Thread: For you BRP

Spyder Garage

Default For you BRP

BRP, which of your engineer decided that putting the audio and USB cords in the frunk was a good idea?. How about in the glove compartment? Well, I did that.
    I used an extension and routed both to the glove box. So, I can put my small MP3 player in the glove box. Also, routed the BRP connect and spliced both micro and mini USB plug. Also ran short cord from the box to the front by the handle bar to plug to my 7" GPS and get the direction to the speakers. Not sure if anyone did this before, but I feel that'Audio 2.jpgAudio 1.jpgs the way it should have been done.

Spyder Garage

Agree with you that the glove box sure makes more sense as a destination to me; on the RT it's at least in the top case, slightly more logical than the frunk.

I wonder if the thinking was to make sure the device (phone, mp3 player, whatever) wasn't where you'd be tempted to fumble with it while in motion?
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    Agree with you that the glove box sure makes more sense as a destination to me; on the RT it's at least in the top case, slightly more logical than the frunk.

I wonder if the thinking was to make sure the device (phone, mp3 player, whatever) wasn't where you'd be tempted to fumble with it while in motion?
    Are you saying that the RT has those cables in the top box? Not in mine. I have a 2018 RT Limited and nothing in the glove box, the cables are in the frunk. That is why I ran the cables in there.
    Safety issue? well that's debatable. As far as I'm concerned, once I setup my MP3 player, I don't touch while riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mbenazeraf View Post
    I have a 2018 RT Limited and nothing in the glove box, the cables are in the frunk. That is why I ran the cables in there.
    Safety issue? well that's debatable. As far as I'm concerned, once I setup my MP3 player, I don't touch while riding.
    You say your cables are in your "frunk"? Mine are in my "Trunk"...
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP, which of your engineer decided that putting the audio and USB cords in the frunk was a good idea?. How about in the glove compartment? Well, I did that.
    I used an extension and routed both to the glove box. So, I can put my small MP3 player in the glove box. Also, routed the BRP connect and spliced both micro and mini USB plug. Also ran short cord from the box to the front by the handle bar to plug to my 7" GPS and get the direction to the speakers. Not sure if anyone did this before, but I feel that'Audio 2.jpgAudio 1.jpgs the way it should have been done.
    Maybe because they knew the glove-box could get too hot for electronic devices?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default To maybe reduce confusion.

When posting it is often helpful to know the model and year of the Spyder you are talking about. There can be differences. If you put that information in your signature. Then you do not have to remember to include that in the body of your post.

The location of the audio input is different depending on the model year of a RT.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    When posting it is often helpful to know the model and year of the Spyder you are talking about. There can be differences. If you put that information in your signature. Then you do not have to remember to include that in the body of your post.

The location of the audio input is different depending on the model year of a RT.
    May be I should do that. But yes, in my 2018 RT Limited, the cables are in the frunk. Very short too. As far as the heat in the glove box, I realized, soon enough, that the whole bike gets hot after a few miles of riding. Also, like Bhern suggested for not being able to fiddle with the equipment while riding, I call that "discipline". Set up your device and forget about it while riding. Period.

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done

Well done and a great solution for easy access. I would think they did as they did because of the size and amount of equipment one might connect to.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The glove box on the RT gets too hot for phones, but if you want to heat a burrito in it go for it. On the F3T/Ltd the hook ups are in the small box above the dash, not only does it get too hot, but it is barely large enough to fit an IPhone 8. On my RT I never got good reception if I had my phone in the front trunk, the rear trunk was fine.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MOVING THE CABLES

Hi, nice Mod ....I did this over a year ago ....But It didn't need an extension ...I just stripped out the proper wires from the Harness ....... Look at my Albums for the pics .........................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hi, nice Mod ....I did this over a year ago ....But It didn't need an extension ...I just stripped out the proper wires from the Harness ....... Look at my Albums for the pics .........................Mike
    I'm sure that was a good idea, however, I'm new at the Syder (former Goldwing) and don't have a wiring diagram, but it wasn't hard at all. Somehow, I don't see your album.

Spyder Garage

Default ALBUM

I'm sure that was a good idea, however, I'm new at the Syder (former Goldwing) and don't have a wiring diagram, but it wasn't hard at all. Somehow, I don't see your album.
    and Newbie .... Go to my Bio page and scroll down the left side , this is where Members have their Albums.... and when I stripped out those wires I didn't have/ use a diagram ... I just started at the plug and worked backwards thru the main harness ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    and Newbie .... Go to my Bio page and scroll down the left side , this is where Members have their Albums.... and when I stripped out those wires I didn't have/ use a diagram ... I just started at the plug and worked backwards thru the main harness ............ Mike
    I checked you bio and found a bunch of posts but nothing talking about wiring. May be I didn't look in the right place.

Spyder Garage

Default ALBUMS

I checked you bio and found a bunch of posts but nothing talking about wiring. May be I didn't look in the right place.
    Did you look at the Sirius XM photo's ............... If you are looking for pics of HOW I stripped out the harness ...I don't have any of those ...............Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 40Xshooter View Post
    You say your cables are in your "frunk"? Mine are in my "Trunk"...
    Perhaps it would be better understood if we adopted the British nomenclature for the storage units:

Bonnet for the front and boot for the rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Perhaps it would be better understood if we adopted the British nomenclature for the storage units:

Bonnet for the front and boot for the rear.
    ad to that the french word "panier" for the saddle bags. LOL

Spyder Garage

My bet they put it in the Frunk because some lawyers felt giving you physical access to your phone while connected to the Spyder gave BRP some liability.
    Putting it where you cannot access it while riding and they have no liability.

Same reason why on earlier models, you cannot use all the menu's on the dash while moving. e.g. like the iPod menus. You have to be stopped.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Heat

I really like that idea but it gets really hot in there for electronic gear.
    Had a digital tire gauge go bad in there Form best i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sadly I have to agree with Ann on this one. Seems to me it gets pretty hot in Texas and I think your phone will fry. Not too sure why you need it connected. I charge mine before I leave, put it in my jacket pocket, and it works all day long, sometimes 12 hour + ryde days. Music streams to my helmet, phone calls answered with a tap, and I can communicate with my wife on her motorcycle. I find those cords just get in the way.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The glove box on the RT gets too hot for phones, but if you want to heat a burrito in it go for it. On the F3T/Ltd the hook ups are in the small box above the dash, not only does it get too hot, but it is barely large enough to fit an IPhone 8. .
    I totally agree and would never put my phone in the glove box due to the excessive heat........ I'm glad to see they have addressed this issue in the new 2020's
    2015 RTS
    Replaced Catalytic Converter with Lamonster Pipe

Rivco Flag Holders
    Tricled wideview mirrors
    Garage door opener
    Zumo GPS
    Ultimate seat
    F4 windshield with vent
    Doc's belt damper
    Value Accessories RAM mount
    Baja Ron sway bar and Links

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the idea of what you've done, but mine gets too hot in the warmer months of the year. I put my mobile in there and after a about an hours ride the screen was all discolored and the phone cooked. Luckily it came back to life.
    2017 RTL , White