me now , take all the plastic off , strip her ! wash off any oil , use degreaser and lots of water , run the cycle for 2 days or so ---- not highway , just tool around your neighbor hood , wave at folks like you are getting ready for a parade ! no one will question it then , ---- you can see a whole lot better where the oil is coming from , there is a lot of torx bolts along the front of the engine , and the oil plugs with O-rings , plenty of places to leak from --- not to for get the oil filter area , you get a twisted o-ring here and you will get a constant drip .... ( who preformed the last oil change ? shop or yourself ? )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    if you had that sort of oil in the photo , and still have drips 2 or 3 months later , you need a mechanic ! ( if it were me , this is just me now , take all the plastic off , strip her ! wash off any oil , use degreaser and lots of water , run the cycle for 2 days or so ---- not highway , just tool around your neighbor hood , wave at folks like you are getting ready for a parade ! no one will question it then , ---- you can see a whole lot better where the oil is coming from , there is a lot of torx bolts along the front of the engine , and the oil plugs with O-rings , plenty of places to leak from --- not to for get the oil filter area , you get a twisted o-ring here and you will get a constant drip .... ( who preformed the last oil change ? shop or yourself ? )
    Hi Mate", bike went to mechanic and they found the oil leak. They said that the oil breather tube was the culprit so they tightened the clamp over it and no leaks since then and travelled 500 Kms. I insert a picture of underneath and no oil marks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default good deal !

glad to hear you found and had it fixed ! looking good and clean !

Spyder Garage

Angry

I hope that's what's wrong with the Ryker Rally I bought yesterday. 65 mile Ride home went fine but I practiced handling at the limit for about 10 minutes in a safe area when I got near home. All went fine but I was engulfed in a cloud of oil smoke when I parked. Oil burning off the muffler and dripping from bottom of bike. Dealer said not to ride and picked it up this morning.