Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Bad Day For Big Red

Wife an I were out enjoying her first ride of the season the day was absolutely beautiful. We were on a way and just got off the main roads on to the secondary when I slowed down to cross the railroad tracks. When I went accelerate just a horrible grinding noise and no forward motion, I pulled to the side of the road the bike will go into 1st and Reverse but only grinds and will not move.

Call Roadside assistance, at first I was like wow they are on and THEN it went south I was told BRB would cover up to $200.00 any overages would be on me the nearest dealer to me is 33 miles, so BRP covers the $200.00 then I was told I was on the hook for $117.00. Not a happy camper at this point but it is what it is. And THEN, I get a call from Roadside saying that company would not be able to get the bike until morning, I told her that was unacceptable as the bike would most likely not be be there when we returned in the morning. She says she will call be back, and she did and then said they can not find a company that can tow the bike, now mind you I don't live in the middle of the sticks where there may only be on towing company, I say to the girl what do you mean you can not find anybody, she says has called everybody on the list that they contract with and nobody can do it and that she is now on a secondary list and will call me back. She calls back and say she has found someone and they would be calling me, the guy calls me and say he was on his way with a 5x7 trailer at this point I lose my freaking mind and told him to not bother and I call back Roadside, I tell the agent first you find a towing company that is charging you $200 and then me $117.00 plus tax to go 33 miles and then they can't come till tomorrow morning and then you get a guy that is going to bring a 5x7 trailer? I then told her I would take care of it myself after waiting two hours on them, I made one call got the bike towed with a towing company for $149.00.

Now we have to and see what is wrong with the bike? no fluid leaking, no prior warning just as I said slowed to cross Railroad track and that was then end of the day. The bike is a 2016 RTL with 1642 miles on it, hopefully it won't stay in the hospital all summer.
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 05-24-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

might be that dreaded front sprocket
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Just found it in the search, that sounds exactly like what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    might be that dreaded front sprocket
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 05-24-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

normally associated with the F3
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    normally associated with the F3
    Please don't say that. Just bought a 2018 F3L, one week old!
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

BRP Roadside Assistance is a bust, I had a similar experience with them a long time ago. AAA was not any better and my insurer, Progressive, will only tow 14 miles.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear...

Quite an ordeal on the transportation side. Glad you found some one and hope BRP will re-emburse you as it is under $200. As for big reds dilema...one side or the other..the front pulley on your left or the clutch package on the right. The only other thing could be that the linkage is loose or stripped and it is not engaging the gears fully... Let us know what they or you find out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    BRP Roadside Assistance is a bust, I had a similar experience with them a long time ago. AAA was not any better and my insurer, Progressive, will only tow 14 miles.
    I agree BRP roadside assistance is a joke. But what is interesting is that my Progressive insurance has covered tows of up to 50 miles with no problem - other than long wait times.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear & hope will work out. Gotta suggest joining AMA as they also offer roadside. Straight from their sight:
    AMA Roadside Assistance: AMA Roadside Assistance covers all of the vehicles in your household including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and trailers. All family members living in your household are covered. Services include towing, lock-out, dead battery, flat tire, fluid delivery and mobile mechanic. Towing services include up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility or to any other location of equal distance at no expense.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default chasinsparks ....

man what an ordeal , so sorry you had a crap end too what could have been a pleasurable evening ride to end it all .... so with this , I say " it is the fuse " it beats the big dollar things that it might be , the shift fuse is 20 cents ( o,kay there is no shift fuse but if there was or is , man I hope your findings on the cycle is not a total horror story ) hoping for a better out come --- youngers

Spyder Garage

Default Geico

Found out this morning Geico will Tow it 22 miles, which would have saved me a few dollars. Kind of funny I was just on the night before asking for opinions on enclosed cargo trailers and got just enough information to make the wife think I know what I'm talking about, if I went and bought one yesterday I could have put it to use and hit her with see I told it was a good idea to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

Spyder Garage

Will do. Glad it happened when it did and not when we were on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Quite an ordeal on the transportation side. Glad you found some one and hope BRP will re-emburse you as it is under $200. As for big reds dilema...one side or the other..the front pulley on your left or the clutch package on the right. The only other thing could be that the linkage is loose or stripped and it is not engaging the gears fully... Let us know what they or you find out...

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info will be looking into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Sorry to hear & hope will work out. Gotta suggest joining AMA as they also offer roadside. Straight from their sight:
    AMA Roadside Assistance: AMA Roadside Assistance covers all of the vehicles in your household including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and trailers. All family members living in your household are covered. Services include towing, lock-out, dead battery, flat tire, fluid delivery and mobile mechanic. Towing services include up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility or to any other location of equal distance at no expense.

Spyder Garage

Default Video

Here is a short video if anybody is curious as to what this sounds like if it happens to you. https://youtu.be/tWo5I1IvFps

Spyder Garage

Wow, this is the thread that has me looking into AMA too. Being stranded is no fun at all.

Good luck with your bike! Hopefully it's not too bad.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I have AMA and have used it twice. They have been courteous both times knowledgeable and fast and always send a flat bed on a motorcycle call. It is part of my membership. Even if you don't need it for the roadside service,get the membership for the other things they provide. All rides need to be AMA members IMO.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Motor Club

I have motor club and I get a discount because I have Allstate, so it is $85 a year, although I think anyone can get that price if you just negotiate. They sent out a guy to change a flat because I was unable to do it and he just said "have a nice day" and drove off without me even signing anything. After the same kind of run-around my brother-in-law had with his company and a flat, I called motor club and they pay up to $200 but said on average that is 63 miles of tow. I have this extra policy because they cover my trailer, my boat and my motorcycle. This also includes free lock-out service, 2 gallons of gasoline (you can pay for extra) and a few other things I can't remember. My Mom has used the free lock-out service twice in the last year alone and around here that is $75 each time. So cheap peace of mind.

Spyder Garage

That sound video has an ugly sound that I hope to never hear in person. Please post what the problem is so we can relate the noise to the actual issue. Thanks.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have AMA and have used it twice. They have been courteous both times knowledgeable and fast and always send a flat bed on a motorcycle call. It is part of my membership. Even if you don't need it for the roadside service,get the membership for the other things they provide. All rides need to be AMA members IMO.
    Another organization worth looking into ABATE a national "club" http://www.abateoflouisiana.org/tablet/index.html that helps keep laws more biker friendly & offers some good life insurance to its members

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post

AMA is the way to go if you have any vehicles

Member for many years.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Default Will do

Dealer says they will get into it on Tuesday, will post an update.

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    That sound video has an ugly sound that I hope to never hear in person. Please post what the problem is so we can relate the noise to the actual issue. Thanks.....

Spyder Garage

Default the video

ohhhhhh yeah ! that is a sick feeling at the thought of that sound , it sure sounds like the inner splines of the tranny not catching ! { that defiantly isn`t a fuse loose } here comes the big question , how bad will the shop kill you on the bill ? I have a feeling it is going to be not so great ... let us know if you do not mind ...
    Last edited by youngers; 05-27-2018 at 06:38 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default a couple others

https://youtu.be/uzdMfnaSfsw <---- 990 spyder-------------------> https://youtu.be/Gw3vOjsuJTg clutch replacement

Spyder Garage

those couple of videos , one of the noise , and one of the parts , give you some idea what is about too unfold for you at the dealer ship or service department ( hope they can do it reasonable ) how good in the ---- hand tool area are you your self ?

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Drive Line Noise

Diffintely a noise you don't need. PLEASE let me know how it goes. Good Luck.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue