Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

If I was to guess. The oil has never been changed or only once. I would change the oil and filters. Then do the next oil change early. Maybe around 2,000 miles. Check for metal on the magnet then. A few metal shavings is not a problem. Even a piece of a circlip can happen and should be ignored.

Since the maintenance is suspect. Call a dealer with your VIN and ask if there are any outstanding Safety Recalls. In particular I would be concerned if the DPS has not been replaced.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If I was to guess. The oil has never been changed or only once. I would change the oil and filters. Then do the next oil change early. Maybe around 2,000 miles. Check for metal on the magnet then. A few metal shavings is not a problem. Even a piece of a circlip can happen and should be ignored.

Since the maintenance is suspect. Call a dealer with your VIN and ask if there are any outstanding Safety Recalls. In particular I would be concerned if the DPS has not been replaced.
    My take too... Not the first time I have seen this on a Spyder in the first couple oil changes. Shawn Smoak says it from the clutch pack and is somewhat normal to see depending on assembly.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As stated earlier it wouldn’t hurt to do an oil analysis when you change it next time, this will tell you a lot about the condition of the engine internally. I would run it at least 1,000 miles before the next change. Probably only had the 600 mile break in service.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 05-27-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

anyways i filled it with fresh oil and new filter and just came back from 300 km trip not a single issue engine sounded great and tranny shifted good even neutral was sharp will ride it more for a few days and do the oil change then

Spyder Garage

UPDATE drove the spyder for a trip around 300 km which is aprox 200 miles, and decided to undo the drain plug see whats on it as i was riding hard for all these 300 km reving up max rpm on take off and in my opinion if there would be something very bad drains plug magnet would catch atleast one shaving, i think that might be an original oil there before

so i drained oil into new clean pan inspected it was clean and pour it back into reservoir, will try to ride for another 500 km then check again

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 09gs View Post
    UPDATE drove the spyder for a trip around 300 km which is aprox 200 miles, and decided to undo the drain plug see whats on it as i was riding hard for all these 300 km reving up max rpm on take off and in my opinion if there would be something very bad drains plug magnet would catch atleast one shaving, i think that might be an original oil there before

so i drained oil into new clean pan inspected it was clean and pour it back into reservoir, will try to ride for another 500 km then check again

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At the first break-in service on my 2015 there was that much shavings, or more, on the plug. The tech who did the change brought the plug out to show me, and said it was likely from the clutch plates. At 54,000 miles now (88,500 km), I've never had a problem from it.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl