Spyder Garage

Default Pushed my headlight adjustment screw in to far.

Well I was adjusting headlights tonight according to the Manuel. Left light was to low and right light was very high. I was turning and adjusting and the screw went all the way in. I just replaced headlight bulbs a couple of days ago and fixed mirrors today. So I know how to take dash off and get in there. Where will the screw be at? Under headlight? So I assume I don't need to take rubber cap off? I will need a new screw since the head is stripped. Has anyone replaced the adjustment screw? How did it go? Any tips or advice on what I should expect? Thank you. 2009 RS
    Last edited by tspappe; 06-02-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...ighting-system they only list GS for 2009 but maybe you can see what your looking for
    good luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default cable ?

IMG_20171110_135448.jpg here is the right side of my r-t ( if you zoom in , if you can ? there is a black cable that is running up and down , right in front of the air cleaner box ,and right behind the plastic part of the body , this cable is attacked too the adjustment arm , which is bronze or copper in color with splines , this is what we use to adjust the up and down on the lights ) I am not sure what screw you were adjusting ? I my not be in the same part area you are working with . just give you some information incase you were using the wrong location on your situation ...

Spyder Garage

Default cable or not

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...ighting-system they only list GS for 2009 but maybe you can see what your looking for { from this link , I see the whole exploded view of the light assembly , mmmm makes me think you do not have the adjustment cable on your cycle ... sorry for putting my 3 cents in and no change !
    Last edited by youngers; 06-02-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

Here's the adjusting screw. I'm not sure how you could have lost it.
    Did you remove the locking nut ??
    Then perhaps you pushed the cable through ? You should be able to reach behind and fish it back into the hole.
    I hope this is helpful. Please keep us posted on your progress.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

This post is a geat example of why you should always start off by mentioning what style and model Spyder you are inquiring about . The RT's have knob and cable to adjust the headlights, do all Spyders adjust this way?

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default frist post

ffrom the start it sounds like he took the light assembly apart , then tried too adjust from the head lamp area , like you did when auto motive lights were adjusted ... this might be where we are getting the wrong adjustment idea , they went through ...

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like....

Seems from the parts list that there is no numbers for the adustment screws. There are two to each light a left to right and an up and down screw. On the GS,RS,RSS there is no cable involved just a direct screw adjuster. May have to talk to the parts guys and see if they have a better parts listing.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I am trying to take the collar off under headlight and it will not unsnap. I did remove 2 plastic screws in the front. Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tspappe View Post
    I am trying to take the collar off under headlight and it will not unsnap. I did remove 2 plastic screws in the front. Any suggestions?
    Did the same thing to mine. Not a good design at all. I had to go in from the back side and and shove it back thru. Still running the same headlight. Only way to repair it is a new headlight assembly. They done sale the parts needed to repair it. Also not a lot of room to get to it. The screw that adjust the headlight is like a ball socket. If you screw them in too far they will come out of socket. You can shove them back in but will come back out real easy now. I had to move my light by hand until I liked the way the shined.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Might help....

Heres a shot of the assembly....
    20180602_084237.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The collar came off with some very hard tugs. I was able to use a pair of plyers to adjust the screw. Its hard to tell in daylight if I made any progress. So I will check tonight. I did notice I can move the lightbulb casing with my fingers. I will try that tonight of the plyers didn't make a difference.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default headlite screw issue

Well I was adjusting headlights tonight according to the Manuel. Left light was to low and right light was very high. I was turning and adjusting and the screw went all the way in. I just replaced headlight bulbs a couple of days ago and fixed mirrors today. So I know how to take dash off and get in there. Where will the screw be at? Under headlight? So I assume I don't need to take rubber cap off? I will need a new screw since the head is stripped. Has anyone replaced the adjustment screw? How did it go? Any tips or advice on what I should expect? Thank you. 2009 RS
    IMHO , take the other one out and use that to get a New one to match ..... All the bolts -nuts etc. used on the Spyder are common metric items ..... The only thing I know for a fact is BRP had the rear speakers for the RT made to their SIZE specifications , the rear speakers are in a size that is not commercially made ( not that I could find anyway ) .... the fronts are standard 5.25 in. .....................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO , take the other one out and use that to get a New one to match ..... All the bolts -nuts etc. used on the Spyder are common metric items ..... The only thing I know for a fact is BRP had the rear speakers for the RT made to their SIZE specifications , the rear speakers are in a size that is not commercially made ( not that I could find anyway ) .... the fronts are standard 5.25 in. .....................Mike
    The adjuster that controls the lights is a specialty made screw. It has a round piece made into it that fits in a plastic socket. Poor design. The round piece rotates in the socket as you adjust up or down. There is a plastic piece on the back side that stays stationary as you adjust it.

David

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default headlite screw

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    The adjuster that controls the lights is a specialty made screw. It has a round piece made into it that fits in a plastic socket. Poor design. The round piece rotates in the socket as you adjust up or down. There is a plastic piece on the back side that stays stationary as you adjust it.

David
    .......... your right a specially designed part ........WHY

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Did the same thing to mine. Not a good design at all. I had to go in from the back side and and shove it back thru. Still running the same headlight. Only way to repair it is a new headlight assembly. They done sale the parts needed to repair it. Also not a lot of room to get to it. The screw that adjust the headlight is like a ball socket. If you screw them in too far they will come out of socket. You can shove them back in but will come back out real easy now. I had to move my light by hand until I liked the way the shined.
    David
    David, how did you move them by hand? I just backed the screw in the opposite direction and I still had no change. I tried adjusting them by hand but that didn't work either. Also tried tapping the rubber part on a screwdriver and nothing either. I am puzzled

Spyder Garage

David, how did you move them by hand? I just backed the screw in the opposite direction and I still had no change. I tried adjusting them by hand but that didn't work either. Also tried tapping the rubber part on a screwdriver and nothing either. I am puzzled
    I figured it out!!! You move the whole housing with your hands. Now trying to put the collar back on. I am going to give it a rest now and start fresh in the morning. Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you're 'screwed' … sorry had to do it!