Thread: Fuel range

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel range

It's alway nice to get an idea how far you can go on a tank of fuel with a new vehicle. Also to see what the gauge shows near empty. So yesterday I ran the fuel down until there were no bars showing on the fuel gauge. That way for about 10 kms (6 mi.) See pic.

Low Fuel.jpg

The fuel pump lit up at 2 bars to go. I did see once a yellow banner roll down from the top of the left screen saying low fuel. The banner was down for about 5 seconds then rolled back up and gone. Not sure if that happens more then once.

I went 383.9 kms. Starting with a full tank. It took 24 liters to refill. The manual says it holds 27 liters. So about 3 liters left. For you metric challenged folks. That's about 3/4 gallon. I may have been able to go another 50 kms (30 mi). So to conclude. At about 430 kms (250 mi), I would be standing on the side of the road. Nice to know what the approximate limit is. It should get better.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the metric version.

Translation for the "non metrics."

1330 x 3: You should be able to go 200 miles before the refuel light goes on.

998 x 2: You should be able to go 150 miles before the refuel light goes on.

I don't push it these days. When the light goes on--its time to refuel.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING...YOUR FUEL MILEAGE MAY VARY.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have not had my 2018 rtl out much ,but on one trip it got 41 mpg Canadian.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

If I'm to believe the computer on my Spyder (see image below), I'm averaging at least 50 mpg! That said, I really wish BRP had included a gauge indicating miles remaining on the current tank. Even the Harley trike has that, I think.

Richard

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wahlrpwb1bxr4d5/main.jpg

2018 RT Limited
    Can-Am Driver Backrest
    Tricled Wide-Vu mirrors
    Spyderpops grips
    FOBO TPMS
    Lamonster Spyder Cuff
    Ram mount w/ X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRubin View Post
    If I'm to believe the computer on my Spyder (see image below), I'm averaging at least 50 mpg! That said, I really wish BRP had included a gauge indicating miles remaining on the current tank. Even the Harley trike has that, I think.

Richard

I agree that would be nice feature to have.

I see on your attached pic. That your avg. mpg is working. Mine shows nothing but zero. Is there something I am missing to make that work?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I see on your attached pic. That your avg. mpg is working. Mine shows nothing but zero. Is there something I am missing to make that work?
    Hrm.....maybe you're looking at one of the trip meters (A or B) and you've reset it? My pic is showing the main odometer reading -- the one you can't reset. I would make sure the tab that you're on shows "Total" rather than 'A' or 'B.' Does that help? If you're already on the Total tab, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Richard

2018 RT Limited
    Can-Am Driver Backrest
    Tricled Wide-Vu mirrors
    Spyderpops grips
    FOBO TPMS
    Lamonster Spyder Cuff
    Ram mount w/ X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Hrm.....maybe you're looking at one of the trip meters (A or B) and you've reset it? My pic is showing the main odometer reading -- the one you can't reset. I would make sure the tab that you're on shows "Total" rather than 'A' or 'B.' Does that help? If you're already on the Total tab, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Richard
    It's zero on A, B and Total.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It's zero on A, B and Total.
    Have you activated the trip gauges? On the 17's and earlier there is a pause/resume function. When it shows pause--its working--when it shows resume--its on pause.

Not sure how they work with the new gauge panel.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Have you activated the trip gauges? On the 17's and earlier there is a pause/resume function. When it shows pause--its working--when it shows resume--its on pause.

Not sure how they work with the new gauge panel.
    Everything else works. There isn't a pause or resume. It will display instant mileage while driving. Top speed. Average speed. Distance traveled. Time traveled. All work fine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Richard

I teally doubt you’re averaging 50 mpg.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Nice display on the 18s

But like the car avg displays usually optimistic on the avg displayed. Maybe the ECO really helps on the new models.

We Tracked three fillups this weekend on our jaunt - 520 miles logged with 14.35 gals prem and mid-grade burned. (including 4 gals non-ethanol). Just a little over 36 mpg actual but we were dealing with some wind and speeds around 68 most of the time. It is what it is...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Wow! Averaging 50mpg? Mmmmm not too sure about that, but again I see you’are averaging 27mph. That’s not pushing things at all.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Billy:
    My ryde is a 2017 F3-L; we're both in S. Ontario, so ryding conditions are likely fairly similar - although I do ryde winters in FL. I have been over 400 km (250 miles) on a tank several times, and never put much more than 25 L, or maybe 6-1/2 US gals. in when I refill. So, there is usually 2 or 3 L, maybe half a gallon still left, if the BRP tank volume is correct. My ryding style is pretty normal - often two-up, with a mix of country roads, rolling land, averaging around 90 km/h or 55 mph. I have never run dry, and don't really want to. I use only premium fuel 91-93 octane. My experience to date suggests that 400 km or 250 miles travel is a very reasonable expectation for the 1330 engine and tank in my F3-L. In a pinch, I would even be prepared to gamble that I could do 440 km or 275 miles. I look at my fuel gauge this way: it has 9 bars - I estimate that each bar safely represents 40 km or 25 miles worth of fuel, and still leaves me plenty of room to find my next fuel stop.
    Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Billy:
    My ryde is a 2017 F3-L; we're both in S. Ontario, so ryding conditions are likely fairly similar - although I do ryde winters in FL. I have been over 400 km (250 miles) on a tank several times, and never put much more than 25 L, or maybe 6-1/2 US gals. in when I refill. So, there is usually 2 or 3 L, maybe half a gallon still left, if the BRP tank volume is correct. My ryding style is pretty normal - often two-up, with a mix of country roads, rolling land, averaging around 90 km/h or 55 mph. I have never run dry, and don't really want to. I use only premium fuel 91-93 octane. My experience to date suggests that 400 km or 250 miles travel is a very reasonable expectation for the 1330 engine and tank in my F3-L. In a pinch, I would even be prepared to gamble that I could do 440 km or 275 miles. I look at my fuel gauge this way: it has 9 bars - I estimate that each bar safely represents 40 km or 25 miles worth of fuel, and still leaves me plenty of room to find my next fuel stop.
    Cheers.
    That's only my 3rd tank of fuel so it should get a little better. That would make it comparable to what your getting.

24 L / 383.9 kms X 100 = 6.25 L/100kms or 37.63 mpg (US Gallon) or 45.2 mpg (Imperial gallon) At this point I am happy with that.

As I said my average fuel mileage is always zero. My instant, the few times I looked, has been between the mid 5s and mid 6s. So the actual of 6.25 is very close.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Went for a 1259 km trip this weekend ,the wife and i on are 2018 RTL and buddy and his wife and there 2017 HD Ultra . At every fill up i would use at lest three more liters than he would .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Richard

i know this is an old thread, but i had a couple questions on the .jpg you posted.

-is the "total" screen the cumulative miles and cannot be reset? the manual says all 3 trip meters can be reset, confusing. or, is there another odometer which is the lifetime miles?

-is your maximum speed really 104mph? how was it?

thank you

ba
    2019 F3T , titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    i know this is an old thread, but i had a couple questions on the .jpg you posted.

-is the "total" screen the cumulative miles and cannot be reset? the manual says all 3 trip meters can be reset, confusing. or, is there another odometer which is the lifetime miles?

-is your maximum speed really 104mph? how was it?

thank you

ba
    The total screen can be reset but it does not reset the mileage. Just all the other data on the total screen.

2018 F3 LIMITED