Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Being that you life in Denver buy a snowmobile and learn from that lol. It will have you riding a spyder in no time

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
    A (very nice and helpful) local dealer let me take a 2017 RT for a test ride today. I barely out of the parking lot before having to call it off. Unfortunately, I found that I'm profoundly unsafe riding a Spyder. (Note that I'm not saying the *Spyder* is unsafe, just that *I* can't seem to operate one correctly.)

Apparently the subconscious reflexes and muscle memory from 40 years and 100,000+ miles on two wheels was something I just couldn't suppress. I kept instinctively leaning, countersteering, reaching for the front brake, trying to put my foot down at stops, and all the other things that you do on bikes that you must *not* do on Spyders. I'd keep turning left when I needed to go right, etc....

A Spyder might not be such a good idea for me, after all. Any older, long-term 2-wheel riders who had this problem and could tell me how long it took you to get past this phase? It looks like I'd have to spend an awful lot of time with a Spyder on a vacant lot somewhere - on a road with traffic, I'd be a menace.
    Don't feel bad you are not alone!

OK I am involved with motorcycle owners and trikes and the very first question I ask a new tester is " have you ever ridden an ATV or snowmobile?" In general anyone who has will have little to no problems adjusting to a trike. The life long riders who have never ridden any kind of vehicle of this type experience variable degrees of problems ranging from over leaning over corrections and numb hands. My instruction is always the same. First get your feet on the pegs, it can't possibly tip over so keep your feet on the pegs. Also forget it's a motorcycle pretend you are cutting the lawn and simply steer. Do not lean into the corners just stiffen your outboard arm and push on the outside grip stiff armed. This will brace your upper body and at the same time create a neutral feel. And relax, ride one handed and just let the bike do it's thing. You are hyper sensitive and just need to acclimate to the feel of this new machine.
    I have had new riders take off like blazes with almost zero adjustment time required and have had some that found it impossible to turn even at 1mph they just drive straight ahead into the curb. It is 100% mental and even with the worst of the worst in time they do come around.

What is amazing to me is 99.9% of all road vehicles on earth do not lean yet there is this kind of difficulty when trying to ride a non-leaning vehicle.

Spyder Garage

A (very nice and helpful) local dealer let me take a 2017 RT for a test ride today. I barely out of the parking lot before having to call it off. Unfortunately, I found that I'm profoundly unsafe riding a Spyder. (Note that I'm not saying the *Spyder* is unsafe, just that *I* can't seem to operate one correctly.)

Apparently the subconscious reflexes and muscle memory from 40 years and 100,000+ miles on two wheels was something I just couldn't suppress. I kept instinctively leaning, countersteering, reaching for the front brake, trying to put my foot down at stops, and all the other things that you do on bikes that you must *not* do on Spyders. I'd keep turning left when I needed to go right, etc....

A Spyder might not be such a good idea for me, after all. Any older, long-term 2-wheel riders who had this problem and could tell me how long it took you to get past this phase? It looks like I'd have to spend an awful lot of time with a Spyder on a vacant lot somewhere - on a road with traffic, I'd be a menace.
    don't be a quitter and give up. I along with probably most of the Spyder owners on this blog had the same issues initially. I was very leery on my first voyage down the street. each time out it became easier and now on my 4th Spyder (2010, 2012, 2014 and 2018) and many thousands of miles later and feel like a seasoned pro. AND I'm 77 years young!!!!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Didnt read through the entire thread but as a prior Harley ride for years I'd recommend a large empty parking lot and a few hours of patience and riding. It really won't take long when you're focused
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    don't be a quitter and give up.
    No two people are exactly alike.
    While that might be good advice for some, for others it might be a death sentence.

The wording of your suggestion smacks of bullying and intimidation.
    NOT GOOD.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    No two people are exactly alike.
    While that might be good advice for some, for others it might be a death sentence.

The wording of your suggestion smacks of bullying and intimidation.
    NOT GOOD.
    Odd, I saw no bullying or intimidation in his post. In order to intimidate there most usually is a threat of some sort which there was none of. Perhaps the implication was not to give up one something that will most likely be quite enjoyable if he keeps at it. touchy-feely times we live in.

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

Parking lot maneuvers! 1200 miles and still learning. So much fun building new muscle memories. Rode today in a mist of rain. Smiles all the way to work.

Spyder Garage

OK folks, listen up and pay attention!

Stay alert!

Didn't anyone here notice that Rodentrancher, the original poster, first posted on 5/31/18 then posted twice more on that day and has been MIA since then?

Obviously Rodentrancher was killed trying to wrestle his tricycle down the road, or was told by his significant other or his mother that he wasn't allowed to get a tricycle, or was just a troll.

All you folks are just continuing to blindly sing to the choir.

And, of course, now you are starting to argue among yourselves.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    OK folks, listen up and pay attention!

Stay alert!

Didn't anyone here notice that Rodentrancher, the original poster, first posted on 5/31/18 then posted twice more on that day and has been MIA since then?

Obviously Rodentrancher was killed trying to wrestle his tricycle down the road, or was told by his significant other or his mother that he wasn't allowed to get a tricycle, or was just a troll.

All you folks are just continuing to blindly sing to the choir.

And, of course, now you are starting to argue among yourselves.
    buzzkill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nah.. he's still here lurking while we argue amongst ourselves. His profile shows his last login as Yesterday 07:26 AM
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

And he's already bought a Spyder and likes it, check his June 22 thread
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...3827-New-Owner
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder is Really Different

Yes it is different, but not that hard to get used to. I think it is important to mentally prepare yourself before ryding any three wheeled vehicle. I have over 50 years of motorcycle riding, consisting of probably half a million miles plus on everything from a Honda S-90 to Harley Road Kings to Several Goldwings. Last year I bought a Ural sidecar outfit, and before riding it, I asked a lot of questions of the previous owner. He warned me about STEERING and not leaning or counter steering. He also warned me about the "pendulum" effect associated with sidecars. Accelerating causes it to veer right, and decelerating causes it to veer left. After about an hour of talking to him I got on and rode home without incident because I was mentally prepared when I did experience these issues. When I got the Spyder, it was a piece of cake. although it does require direct steering like the Ural, it handles much better.

Although I still own and ride 4 motorcycles, I have been exploring the world of three wheeled vehicles because I no longer feel confident on a 800 plus pound 2 wheeler with the wife and luggage at slow speeds in heavy traffic.

My advice would be to give it a chance. Take a Spyder riding course, and practice in an open safe environment.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Spyder Garage

LOL
    I've got a 4-wheeler with hand brakes I ride at my lake home and always catch myself grabbing for the same when I'm on my Spyder???? and just the opposite looking for a foot brake on the 4-wheeler???
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Yup! Lots of things to "unlearn" if you are coming off of two wheels.

It does take 100 to 500 miles to "learn" how to . They are different from two.

It took me almost 1000 miles to "learn."

You can do it...but you have to give it a good honest try if you want to learn.
    Many of us have had years on 2 wheels. With the right mindset it can be done. Couple hundred miles for everything but concentrate on the basics mentioned to get started
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

We all hear this a lot from motorcyclists. Try replying by asking, "So, tell me—how well could you control a two-wheeler after your first ride across a parking lot or one block down the street?"

It's curious how often the "two-wheels-good" people malign the Spyder for being "training wheels" and requiring no skill to ride — but then get disgusted when they discover that it does actually have a learning curve and does take a certain set of skills to ride.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If he did get a Spyder: good on him!
    But I suppose we'd all like to hear how's he's adapting to it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If he did get a Spyder: good on him!
    But I suppose we'd all like to hear how's he's adapting to it...
    Yep, sorry, started new thread to talk about that and neglected to post again in this one.

Went to one of those BRP-sponsored "Learn to Ride a Spyder" classes and spent some hours on a training range where I didn't have to worry about being crushed by traffic. Made all the difference.

Bought the same 2017 RT that almost got the best of me during the demo test ride (the dealer got a 2018 in for a new demo, gave me a good deal on the "old" one). Have put about 2500 miles on it so far, like it quite a bit. Have found the various usual quirks and minor hassles most people note, and getting them sorted out, but overall quite happy on three wheels.
    current ryde: 2017 RT-S

previous bikes:
    1975 Yamaha RD 200, 1978 Honda CX 500, 1980 Yamaha SR 500, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550,
    2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Default New ryder here too

Trust me, you will learn. I have had my 2017 RT-S for less then a week. I too was constantly grabbing for clutch and break. I have almost 200 miles on it now and am MUCH more comfortable on it. It's the turns that I am still getting used to. 90 degrees aren't bad, highway long slow turns aren't bad, it's the ones in between that are killing me. I am still struggling with the "relax and ryde" portion, but I'm getting there. Still have to learn you need to lightly slam the side storage doors, twice I have had the orange warning on my dash come on telling me "Hey idiot, your door is open". But I'm getting there. Don't let it beat you. Once you get it, it's a very cool ryde. The other oddity is actually feeling the road. A smooth road is a dream, a patchwork road sucks, you feel the bike moving on every part of it. Not like it's out of control, more like a low sports car feels every patch of asphalt and every dip in the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're both well on the way!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default me too

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Yup! Lots of things to "unlearn" if you are coming off of two wheels.

It does take 100 to 500 miles to "learn" how to . They are different from two.

It took me almost 1000 miles to "learn."

You can do it...but you have to give it a good honest try if you want to learn.
    It also took me about 1000 miles to "learn". I was having a bit of buyers remorse immediately after getting my RT but my husband kept telling me to just take it out every day and keep trying different roads that I was used to from 2 wheels so that I'd experience the "new" in different situations. I kept at it each day and got through the first 1000 miles in a couple of weeks and after that I was in love and I will never go back to 2 wheels.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!, Most fun ya ever had with your clothes on and legal. Keep trying and take baby steps, just lije when you started on 2 wheels.

Spyder Garage

It Is Different. Right there with you as far as riding bikes are concerned. I found myself reaching for the clutch and brake levers as well. Once you get used to it you'll be ok unless you give up.

Spyder Garage

What many people don't appreciate is that riding a Spyder is not much different than piloting a sidecar rig. You steer with the handlebars, the machine doesn't lean but you have to lean your body (although a bit more on the sidecar side!), etc. Folks have been riding sidecar rigs ever since motorcycle were invented over 100 years ago. So the "steering with the handlebars" experience is not that unique.

The key difference between a Spyder and a sidecar rig is that, in the Spyder, braking and thrust are symmetrical. In a sidecar rig, the sidecar's mass creates some interesting inertia. Pulling away from a stop, it tends to stay at rest, hence the rig pulls slightly to the right. When braking, the sidecar wants to stay in motion, hence the rig pulls to the left. A seasoned sidecar pilot learns how to accommodate these eccentricities.

Bottom line: Spyder riders are not alone.

Spyder Garage

I had my first Spyder ride in a parking lot at a lake back in 2015. A friend of mine who once rode Goldwings had switched to the Spyder about three years prior and agreed to let me test ride his as we were looking get one for my wife. She is one of those folks who would probably never be safe on two wheels. She tried to learn to ride bikes but just didn't seem to have the mental attitude to do it properly. We started looking at Spyders about a year after I gave myself my first sport bike for my 60th birthday and she said the next purchase would be her getting a Spyder. Well, my friend brought his Spyder over with his wife on the back and Deb and I followed them over to a big boat parking lost near the local lake where he allowed us to both drive it around that parking lot for about 10 minutes each. I wasn't terribly impressed but she liked it a lot. We then sort of put it on the back burner for a couple of years as I was in the process of getting things in order for retirement. Then in the fall of '17 we took a serious look at them again. I had a deal in the works for a 2014 RT Limited and in the mean time went to a dealer for a test ride. That was on one of the 998s with no aftermarket stabilization. I still was not impressed but we agreed a Spyder would be the best option for her so finished the deal on the 2014 from the individual. The PO brought that machine to my sis-in-law's house in Denton so I would not have to deal with Dallas traffic where he lived. My first truly long ride on a Spyder was 420 miles to get home. I too, found myself wanting to put my feet down and kept grabbing for the front brake that wasn't there. Other than that, no problems except getting used to the response to road variations from having three wheels instead of two. This was all after I had over 430K miles on bikes since 1968. I'm sure you can adapt; it will just take a bit of determination and being fully aware of the differences all the time until the new way of controlling it becomes second nature. I now have ridden the Spyder about 6000 miles and it's no problem at all.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I see we are back to singing to the choir...
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller