Spyder Garage

Default Very Low Battery and electrical noise

So ever since I put the speaker system on the spyder, if I forget to put it on the trickle charger, the battery will be dead in a few days...today it was so low the trickle charger gave a fault error, so after a bit of reading, I put it on the regular charger instead.

Almost immediately, the gremlins started appearing and it has never done this before:

--static through the speakers
    --dashboard lights came on
    --all the idiot lights would light up
    --electrical noise every 15-20 seconds from the gas tank area (the fuel pump trying to activate??? not sure???)

I pulled some fuses and the main relay to try to take care of the gremlins, but the electrical noise 15-20 seconds keeps going.

After charging for 20 minutes, the trickle charger has been able to take over and the "electrical noise" is still there every 15-20...I don't think it was there before when I remember to put it on the trickle charger.

What do you guys think?

Did I screw by not keeping the Spyder the trickle charger?

Thanks for your input
    Jeff
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye342 View Post
    So ever since I put the speaker system on the spyder, if I forget to put it on the trickle charger, the battery will be dead in a few days...today it was so low the trickle charger gave a fault error, so after a bit of reading, I put it on the regular charger instead.

Almost immediately, the gremlins started appearing and it has never done this before:

--static through the speakers
    --dashboard lights came on
    --all the idiot lights would light up
    --electrical noise every 15-20 seconds from the gas tank area (the fuel pump trying to activate??? not sure???)

I pulled some fuses and the main relay to try to take care of the gremlins, but the electrical noise 15-20 seconds keeps going.

After charging for 20 minutes, the trickle charger has been able to take over and the "electrical noise" is still there every 15-20...I don't think it was there before when I remember to put it on the trickle charger.

What do you guys think?

Did I screw by not keeping the Spyder the trickle charger?

Thanks for your input
    Jeff
    Not keeping on a trickle charger means nothing, many owners bever use them.. You've screwed up something in the electrical system.

Everything fine---->put in speaker system----->multiple problems with battery, lights, electrical noise, idiot lights ----->sort of diagnoses itself.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Low Battery

Just curious on your Spyder why a speaker system is draining the battery. Is it to big of a voltage draw? Charging issue? Maybe the problem is the speakers.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

disconnect the speakers and then see what happens.

What kind of speakers did you use?

What else did you take apart or disconnect?

Spyder Garage

you didn`t go this far into speaker replacement did you ? ( sorry , just kidding you a bit ! unless you really did go all out ! )

Spyder Garage

Default same as other folks

I was wondering about the hook-ups also , the speakers I do believe are not electrical connected per-say , they do have wires but just to carry the sound , { mill-amps in the sceme of things } could you have accidentally , put a screw into a wire jacket ,and exposed some wires to shorting out against the frame ? ... the battery going dead ? that is a puzzler , did you also install a radio with the speakers ? ( something is on the "always live " wire from the battery area , ( as in the nannie ) as I looked at other photos in another site , --------> did you also install 1 --- amplifier to boost sound or bass ?

Spyder Garage

As much of a pita it will be, I would go back in and retrack my steps to the install, check behind every screw you have to take out and check any pinch points for a short to the frame. You have something going to ground, or a battery going south on you. you should not have to put your bike on charge every time you put it up. If you didn't have this problem before the speakers that is what I would do. Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    . You've screwed up something in the electrical system.
    Check what you did last is excellent advice.
    But then there is Murphy's Law.
    (The testing you did during the install might have drained an already weak battery.)

You need to disconnect the battery, fully charge it and have it tested.
    If it is over 4 years old, it should be replaced......and charged before use.

Then the charging voltage needs to be checked while the engine is running.

A multi-meter is an essential tool for electrical troubles.

If you can't do the above yourself, take it to a Spyder shop.

Spyder Garage

How did you wire the speaker system for power and ground? The relays that power the bike may not have great contact and could be why your fuel pump was chattering and lights came on. Mine needed slight twists to the relay leg contacs recently, the power steering was out. You may be getting noise from that, or like many cars you may need to add a capacitor circuit to absorb electrical noise. Have you ever heard a cars acceleration over the speakers, you may have similar.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default For sure....

best test for any problem originating from some work having been done is to back track....Getting your battery charged and tested is a great first step.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black