Spyder Garage

Default Loose Mirror Arms

I have a 2009 RS with stock mirrors. The constantly wobble and shake loose. I read on spyderlovers that someone added star inside lockwashers in the hinge to grip it down. I pulled the screws from the mirrors and have them dangling by the light wire. I dremmeled the previous knubs so I could get a smooth service. I have tried lockwashers and smooth washer and I still don't get any tightness. Any other suggestions? I worked on them entire day yesterday and noon today and can't get it fixed. Buying new mirrors is not in the budget.
    Last edited by tspappe; 05-31-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tspappe View Post
    I have a 2009 RS with stock mirrors. The constantly wobble and shake loose. I read on spyderlovers that someone added star inside lockwashers in the hinge to grip it down. I pulled the screws from the mirrors and have them dangling by the light wire. I dremmeled the previous knubs so I could get a smooth service. I have tried lockwashers and smooth washer and I still don't get any tightness. Any other suggestions? I worked on them entire day yesterday and noon today and can't get it fixed. Buying new mirrors is not in the budget.
    Maybe the panel nut is stripped, what the screw screws into. Is it easy/sloppy when they're unscrewed?
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Well both of my mirrors are completely off bike. We stripped out threads on bottom. Going to get them Tapped tomorrow and buy new bolts. Than hopefully get wobble taken care of too.

Spyder Garage

If it won't tap, try a heli-coil...or maybe try that first. It's for a situation like this if you are not familiar with them.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

We were able to tap it out. Put in rubber washers and it has tightened up. Haven't been on a ride yet. So that will be the real test.