Spyder Garage

Default 2008 Spyder gs Transmission Error message

I purchased an 08 Spyder GS SE 5 with 7000 miles on it in the middle of December of 2017, I have recently had it to an authorized dealer for an oil change and inspection. Everything checked out fine at time of service, I put on approximately 300 miles since with no issues, but today which is hot and humid in PA and was out in some stop and go traffic, rode about 15 miles from home, I was stopped at a traffic , went to go and the dash displayed Eg and check engine light came on with transmission error. Any suggestions would be appreciated ?
    2008 GS , custom Orange metal flake

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

Everything is working..? Try shutting her down pulling the key and letting the computers reset. If after that all the warnings are gone and don't come back it could be a glitch in the system from a missed shift etc. If still there or comes back could be the gear positioning sensor or the paddle shifter...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

That does happen. A shut off and reset usually takes care of the issue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Everything is working..? Try shutting her down pulling the key and letting the computers reset. If after that all the warnings are gone and don't come back it could be a glitch in the system from a missed shift etc. If still there or comes back could be the gear positioning sensor or the paddle shifter...
    ........ The BRP computer system is the MOST fussy one in the automotive arena ......... many FALSE positives so to speak ..... I ran my 08 GS with the DASH lit up like a Christmas tree for almost two years but it always started and ran fine ..... it could certainly be the case here ....good luck ..... Mike -

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post

Thank You very much

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ........ The BRP computer system is the MOST fussy one in the automotive arena ......... many FALSE positives so to speak ..... I ran my 08 GS with the DASH lit up like a Christmas tree for almost two years but it always started and ran fine ..... it could certainly be the case here ....good luck ..... Mike -
    Thanks very much Mike!

Spyder Garage

Default Several Things Do This

1) Electrical Noise. BRP put out a tech bulletin to ground the coil pack (on left side). The electrical noise can interfere with the TCS computer CANBUS communications, resulting in missed / wrong reading. This gets you stuck in some gear or the "E" on the dash. My GS has green 10AWG wire under the tupperware tying everything together that could be - coil, engine, frame, back to rear fender frame, etc.

2) Gearbox position sensor. HUGE pain to replace, I have a big thread about replacing mine here on the forums. This causes the transmission icon to light, stuck in gear, in WRONG gear (says 2nd but in neutral), etc. Mine was worn out, the center shaft flopped about. About $125 replacement, watch a couple videos on getting belt off by jacking up bike and removing rear shock bolt - instead of messing with alignment screws.

3) Stripped shift lever (rare but mentioned here on the forums)

4) Shifting solenoid not grounded and/or not fully engaging (showing wrong gear; trans light; etc.). Solenoid puts out a big wave of electrical noise. Very randomly could interfere (based on my reading).

5) I think there was a software update (2010??) when this was happening a lot. Would need to take to dealer to check software version.

If you are a DYI person and take off the tupperware on the left side, also check the torque on the front sprocket (16mm?). Should be 110ft/lbs. Mine was finger loose, never had the service bulletin work done! Manual says 95 ft/lbs, it comes loose and the bolt threads started wearing. I used blue locktite per many forums' recommendation. New bolt is like $10 from cheapcycleparts.com.

When my 2008 GS started down this road I was on all the forums researching!! Was getting tired of stopping every hour to pull key to get TCS computer to reset ...

GL!

Steve

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back in 08 & 09 they had a lot of GEAR POSITION SENSORS failures...I had replaced mine on my 08 way back then...

Try doing a search here on the forum...

BRP does not call it a GPS sensor...They have another name for it...which I don't remember now...

Spyder Garage

I had to replace mine too years ago. I think they call it the Gear Box Position Sensor - GBPS.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    1) Electrical Noise. BRP put out a tech bulletin to ground the coil pack (on left side). The electrical noise can interfere with the TCS computer CANBUS communications, resulting in missed / wrong reading. This gets you stuck in some gear or the "E" on the dash. My GS has green 10AWG wire under the tupperware tying everything together that could be - coil, engine, frame, back to rear fender frame, etc.

2) Gearbox position sensor. HUGE pain to replace, I have a big thread about replacing mine here on the forums. This causes the transmission icon to light, stuck in gear, in WRONG gear (says 2nd but in neutral), etc. Mine was worn out, the center shaft flopped about. About $125 replacement, watch a couple videos on getting belt off by jacking up bike and removing rear shock bolt - instead of messing with alignment screws.

3) Stripped shift lever (rare but mentioned here on the forums)

4) Shifting solenoid not grounded and/or not fully engaging (showing wrong gear; trans light; etc.). Solenoid puts out a big wave of electrical noise. Very randomly could interfere (based on my reading).

5) I think there was a software update (2010??) when this was happening a lot. Would need to take to dealer to check software version.

If you are a DYI person and take off the tupperware on the left side, also check the torque on the front sprocket (16mm?). Should be 110ft/lbs. Mine was finger loose, never had the service bulletin work done! Manual says 95 ft/lbs, it comes loose and the bolt threads started wearing. I used blue locktite per many forums' recommendation. New bolt is like $10 from cheapcycleparts.com.

When my 2008 GS started down this road I was on all the forums researching!! Was getting tired of stopping every hour to pull key to get TCS computer to reset ...

GL!

Steve
    Thanks very much for the info Steve

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Back in 08 & 09 they had a lot of GEAR POSITION SENSORS failures...I had replaced mine on my 08 way back then...

Try doing a search here on the forum...

BRP does not call it a GPS sensor...They have another name for it...which I don't remember now...
    Thank You