Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What is the best way to by-pass the frunk lock?

After getting locked out this weekend I want to stop using the key for frunk access and seat access. I have attached 2 pics of the frunk lock. The cable pulls from the right to trip the lock open. What is the best/easyest way to run a cable and where to? Seen and heard diff ways. Just wanna make it as simple as possible. Thanks, Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

Go to gallery and latest album's and you will find one "alternative frunk release" I posted may help...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Bi-Pass

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    After getting locked out this weekend I want to stop using the key for frunk access and seat access. I have attached 2 pics of the frunk lock. The cable pulls from the right to trip the lock open. What is the best/easyest way to run a cable and where to? Seen and heard diff ways. Just wanna make it as simple as possible. Thanks, Mike
    I find this Thread of yours interesting - Gene answered this issue for you on His Thread on the 25th .....which you saw because YOU also POSTED on that Thread ..........Sooooo my question is - How many times do you need the Answer ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

I RAN MINE OUT THE L[DRIVERS] side and bent a hefty "L" in it and hid it in the back of the wheelhouse. lotsa pics out there. ride out and look at mine youre not that far away.

not pretty but fast and functional. by the way ,i kinda followed mikes advice
    2 years ago!
    Last edited by irvin48; 05-28-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

I removed the 2 panels at the top inside the frunk and saw where the original cable attaches and there is a small hole above where the stock one attaches that I attached a snap swivel and ran a coat hanger out to the lift side wheel. It was simple and works. I could not get the snap swivel to close so I need a slightly larger one that I will pick up tomorrow and use something better that a coat hanger. If I could get to where the stock cable attaches to the ignition switch and run it out the side that would be easy or I thought I had a choke cable in the garage (I don't) that would work too. I agree with whomever said nothing should be attached to the ignition as it is asking for trouble.
    Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I removed the 2 panels at the top inside the frunk and saw where the original cable attaches and there is a small hole above where the stock one attaches that I attached a snap swivel and ran a coat hanger out to the lift side wheel. It was simple and works. . I agree with whomever said nothing should be attached to the ignition as it is asking for trouble.
    Mike
    Did mine in similar fashion yesterday. What made it real easy was the pre-drilled hole above the stock lever attachment. Ran a coated wire down to the left inspection panel, attached a key ring, and DONE !! Probably 15 minutes.
    I had the seat release done another 15 minutes later. Fishing line attached then led the free end into the glove box on a key ring (thanks to another member's idea ), can't even see the line when the seat is down.

I also coated both locks with a silicone spray as a preventive measure.

BIG, BIG thanks to all who posted ideas and pics previously, they all helped my work be so much easier.
    Last edited by HayRog; 05-29-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My solution. Uses #14 solid copper wire.

Frunk release 1.jpg

Frunk release 3.jpg

Frunk release 2.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default It is to obvious

That is out in the open and an invitation for someone to pull on it. Just saying!!!!

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    That is out in the open and an invitation for someone to pull on it. Just saying!!!!
    How do you figure?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I find this Thread of yours interesting - Gene answered this issue for you on His Thread on the 25th .....which you saw because YOU also POSTED on that Thread ..........Sooooo my question is - How many times do you need the Answer ......... Mike
    sometimes I'm looking at so many diff posts I forget where I saw something, sorry, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

Frunk release 1.jpg

Frunk release 3.jpg

Frunk release 2.jpg
    How do you remove the center panel right above the lever in the top pic, I have removed both side panels, Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

how big of a job to run the cable to the glove box, maybe even using the original stock cable, Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

How do you figure?
    Hahaha.....maybe seaweed runs with his frunk lid open, Pete

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How do you remove the center panel right above the lever in the top pic, I have removed both side panels, Thanks, Mike
    The long side panels have to be loosened at the front so that the screw holding that center panel can be removed (it's hidden). Then there are two screws underneath the center panel and then the obvious ones at the mirror. Hope that helps.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FRUNK LOCK BY-PASS

Frunk release 1.jpg

Frunk release 3.jpg

Frunk release 2.jpg
    Pete - from these pics ...... it looks like - to get to the end of the wire so you can pull it .....the Frunk must already be open ....... if the Frunk is open why have this to open the Frunk .... ???? ...... if I'm missing something please explain ...............Thanks ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    The mods I made are not out in the open, I wouldn't think of doing them in that fashion. They're completely out of sight.

Spyder Garage

The long side panels have to be loosened at the front so that the screw holding that center panel can be removed (it's hidden). Then there are two screws underneath the center panel and then the obvious ones at the mirror. Hope that helps.
    Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default Hide the device!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    The mods I made are not out in the open, I wouldn't think of doing them in that fashion. They're completely out of sight.
    HayRog is correct!!
    It is best to conceal the device to open the frunk and/or even the seat if you do it also. Also by using a solid wire and having it rub against the Spyder body like
    shown in the 3rd picture is an invitation for scratching of the body. But do as you wish!

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Sooooo the other day while I was in the garage putting my BRP headset from an old helmet into a new helmet, I got to thinking "what-if" my frunk won't open or my seat either, someday?? I've been reading these threads and decided, even though I have had no issues with either, I made a cable-pull out of steel fishing leader with a swivel connected to the latch and a loop on the other end, that is just long enough so you can lift the back edge of the frunk lid to get a finger into the loop and pull and whala! it unlatches. For the seat, I used some safety-wire and twisted a key ring at one end and twisted it about 5" long, drilled a hole thru the plastic pan by the dipstick, ran the twisted wire thru that and secured it around the cable/spring mechanism and of coarse, you pull the front Rt. edge of the seat, grab the key ring and whala! it unlatches. Thanks for all the ideas, gang!!, My wife said that, I'm the only person she knows of, that worries about a problem that isn't a problem yet!! She walked off shaking her head muttering something. Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Pete - from these pics ...... it looks like - to get to the end of the wire so you can pull it .....the Frunk must already be open ....... if the Frunk is open why have this to open the Frunk .... ???? ...... if I'm missing something please explain ...............Thanks ....... Mike
    Sure. I was wondering about that, too, until Lew (Kaos) showed me his installation when I met up with him in central Utah last week. He showed me there's enough flex in that corner of the frunk lid to lift it up enough to reach the pull cord (he used cord). That's the part of this mod that had held me back for so long from doing it.

Some people (e.g. Chupaca) run it out to a place underneath the side panel but I couldn't see that would work on my RT (he has an RSS), so when Lew showed me how easy it is to access it under the corner of the frunk lid, that spurred me on. Well, that and the fact my wife's RT ignition switch broke and we couldn't open her seat or frunk...!

So, in response to the critics who assume for some reason I left the bitter end of the pull wire in plain sight...I didn't.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

how big of a job to run the cable to the glove box, maybe even using the original stock cable, Thanks, Mike
    I don't know. Probably a big job, which is why I didn't do it that way.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did mine in similar fashion yesterday. What made it real easy was the pre-drilled hole above the stock lever attachment. Ran a coated wire down to the left inspection panel, attached a key ring, and DONE !! Probably 15 minutes. I had the seat release done another 15 minutes later. Fishing line attached then led the free end into the glove box on a key ring (thanks to another member's idea ), can't even see the line when the seat is down. I also coated both locks with a silicone spray as a preventive measure. BIG, BIG thanks to all who posted ideas and pics previously, they all helped my work be so much easier.
    How about some pictures showing the way you did it? Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default OK Pete ..

DSCF8314.jpgDSCF8315.jpgDSCF8313.jpg

Frunk release.
    Pic 1 -- direction the wire takes from lever down to the inspection panel.
    pic 2 -- behind inspection panel, the key ring barely visible, attached by a mini clip.
    pic 3 -- how the wire attaches to the lever

To release frunk, open inspection panel and pull wire.

ignore the two pics below !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HayRog; 05-30-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Seat release
    DSCF8318.jpgDSCF8317.jpgDSCF8316.jpg

pic 1 -- end of fishing line, tied to a key ring, cinched by a white cable tie and dropped into bottom right corner of glove box. Hidden when lid and seat are down.
    pic 2 -- direction of fishing line from glove box and down through a hole I drilled to the left of the dip stick.
    pic 3 -- fishing line attached, knotted and knot fixed with superglue, to the seat release lever.

To release seat, remove line from glove box and bring in line with bottom front of seat -- pull to the right -- viola!!

don't know how two of those pics made it to the above post also -- pilot error
    Last edited by HayRog; 05-30-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seat release
    DSCF8318.jpgDSCF8317.jpgDSCF8316.jpg

pic 1 -- end of fishing line, tied to a key ring, cinched by a white cable tie and dropped into bottom right corner of glove box. Hidden when lid is down.
    pic 2 -- direction of fishing line from glove box and down through a hole I drilled to the left of the dip stick.
    pic 3 -- fishing line attached, knotted and knot fixed with superglue, to the seat release lever.

don't know how two of those pics made it to the above post also -- pilot error
    Nice job!
    2014 RTL Platinum