Spyder Garage

Default Honda Goldwing Spyder.

Anyone ever seen this before. I saw this at the gas station today. Conversion starting with a Honda Goldwing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Various bikes since 8 years old
    1999 Honda Nighthawk
    1999 Honda Pacifica
    2005 BMW 1150 RT
    2007 Yamaha Roadliner
    2007 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture
    2013 Can Am Spyder ST

Spyder Garage

They pop up from time to time. There are kits and there was a European mfg. I don't know the final outcome on that.

The problem: Once you start pushing $40K--not for the average person.

Many are looking for Honda to come out with a factory version. We are still waiting for that one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have seen them at Americade .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

could be from Endeavor.
    A guy built a few reverse trikes a while back and is growing his company.
    Look here:
    https://endeavortrikes.com/

look at the gallery for pics of several he has done, some on Wings and also others.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    could be from Endeavor.
    A guy built a few reverse trikes a while back and is growing his company.
    Look here:
    https://endeavortrikes.com/

look at the gallery for pics of several he has done, some on Wings and also others.
    Interesting site. Looks like a good amount of engineering has gone into the conversion, and if the cost is around 10K, if you start with a bike that may be worth around 5k or so, then the price isnt outrageous, especially if you get the benefits of something like a goldwing drivetrain. But they put the same front end on everything they build and IMHO it is Fugly. Looks to me like some cobbled together sheetmetal and standard grate material. For that price, they can come up with something nicer looking in fiberglass or carbon fiber or some other material. And it doesn't look like they give you any storage in that new space either.

2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

That front end is about as bad as it gets. But from the handlebars back it looks pretty good. When - not if - Honda comes out with a true reverse trike, I think Spyder sales will plummet. Hondas are just too reliable, Spyders not so much.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

There is a company, I believe in Holland, that make a Goldwing trike kit. It is a Sturgis Kit and base cost is about $8,500. Much better looking. An independent shop here, American Cycle and Trike, sells and installs them. The kit is only for the 1800 Wing. I am very tempted as I already own a wing that I am comfortable with. Reliable and never been a problem in the 10 years I have owned it. The cost to have American do the conversion is $2,500. So, for about $12,000 I can convert my wing to a spyder-looking trike and have the reliability and performance of the wing. Tempting. If the Spyder pukes enough to get me riled, there is an alternative.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    That front end is about as bad as it gets. But from the handlebars back it looks pretty good. When - not if - Honda comes out with a true reverse trike, I think Spyder sales will plummet. Hondas are just too reliable, Spyders not so much.
    I agree. If Honda builds a reverse trike based on the Goldwing it will only be a matter of time before Can Am closes the door on it's Spyder operation.

Spyder Garage

Default not

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    I agree. If Honda builds a reverse trike based on the Goldwing it will only be a matter of time before Can Am closes the door on it's Spyder operation.
    Never
    and they look like crap those goldwings

Spyder Garage

There is also Tilting Motor Works that mods a GW 1800. This one still tilts like a bike while the others are upright like the Spyder. I would have gone for one of these if I could have convinced them to mod a GW1500 but in the end it was cheaper to buy a used Spyder.

http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

Last edited by Eckhard; 05-28-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly...

Because they are readily recognized bikes it just looks like that bike pushing two wheels up front.. it needs to be a "from the ground up" vehicle to look right...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Reverse Trike

Yes you can see them at Americade. Roadsmith or Motortrike make them. I rode one last year at Americade and bought a Spyder this year.

Spyder Garage

Default sure, reliable

Say that to the guy in Ohio who just turned over 157,000 on his 2014RT-S
    Chuck

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Tilting Motor Works
    Hannigan
    Motor Trikes
    Sturgis Trikes (Holland)
    Endeavor

That's five I know of.

See my comments here from Wing Ding, 2016. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=wing+ding

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    Say that to the guy in Ohio who just turned over 157,000 on his 2014RT-S
    Chuck
    Not saying that ALL Spyders are not reliable, I am just speaking from personal experience. Mine has stranded me at least twice each year since I bought it. And there are plenty of others out there who have had similar experiences. Is this the norm? Probably not, Lots of folks get good reliable service and many miles out of their Spyders. I just happen to not be one of them.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Hannigan makes this.

Looks pretty good to me.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Looks pretty good to me.

It should at $9K for the kit, and you can easily drop another $5-$6K on options. Add in the $28K for a Wing with the semi auto tranny and presto! $41,000.00. And we think Spyders are expensive!! Steve, next time you're riding up Rt. 7, Hannigan has a dealer on Kent Road in Cornwall Bridge. My biggest worry with conversion kits is who warranties what?

Spyder Garage

It should at $9K for the kit, and you can easily drop another $5-$6K on options. Add in the $28K for a Wing with the semi auto tranny and presto! $41,000.00. And we think Spyders are expensive!! Steve, next time you're riding up Rt. 7, Hannigan has a dealer on Kent Road in Cornwall Bridge. My biggest worry with conversion kits is who warranties what?
    As I understand it, triking a GW voids the warranty.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The one in the first post is from Motor Trike. It's been called the 'coffin'! https://www.motortrike.com/trikeHonda1800ProwlerRT.aspx

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I absolutely agree. The "who's on first" scares the crap out of me with these complicated machines.
    And you're dead on regarding the price.

BUT........it still looks pretty attractive. If Honda goes the OEM route, I imagine the price will be more manageable.
    In my view, BRPs biggest problem is their dealer network, not the product.
    Most of BRPs dealers do not know how to treat customers with road machines. Most of them seem to be dealers who started out selling BRPs other lines, like the sleds and the pwcs. Those are all recreational vehicles. The standard for customer care is a lot different for a recreational toy used on occasional weekends than it is for a vehicle that may be required to get you back and forth to work everyday.
    Honda already has that bullet proof reputation and lots of experience with road vehicles.
    Danbury Power Sports sells Can Am atvs pwcs and sleds. I'm still surprised that BRP won't let them sell or service Spyders, especially considering the other nearby dealers have such crappy reputations.
    Vanderhall is supposed to be coming to the Indian dealer up in Brookfield. And don't forget Danbury HD. All are closer to me than Arctic Adventures.
    Makes you really appreciate how good we had it at Gargano's.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I absolutely agree. The "who's on first" scares the crap out of me with these complicated machines.
    And you're dead on regarding the price.

BUT........it still looks pretty attractive. If Honda goes the OEM route, I imagine the price will be more manageable.
    In my view, BRPs biggest problem is their dealer network, not the product.
    Most of BRPs dealers do not know how to treat customers with road machines. Most of them seem to be dealers who started out selling BRPs other lines, like the sleds and the pwcs. Those are all recreational vehicles. The standard for customer care is a lot different for a recreational toy used on occasional weekends than it is for a vehicle that may be required to get you back and forth to work everyday.
    Honda already has that bullet proof reputation and lots of experience with road vehicles.
    Danbury Power Sports sells Can Am atvs pwcs and sleds. I'm still surprised that BRP won't let them sell or service Spyders, especially considering the other nearby dealers have such crappy reputations.
    Vanderhall is supposed to be coming to the Indian dealer up in Brookfield. And don't forget Danbury HD. All are closer to me than Arctic Adventures.
    Makes you really appreciate how good we had it at Gargano's.
    You said it brother! Bob Jr. was a great guy, and a REALLY GREAT Spyder tech. To see him forced out of business in the way it was done was just wrong. A small family owned business since 1963 gone just like that. Poof.

Spyder Garage

I test drove one of the motortrikes at a GW event, IMO it was really poorly made and when the test drive was over, which was almost "just around the block" they didn't even ask me if I liked it or what I thought. IMO no one has to worry about them putting anyone out of business.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.