Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ignition switch 'jammed' .. key won't turn

While on a trip today, we stopped for lunch. Jane opened the frunk and put her gear away (jacket and gloves). With the key still in the ignition she attempted to open the seat, but the key would not go far enough in to engage the seat latch cam / cable. It would only go far enough to switch on the ignition. She tried several more times to open the seat but the key would not go far enough in to do so.

At that point, she turned the key to the 'off' position and removed it. But the dashboard stayed lit. I tried to to turn the key on and off, but this time the key would not turn in the ignition position either. The key will go in and out of the ignition switch okay, but will not turn and will not push in all the way to open the trunk or seat.

I've tried everything I can think of. WD-40, compressed air, graphite. Nothing allows me to turn the key. The worst part is the switch itself is jammed to the ignition on position, even though the key tumbler is straight up and down in the off position. So, I have no way to turn the ignition off and I can't get into the frunk to disconnect the battery (so it won't drain down; all my lights are on).

Any suggestions to;
    • open the frunk (no I didn't have the forethought to install one of those emergency release cables)
    • get at the key mechanism so I can either figure out why it's jammed or replace it with a new one?

Cognac ignition jammed.jpg

Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You might try to find finless bob's video on how to install the Tri-Axis bars as I know it addressed removing the ignition switch as part of the job. It sounds like you've a tumbler or two jammed and that jamming may be the result of turning the key slightly one way or the other without it being fully into the switch. Do you have a B.E.S.T. extended warranty?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    You might try to find finless bob's video on how to install the Tri-Axis bars as I know it addressed removing the ignition switch as part of the job. It sounds like you've a tumbler or two jammed and that jamming may be the result of turning the key slightly one way or the other without it being fully into the switch. Do you have a B.E.S.T. extended warranty?
    I have the extended warranty that Pitbull sells, so not sure if it will cover this problem. I'm hoping I can figure it out myself, but if it's a failed switch (I understand the early '14 RTs had a recall on some) then I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer and hope for the best. Thanks.

2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Your set of two keys came with a small plastic tag with a number on it. If you still have you dealer can tell from the number if your switch was one of the problem ones. I would think a key problem would be covered by B.E.S.T. warranty but am not certain. Worth checking as ignition switch plus key reprogramming would be more than the deductible.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

This might be weird but it's worth a shot ...... Similar thing happened to me , I was in panic mode, key was jammed , I actually just turned the wheels in harder turn and the key released ........

2016 RT-S Pearl White

BRP Driver Backrest
    Lamonster Spyderdock, (2) Spydercuffs
    Magic Mirror w/Doc Humphreys tethers
    (2) Rokform phone mounts
    FOBO
    SpyderPops Bumpskid,missing belt guard,Rear strobe LEDs
    Lamonster LED headlights & foglights
    Spyder Pockets
    LED front fender kit -running & turn signals
    Custom Back off mudflap
    Vinyl nameplate & 1330 triple decals by New Image Signs
    Custom RLS exhaust
    Hogtunes speakers 5 1/4 front and back
    Memphis Powersports Amp
    Her name is "Purl"
    2016 RT-S , white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kredab View Post
    This might be weird but it's worth a shot ...... Similar thing happened to me , I was in panic mode, key was jammed , I actually just turned the wheels in harder turn and the key released ........
    Thanks. The key actually will go in and out of the ignition switch quite readily. It's just that once it is it won't turn in either direction.

Are you saying that when your key jammed, the wheels were in normal driving position and to release the key you turned the handlebars hard left or right? Worth a try although I can't quite visualize what that is doing mechanically with the ignition switch.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thanks. The key actually will go in and out of the ignition switch quite readily. It's just that once it is it won't turn in either direction.

Are you saying that when your key jammed, the wheels were in normal driving position and to release the key you turned the handlebars hard left or right? Worth a try although I can't quite visualize what that is doing mechanically with the ignition switch.
    Okay, I tried this and it didn't help. But thanks for the suggestion.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While on a trip today, we stopped for lunch. Jane opened the frunk and put her gear away (jacket and gloves). With the key still in the ignition she attempted to open the seat, but the key would not go far enough in to engage the seat latch cam / cable. It would only go far enough to switch on the ignition. She tried several more times to open the seat but the key would not go far enough in to do so.

At that point, she turned the key to the 'off' position and removed it. But the dashboard stayed lit. I tried to to turn the key on and off, but this time the key would not turn in the ignition position either. The key will go in and out of the ignition switch okay, but will not turn and will not push in all the way to open the trunk or seat.

I've tried everything I can think of. WD-40, compressed air, graphite. Nothing allows me to turn the key. The worst part is the switch itself is jammed to the ignition on position, even though the key tumbler is straight up and down in the off position. So, I have no way to turn the ignition off and I can't get into the frunk to disconnect the battery (so it won't drain down; all my lights are on).

Any suggestions to;
    • open the frunk (no I didn't have the forethought to install one of those emergency release cables)
    • get at the key mechanism so I can either figure out why it's jammed or replace it with a new one?

Cognac ignition jammed.jpg

Thanks.
    Sorry I'm not sure how to help, but what did come to mind is the key holder thing on your key. Maybe it is preventing the key from going all the way down into the chamber, and not letting the pins move/release. I know I had a hand made key holder made out of leather that did not allow the key to go all the way in, and had to trim some off. Good luck either way.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IGNITION JAMMED

I feel your pain , and I'm sorry I can't help with your currant issue ........... Your problem is a perfect example of why I have mechanical PULL wires connected to my Frunk & Seat latches ..... Asking the ignition switch to do more than make the Electrical connection makes NO sense to me ...... If you want more info let me know ..... it was easy to do .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I feel your pain , and I'm sorry I can't help with your currant issue ........... Your problem is a perfect example of why I have mechanical PULL wires connected to my Frunk & Seat latches ..... Asking the ignition switch to do more than make the Electrical connection makes NO sense to me ...... If you want more info let me know ..... it was easy to do .... Mike
    Lew (kaos) showed me his and I'll definitely add those once I can open the frunk and seat!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That’s a good suggestion to ditch the key holder.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FRUNK AND SEAT LATCHES

Lew (kaos) showed me his and I'll definitely add those once I can open the frunk and seat!
    I have Un-latched both of them in emergencies - not easy , but it can be done without damaging anything ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Sorry I'm not sure how to help, but what did come to mind is the key holder thing on your key. Maybe it is preventing the key from going all the way down into the chamber, and not letting the pins move/release. I know I had a hand made key holder made out of leather that did not allow the key to go all the way in, and had to trim some off. Good luck either way.
    I appreciate the suggestion, but that's not it. There is adequate clearance for the key to enter the ignition switch fully without interference. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could try some WD-40
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kredab View Post

Think they are describing as if the bars were turned into the fork lock position at one point. If the lock was on there may be enough force on pin to prevent the key from turning hope that is all it really is

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Alas seems your key switch is bad. Some 2014's this was a known issue. Dealer time and I think they will have to rekey the trunk too.
    Make sure they give you the new trailer key barrel incase you ever buy a trailer.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Alas seems your key switch is bad. Some 2014's this was a known issue. Dealer time and I think they will have to rekey the trunk too.
    Make sure they give you the new trailer key barrel incase you ever buy a trailer.

Bob
    It sure seems that way, Bob. Headed over there this morning.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    You could try some WD-40
    He tried that.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Spyder Garage

Good luck Pete. maybe yours will be one of the recall switches and they will do it under the recall.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Mike

I would appreciate you showing or explaining what you did for the Pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay, last night I was concerned that I couldn't access the battery compartment to put a tender on the battery and with being unable to switch off the lights, the battery was going to be dead by morning.

More out of frustration than anything else, I took the mallet I'd been using to tap on the switch housing (in the hopes of loosening up the tumblers if that was the problem) and beat down on the key. Voila! It went in far enough as to engage the frunk latch release and I was able to hook up the battery charger. Then, it occurred to me the lights had gone off; the mechanism had become unjammed and the switch had returned to the 'off' position!

I tested it a few times and the key did turn the ignition on and off just like normal. Depressed the key and it opened the frunk and the seat - even easier than it had ever done before!

So, for now, the bike is back to being fully operational and I don't need to rush into an expensive repair (although I'll definitely replace the switch before any long trips).

In the Navy, we used to jokingly say, when confronted with an obstinate piece of electronic equipment that wasn't yielding to normal troubleshooting; "you're not using a big enough hammer". Never thought for a moment it might have some merit!

So, when all else fails 'use a bigger hammer'
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Lends new meaning to the old DOS command of "hit any key to continue". Glad it worked for you. Now before it quits working again add those emergency releases for seat and frunk

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Lends new meaning to the old DOS command of "hit any key to continue". Glad it worked for you. Now before it quits working again add those emergency releases for seat and frunk
    Yep, that project has now moved to the top of my priority list for BOTH bikes!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sounds like I should start carrying a hammer! I've already installed a manual cable release for the frunk after having locked the key in the frunk 35 miles from home. Wife left her key at home. Luckily we have good friends.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LJspydee View Post
    Sounds like I should start carrying a hammer! I've already installed a manual cable release for the frunk after having locked the key in the frunk 35 miles from home. Wife left her key at home. Luckily we have good friends.
    I'm thinking I can never have enough tools!
    2014 RTL Platinum