Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

This won't help you, but it adds another view to the mix.
    I found the ride on the Spyder to be profoundly different from a two wheel vehicle.
    So much different, in fact, that I didn't bring any of those two wheel habits over to the Spyder.
    I never tried to counter steer, or lean into the curve.
    Well......let me clarify, there were two things I needed to get used to.
    The first is the lack of the front brake lever. I would reach for the non-existent lever when trying to stop. It took several hours of saddle time to unlearn that habit.
    The second was more difficult to unlearn, and more important.
    On two wheels, you generally ride in the left tire track.
    If you do that on a Spyder, the left wheel is over the yellow line and in the opposite traffic lane.
    The Spyder needs to ride in the middle of the lane. This took me a few weeks before riding in the center of the lane seemed natural.
    So, see if you can get access to a Spyder for a few hours. Rent one if you can. Drive around the parking lot until you feel comfortable.
    Once you feel completely comfortable with the Spyder...drive it around the parking lot for ANOTHER 30 minutes.
    Then, and only then should you take it out on some local back roads with little or no traffic.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Hey it's just like riding a "two wheeler" with a training wheel. Once you figure out which one is the training wheel you will have wrestled

that sucker into submission and there ya go!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
    Well, I suppose that makes sense. You probably won't be surprised to hear that I've never been on either an ATV or a snowmobile in my life.
    Boy are you missing out!
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

If you think of it as riding a quad or a jetski, all those issues go away!
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Yes, it takes a bit of effort. About 600 miles for me before I really felt like hammering my Spyder. It was a gradual thing. I wasn't a basket case for 600 miles. But I did start out that way.

Some give up too soon and really miss out. I was VERY close to being one of those. If Lamont hadn't shamed me into it, I'd have given up. I am sure glad I did not. It was well worth it.

You have to consciously and constantly think about everything. Just like you did when you first learned to ride 2 wheels. You probably only persevered then because you saw other people making it look so easy and you figured if they could do it, then you could too. (Though I'll bet you had a few doubts as you picked yourself up off the ground a few times on your 1st bicycle).

Think of the handlebars as a steering wheel on a car. Don't try to slip into a groove early on as you'll revert to your 2 wheel muscle memory. Which you've already discovered isn't going to work well.

Once you get the hang of it you'll be flying and smiling and wondering what the big deal was. And you can then easily go from 2 to 3 wheels with no problem.

Good Luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Rodentrancher, You hail from Denver and have never had a chance to drive a sled up there in the mile high back country. Put that on your bucket list too. Riding a spyder is a lot like riding a sled, as others above have said, drive it like a sled. Most of them that I've ridden had no front brake , matter of fact, no brake but lettin off the gas! You don't counter steer (and you use lots of body english) to whip it through the twisties. Matter of fact I think I use less body english more steering on the Spyder, and the hooking the inside knee, pushing on the outside peg/floorboard.
    I do gotta say getting used to one brake pedal was my longest Spyder transition (that and setting the parking brake when shutting down).
    I'm only 60 and only rode cycles since I was 11 or so, mx first, street, crotch rockets, cruisers, even maxi scooters, but the Spyder has been OUTSTANDING since I got one. Sit on it and think snowmobile or go cart with handle bars and you'll get "tuned in" in no time.
    The Spyder 3 Wheel class will help your confidence as others have already stated.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I would say I have ridden two wheels about 100k kilometres, about 62,000 miles. I had been watching the Spyder’s ever since they came out. I went to my first test rides with two tips: drive it like a car and easy on the handlebars. It took me literally just a few minutes to be comfortable, basically as soon as I rode out of the parking lot. It’s all in your mind. Focus and be aware100%.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

After 50 years on two wheels, got a Spyder.

Took all of @ 15 minutes before felt comfortable.
    Different strokes for different folks.

AJ
    A (very nice and helpful) local dealer let me take a 2017 RT for a test ride today. I barely out of the parking lot before having to call it off. Unfortunately, I found that I'm profoundly unsafe riding a Spyder. (Note that I'm not saying the *Spyder* is unsafe, just that *I* can't seem to operate one correctly.)

Apparently the subconscious reflexes and muscle memory from 40 years and 100,000+ miles on two wheels was something I just couldn't suppress. I kept instinctively leaning, countersteering, reaching for the front brake, trying to put my foot down at stops, and all the other things that you do on bikes that you must *not* do on Spyders. I'd keep turning left when I needed to go right, etc....

A Spyder might not be such a good idea for me, after all. Any older, long-term 2-wheel riders who had this problem and could tell me how long it took you to get past this phase? It looks like I'd have to spend an awful lot of time with a Spyder on a vacant lot somewhere - on a road with traffic, I'd be a menace.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

A (very nice and helpful) local dealer let me take a 2017 RT for a test ride today. I barely out of the parking lot before having to call it off. Unfortunately, I found that I'm profoundly unsafe riding a Spyder. (Note that I'm not saying the *Spyder* is unsafe, just that *I* can't seem to operate one correctly.)

Apparently the subconscious reflexes and muscle memory from 40 years and 100,000+ miles on two wheels was something I just couldn't suppress. I kept instinctively leaning, countersteering, reaching for the front brake, trying to put my foot down at stops, and all the other things that you do on bikes that you must *not* do on Spyders. I'd keep turning left when I needed to go right, etc....

A Spyder might not be such a good idea for me, after all. Any older, long-term 2-wheel riders who had this problem and could tell me how long it took you to get past this phase? It looks like I'd have to spend an awful lot of time with a Spyder on a vacant lot somewhere - on a road with traffic, I'd be a menace.
    I had right at 60 years on two wheels and at first the Spyder seemed foreign to me too, but after sticking with it for a little while i wouldn't go back. It was a matter of I love the wind in the face and all what goes with cycling and the Harley and Goldwing were just getting too heavy to be comfortable with. It's all a state of mind and after a couple of hundred miles I think you will find a Spyder very comfortable.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh, I did, indeed. My first time on a MC was on a dirt bike on my cousin's farm - rather a better newbie environment than downtown Denver...

I'm thinking I might give one of those Can-Am "learn to ride" classes a try. Figure out the basic operating procedures in a more controlled environment.
    I've not done the "learn to ride" class so I don't know how much that will help if you can't get comfortable on the Spyder while you're there. So before you do the class, I'd recommend going back to the dealer and test ryde it in their parking lot at slower speeds. Practice right-angle turns, u-turns, weaves, sudden stops, etc. That should help you get ready for the class and for eventual Spyder ownership.

Good luck and
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any older, long-term 2-wheel riders who had this problem and could tell me how long it took you to get past this phase? It looks like I'd have to spend an awful lot of time with a Spyder on a vacant lot somewhere - on a road with traffic, I'd be a menace.
    It has been discussed on here extensively......and repeatedly.
    Please do some searching for those previous discussions.

I've been on 2 wheels for about 50 years.
    It took me 3 test rides to convince myself that I could make the transition.
    It has taken me about 7 months and 3000 miles to really say that I am now somewhat comfortable.

It varies by individual....a LOT apparently.
    Do some more test rides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I've not done the "learn to ride" class so I don't know how much that will help if you can't get comfortable on the Spyder while you're there. So before you do the class, I'd recommend going back to the dealer and test ryde it in their parking lot at slower speeds. Practice right-angle turns, u-turns, weaves, sudden stops, etc. That should help you get ready for the class and for eventual Spyder ownership.

Good luck and
    The learn to ride class does basics, I do mean very basics from starting up the engine, stopping, reversing, all the way up to doing those roundabout curves in 2nd gear (generally by end of day 1). The idea is to get the driver comfortable hitting the road (or at least kind of comfortable), and hopefully endorsed. At least, that's what they did in WA, the end of the day 2 was the endorsement test. (ps; most found it really easy on a Can-am)
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    This won't help you, but it adds another view to the mix.
    I found the ride on the Spyder to be profoundly different from a two wheel vehicle.
    So much different, in fact, that I didn't bring any of those two wheel habits over to the Spyder.
    I never tried to counter steer, or lean into the curve.
    Well......let me clarify, there were two things I needed to get used to.
    The first is the lack of the front brake lever. I would reach for the non-existent lever when trying to stop. It took several hours of saddle time to unlearn that habit.
    The second was more difficult to unlearn, and more important.
    On two wheels, you generally ride in the left tire track.
    If you do that on a Spyder, the left wheel is over the yellow line and in the opposite traffic lane.
    The Spyder needs to ride in the middle of the lane. This took me a few weeks before riding in the center of the lane seemed natural.
    So, see if you can get access to a Spyder for a few hours. Rent one if you can. Drive around the parking lot until you feel comfortable.
    Once you feel completely comfortable with the Spyder...drive it around the parking lot for ANOTHER 30 minutes.
    Then, and only then should you take it out on some local back roads with little or no traffic.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    very good point regarding the position of the spyder compared to two wheels. Since we have an F3 with a short windshield it helps as that is my reference point while riding. As I am looking forward and down the road, I keep the top of the windscreen centered in the lane, and it keeps the fronts positioned where they should be. I would say that has been the thing I have to concentrate most on. The actual riding mechanics came pretty easy in my case.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It does take a mental reset and re-learning to ride a Spyder. First time I rode one after 10yrs on two wheelers, I tried to countersteer and almost took out a parked car! Same with grabbing the invisible brake lever. Some folks take to it quickly, others take a bit more time to adapt. Even now, when I've been on two wheels for an extended period I have to take a few miles to reacquaint myself with three wheels. Go slow, take a deep breath and consciously talk yourself through steering that Spyder instead of leaning.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Me too..

I was terrified for 100 miles or so until I relaxed my grip and rested my hands on the handlebars. The white knuckle grip makes the handlebars oscillate on every little bump!! Just relax your palms on the grips and the Spyder knows what to do. As far as total nuubs to the Spyder - my wife has never driven a motorcycle (can barely handle a bicycle), she was tooling around 45-50mph in about an hour, no problems whatsoever. There is unlearning to do

Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Rodentrancher, You hail from Denver and have never had a chance to drive a sled up there in the mile high back country. Put that on your bucket list too.
    Actually, moved to Denver four months ago from Virginia. Spent nearly all my life in places where you got snow maybe twice a year, and 4 inches was a huge, world-ending blizzard. So I've some excuse on the no-snowmobile front. I've less excuse about never having been on an ATV. Just never got to it - when I was in my playing-in-the-dirt phase, I just rode dirt bikes.

But I aim to take your advice about getting up to the back country soon!
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually, moved to Denver four months ago from Virginia. Spent nearly all my life in places where you got snow maybe twice a year, and 4 inches was a huge, world-ending blizzard. So I've some excuse on the no-snowmobile front. I've less excuse about never having been on an ATV. Just never got to it - when I was in my playing-in-the-dirt phase, I just rode dirt bikes. But I aim to take your advice about getting up to the back country soon!
    Well you're in for a treat. Here, we ride all year around. Even in the dead of winter we sometimes get warm days where the roads are dry. We just plug our bikes in and take them out on those nice days.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Can't add too much to what everyone else has said, but I switched last summer, after 50,000 miles on 2 wheels (in 12 years). My learning curve was probably about 600 miles. Now, I'm quite comfortable and very happy I made the switch.

One other suggestion would be to put in for one of the Can Am test ride days when they bring a bunch of Spyders to the dealership. They take you through a short training, including a parking lot course of curves and stops, before a ~20 minute group ride. That's really all the training I had– the rest of my help has come from other members of this group, who encouraged me when I was going through the worst adjustment period (probably the first 200 miles were the worst for me).
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Go spend some time riding ATVs and snowmobiles: the best training that you can get!!
    Bob beat me to it!

Spyder's really are nothing more than snowmobiles on wheels. Have you ever ridden or driven a snowmobile? If you have; that is the experience/s you need to let surface and follow. Good luck!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

I had 50 years of steady MC riding with around 500,000 two wheel miles. I knew going in of the transition problems. Still I felt retarted trying not to run off the side of road. 400 miles in I started to get the hang of it. At 800 I brought my wife along, more two up practice was needed.

Late last May riding to the Home coming I had 3,000+ miles on it. Exiting the Northway for lunch in Lake George I was cut off by a dope texting while driving. With adrenal glands pumping juice out my ears I avoided being killed. I was actually fairly happy because I finally knew I could ride these things. I felt comfortable before, now I felt confident. There's a big difference.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to the club

Hi Dave here,
    Well a few years ago I think 2011 I was t-boned while riding my Honda ST1100
    while sitting at a STOP sign " I had just had my knees replaced 8 weeks earlier"
    I am a Charter Life member of AMA past President of AMA Dist. 36 and have riden
    motorcycles my whole life I am now 76 years old with 62 riding years behind me.
    My wife told me "BUDDY" if you want me to ride with you again you better get
    something that don't tip over...I said what does that have to do with being run down by
    an uninsured DRUNK with no drivers lic. have to do with it... I was sitting still at a Stop Sign.
    She said do it...
    We shopped around for what was available, even gave though to having my GoldWing
    made into a trike, ended up buying a Spyder in Rancho Cordova, CA about 50 miles north
    of where we live in Linden, Julie was following me home, I was ALL OVER THE ROAD
    scared hell out of myself trying to ride this damn thing home without being killed.
    all the way home I was thinking man I just made a BIG expensive mistake.... about half way
    home I pulled into a place for coffee and cool my nerves... my wife said QUOTE you are a danger
    to yourself and everyone on the road on that thing, no way I am getting on it until you learn how
    to ride it. I too was doing all the things you said, trying to counter steer, grabbing for a brake handle
    that was not there and NO damn clutch...this thing is nuts...
    Will in an effort to save face and not loose money I rode it all the time on back roads with no traffic
    until I got the hang of it, You MUST practice and you will get the hang of it, I now have 30K on that one
    and it is my long distance ride when going some place far away, I still have motorcycles I ride but only
    local short hops 100 miles or so or less.
    Have faith you will get the hang of it and grow to enjoy it...
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    Take the class it will be $75 well spent.

As as others have said after a few hundred miles you will be a happy ryder.

I taught a 3-class this past weekend in the morning. Mostly previous 2-wheel riders.

I guess I'm screwed. I also taught a 2-wheel class in the afternoon. It certainly takes a few laps getting your compass re calibrated jumping from one to another!

Take the class....
    Bruce A. Brown #164572
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor
    H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ride a 2005 GW with Road Smith conversion. Met a friend up in TN, lent me the F3, I instantly rode it about 75 miles in the twisties, no problem, a joy to ride.

Spyder Garage

Default New rider

Most people do take some time to get comfortable with a Spyder. i did not, but I was also a ATV Instructor with a lot of time on them. I got my first one at 72 after many, many many miles on two wheels. I kept my two wheel, ST110 for almost three years, however around a thousand the first year, 500 the second and third 50 miles in July. Never have looked back. Goldwing Road Riders have a very good trike course. I highly recommend that as well. Start out in a parking lot with paper cups filled with water as markers. run over them, no problem. Still riding a lot at 82
    Good luck and have fun
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default switching over

Yes it is a change, I have over 600,000 klm on two wheels and I bought mine spyder and almost killed myself driving it home. I went to the parking lots and followed the course as laid out in the manual, now I am comfortable on both. It just takes time.
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe