Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
    A (very nice and helpful) local dealer let me take a 2017 RT for a test ride today. I barely out of the parking lot before having to call it off. Unfortunately, I found that I'm profoundly unsafe riding a Spyder. (Note that I'm not saying the *Spyder* is unsafe, just that *I* can't seem to operate one correctly.)

Apparently the subconscious reflexes and muscle memory from 40 years and 100,000+ miles on two wheels was something I just couldn't suppress. I kept instinctively leaning, countersteering, reaching for the front brake, trying to put my foot down at stops, and all the other things that you do on bikes that you must *not* do on Spyders. I'd keep turning left when I needed to go right, etc....

A Spyder might not be such a good idea for me, after all. Any older, long-term 2-wheel riders who had this problem and could tell me how long it took you to get past this phase? It looks like I'd have to spend an awful lot of time with a Spyder on a vacant lot somewhere - on a road with traffic, I'd be a menace.
    do you lean on 4 wheelers? Do you lean on ski doos? I think you set up false expectations and thought you were riding a motorcycle. If you are of adult age, set up the right expectations and everything else will follow in a week or so.
    2017 F3 Daytona , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

The zombie thread that won't go away. I've inadvertently created a monster. Before anyone else tries to bring this back from the dead:

- my questions were politely answered by some of the more helpful board members, back in May
    - I am really good at ignoring the less helpful folks, so you might as well spare your keyboard the wear and tear
    - taking the Can-Am "Learn to ride a Spyder course" helped immensely
    - I have a 2017 RT now and am quite happy with it

Please let this poor abused thread die a humane death now...
    current ryde: 2017 RT-S

previous bikes:
    1975 Yamaha RD 200, 1978 Honda CX 500, 1980 Yamaha SR 500, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550,
    2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Take 3W course

A (very nice and helpful) local dealer let me take a 2017 RT for a test ride today. I barely out of the parking lot before having to call it off. Unfortunately, I found that I'm profoundly unsafe riding a Spyder. (Note that I'm not saying the *Spyder* is unsafe, just that *I* can't seem to operate one correctly.)

Apparently the subconscious reflexes and muscle memory from 40 years and 100,000+ miles on two wheels was something I just couldn't suppress. I kept instinctively leaning, countersteering, reaching for the front brake, trying to put my foot down at stops, and all the other things that you do on bikes that you must *not* do on Spyders. I'd keep turning left when I needed to go right, etc....

A Spyder might not be such a good idea for me, after all. Any older, long-term 2-wheel riders who had this problem and could tell me how long it took you to get past this phase? It looks like I'd have to spend an awful lot of time with a Spyder on a vacant lot somewhere - on a road with traffic, I'd be a menace.
    It it took me about 500 miles to “get it” on the Spyder. I recommend you take a local 3W course, they teach you on a Spyder, how to handle the Spyder...and you save money on insurance (if u haven’t already taken the class for motorcycles). When I took the class there were 4 people who already had a Class M License, they were considering switching to the Spyder. All 4 of them said they were glad they took the course. BRP is subsidizing this class so it will only cost you $125, and I’ve heard some dealers actually refund your $125 fee.
    Maybe the Spyder isn’t right for you, but I think taking the class may be your best option.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    It it took me about 500 miles to “get it” on the Spyder. I recommend you take a local 3W course, they teach you on a Spyder, how to handle the Spyder...and you save money on insurance (if u haven’t already taken the class for motorcycles). When I took the class there were 4 people who already had a Class M License, they were considering switching to the Spyder. All 4 of them said they were glad they took the course. BRP is subsidizing this class so it will only cost you $125, and I’ve heard some dealers actually refund your $125 fee.
    Maybe the Spyder isn’t right for you, but I think taking the class may be your best option.
    Look at the date of the first post, then skip all 4 pages and read the post above you

Spyder Garage

All will be good. Took me about 50 to 75 miles to figure out how this bike works. The hardest thing I finally go use to was not trying to put my feet down every time I stopped and not reaching for that front brake lever that's not there. But all is good now. Time in the saddle will help a lot Good Luck and Happy Trails

Spyder Garage

They post among us.

Zombies_Real.jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

It's no different than riding a quad or a snowmobile.

Spyder Garage

The zombie thread that won't go away. I've inadvertently created a monster. Before anyone else tries to bring this back from the dead:

- my questions were politely answered by some of the more helpful board members, back in May
    - I am really good at ignoring the less helpful folks, so you might as well spare your keyboard the wear and tear
    - taking the Can-Am "Learn to ride a Spyder course" helped immensely
    - I have a 2017 RT now and am quite happy with it

Please let this poor abused thread die a humane death now...
    It's obviously got a life of its own!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!