Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Installed - $$$$$ !!!

Strapped my rear tire over my passenger backrest today and went to my dealer to get it changed. Got there around 2:30pm. I knew I was in for a couple hour wait - so I took my netbook to entertain myself.

Well - they did a great job - got it done around 5:00. Had fun talking with the various people that work there, etc.

I knew they had to run the rim & tire to a local tire shop to get it swapped - so that added to the wait.

The only real shock was when the bill was ready......

Now realize that I had brought my own tire that I got from Rob's for $150 including shipping.

So - the total install cost came to----- and I'm embarassed to even tell you all what I paid.....

$204.00

Anyone have this done--- and what did you pay????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Strapped my rear tire over my passenger backrest today and went to my dealer to get it changed. Got there around 2:30pm. I knew I was in for a couple hour wait - so I took my netbook to entertain myself.

Well - they did a great job - got it done around 5:00. Had fun talking with the various people that work there, etc.

I knew they had to run the rim & tire to a local tire shop to get it swapped - so that added to the wait.

The only real shock was when the bill was ready......

Now realize that I had brought my own tire that I got from Rob's for $150 including shipping.

So - the total install cost came to----- and I'm embarassed to even tell you all what I paid.....

$204.00

Anyone have this done--- and what did you pay????
    Did you pay it? If so, will you adopt me? Actually, if I bring the wheel/tire in I pay about $30. Add an hour or so labor to that and it would be about $130 for removing it from the bike.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Well - yeah - I paid it. Was there another option I'm unaware of?

Sorry, but unless you look like Salma Hayek---- I'm not adopting!

Spyder Garage

That's where they have us between a rock and a hard place. Taking a back wheel off and replacing a tire, etc., is time consuming and at nearly $100/hr. the pocket book gets slammed. Would be nice for some engineer to come up with an easier way to remove the back wheel, then all we would have to do is bring it to a tire shop, then back home for a quick install back on the Spyder. Oh, well, I can dream!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    That's where they have us between a rock and a hard place. Taking a back wheel off and replacing a tire, etc., is time consuming and at nearly $100/hr. the pocket book gets slammed. Would be nice for some engineer to come up with an easier way to remove the back wheel, then all we would have to do is bring it to a tire shop, then back home for a quick install back on the Spyder. Oh, well, I can dream!
    My shop is $89 per hour and they had $25 in 'parts'.

I'll do the fronts myself for sure - just didn't want to mess with the belt this time.

Spyder Garage

on my third tire with 5400 miles on had a bf g force that did ok, realized halfway thru that you have to run around 35 psi in it instead of the 41 psi, got a Hankook Ventus R-S2 and am going to try that. was wondering if anyone has tried going with a narrower tire, the shipping invoice said it weighted 23 lbs with is damn heavy for a motorcyle tire and I know this not a bike but stay on track with me, what about running a 205 or 215 tire less mass faster speed, just I idea to get a little more out of it.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Speaking of tires.... Hey Lamonster how's your new tire doing?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    on my third tire with 5400 miles on had a bf g force that did ok, realized halfway thru that you have to run around 35 psi in it instead of the 41 psi, got a Hankook Ventus R-S2 and am going to try that. was wondering if anyone has tried going with a narrower tire, the shipping invoice said it weighted 23 lbs with is damn heavy for a motorcyle tire and I know this not a bike but stay on track with me, what about running a 205 or 215 tire less mass faster speed, just I idea to get a little more out of it.
    Did you change them yourself or have your dealer do it?

If the dealer - how much did they charge?

I'm sticking with OEM tires for the Spyder - don't want to mess up the VSS playing around with much higher tire pressures that other tires seem to require. The OEM has softer sidewalls - and I trust the BRP folks did that for a reason.

Really interested to know what others are paying for the labor to change the rear???

Spyder Garage

I think we paid between $120 and $150 to have the rear tire replaced with our own tire. He charged us the same labor as if we bought the tire from them. Also, our service guy liked the Kumho tire and figured it would work well on the Spyder. With about 4,000 miles on the Kumho, I've been happy with it in both wet and dry road conditions. I can't tell any "seat of the pants" difference in the Spyder's handling between the two tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took kumho tire in and dealer charged me 95 or 85
    245 total with oem tire if I wanted
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Any way one looks at it, maintenance on a Spyder gets my head rolling add the tyre change anyone who is not handy gets f#@%* ever so often.
    Problem with Capitalism is you use up other peoples money, than cry for more handouts.
    ME

Spyder Garage

I'm starting to wonder if they kept the time clock ticking while their 'runner' went down the road to the local tire shop and had it mounted. I don't think THAT part of the service should be billed at $89/hour!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    ... Sorry, but unless you look like Salma Hayek---- I'm not adopting!
    This is me last Halloween. How about now?

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Rob's didn't give you any deal. $150 is the MSRP. You can get 20% off list price with no shipping and no sales tax in most states, online at shopxps.com This would be $120. I buy a lot of stuff from them. They are good and reasonably fast.

I was the first one to get any kind of tire put on a Spyder at my dealer. Aside from the tire, they charged me one hour labor to mount, balance, and install the rear tire. One hour is three times the labor for any other motorcycle at the dealership including a Gold Wing. For everyone else, they charge 20 minuets for front or back. I don't think they can do a rear tire on a Spyder in 20 minuets, so I am not too unhappy with one hour. For the second rear tire, I went else where and paid more, but I had the wheel bearings, etc. replaced at the same time. My second rear tire was an automotive tire. I had my Harley mechanic do the work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    Rob's didn't give you any deal. $150 is the MSRP. You can get 20% off list price with no shipping and no sales tax in most states, online at shopxps.com This would be $120. I buy a lot of stuff from them. They are good and reasonably fast.

I was the first one to get any kind of tire put on a Spyder at my dealer. Aside from the tire, they charged me one hour labor to mount, balance, and install the rear tire. One hour is three times the labor for any other motorcycle at the dealership including a Gold Wing. For everyone else, they charge 20 minuets for front or back. I don't think they can do a rear tire on a Spyder in 20 minuets, so I am not too unhappy with one hour. For the second rear tire, I went else where and paid more, but I had the wheel bearings, etc. replaced at the same time. My second rear tire was an automotive tire. I had my Harley mechanic do the work.

I have no problem with $150 delivered. Robs stocks them and I got it in 24 hours.

My dealer ordered one for me and they are on backorder for a month - so unless your xps place stocks them - they wouldn't have been able to helpe me.

I checked pricing on your XPS site and they want $ 176.99 for a rear tire !

I'm loyal to companies that take care of me - that is more important than price. Robs has been great and gives me 10% just like my local dealer does. I would order more from my local dealer, but they just don't stock Spyder stuff - only order when the customer asks for it. Tires should be a no-brainer.

I'll have my next rear tire (which is on backorder from my local dealer) installed by the dealer because I'll be due for rear bearings by then.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    This is me last Halloween. How about now?

I'm sure you would get to ride bitch to Leno's garage looking like that!!
    fog lights, 4" risers, ISO grips, mud flap lights, 12v trunk accessory, zombie foot and passenger pegs, F1 slider windshield, cup holder, throttle boss

Spyder Garage

I took in my rear tire to the dealer. I brought with me the tire, I got from the tire rack. The dealer mounted and balance it and charged 1/2 hour labor. I think you where charged for travel time to and from the other shop. That's BullSh!!!!! Next time you take it to the other shop to have it mounted. The bring it to the dealer and have them balance it. Or balance it your self with that Green Slim sealant for tubeless tires. And then send me the money you saved.
    Steve

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I changed my own tire. Bought Kumho performance tire and mounted it at my work. I work for a ford dealership. Belt not a problem. I actually used a fish scale to measure tension of belt. Pulled down with scale to 20 lbs. while measuring the lenght with ruler. 20lbs = 3/4 inch put it back same way adjusted to center belt and works great.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Well........
    I just returned from my dealer to schedule the 6,000 mile service, and asked about a New Rear Tire in as I am planning on the trip to LA.
    The man said " Cost of tire is $ 198, but I will let you have it for $ 145." I then asked " how much for installation ? He replied " Due to the time for Removal, and replacement, and re-synk of the electronics, the Labor will run $ 330.00 but that includes tax for tire etc or a total of $ 475 " . I just about s..... in my britches.
    However, since I have pre-paid my service to include the 6,000 service, I scheduled to have them to the service.
    But, if they think I am going to pay them $ 475 for a tire and the installation of the tire, they have some thoughts comming.
    No way do I see the exchange of the tire having any effect on the electronics of the spyder. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a bunch of baloney to me. Our dealer charged 1 or 1.5 hours labor to install a tire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Well........
    I just returned from my dealer to schedule the 6,000 mile service, and asked about a New Rear Tire in as I am planning on the trip to LA.
    The man said " Cost of tire is $ 198, but I will let you have it for $ 145." I then asked " how much for installation ? He replied " Due to the time for Removal, and replacement, and re-synk of the electronics, the Labor will run $ 330.00 but that includes tax for tire etc or a total of $ 475 " . I just about s..... in my britches.
    However, since I have pre-paid my service to include the 6,000 service, I scheduled to have them to the service.
    But, if they think I am going to pay them $ 475 for a tire and the installation of the tire, they have some thoughts comming.
    No way do I see the exchange of the tire having any effect on the electronics of the spyder. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

I'm no whiz in doing mechanical stuff... I can do it but I tend to be slow... to enjoy it... and even I can remove and re-install the rear tire in less than one hour. That's $95 labor at my dealer.

And, you're right... there's no re-sync'ing of any thing electronic for a tire change.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

picked up 2 of 3 tires Sat. We will install as Clawsons wanted almost $400...and my tires would be the first set they installed. Clawsons had an advertised special, $40 per tire installation for Sat. only. The parts dept said I should take advantage??? Service dept. said it was for bikes only, exclude the Spyder...even if I just got the front wheels changed!
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post

I'm no whiz in doing mechanical stuff... I can do it but I tend to be slow... to enjoy it... and even I can remove and re-install the rear tire in less than one hour. That's $95 labor at my dealer.

And, you're right... there's no re-sync'ing of any thing electronic for a tire change.
    thank you... I could not visualize the electronics being involved, unless they lost my Magnets for the McCruise Control, but that would have nothing to do with the spyder's electronics.

Spyder Garage

Shouldn't be any electronics invloved - unless they bumb something they shouldn't!

Getting the belt correct would be the most difficult part I believe.

Mine was the first for my dealership too.

I'll do the fronts myself for sure. The rear I would be more apt to do when it's not nice outside -

BRP has a set time that dealers are supposed to charge for various things - as a guideline - and the dealer can charge whatever per hour. My shop has at least 10 techs - probably more - but only one has been to Spyder School.

Spyder Garage

My last rear wheel tire change quote was $75 (labor only). Quote was from a Spyder dealer.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS