Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Big Hickups after 600 mi. Service

howdy ya-all! Well, I've had my new 2008 silver & black se5 Spyder a little over a week. We took it in for the 600 mile service and to have some of the accessories installed on Tuesday, 5-26-09. On 5-28-09 we got to the dealer just before closing time of 7p.m. to pick up the Spyder. The young mechanic that had been working on it for 2 days had to leave so another mechanic had to finish it and bring it out. Today, 5-29-09 when I went to back it out of the garage, I hit the starter button and nothing! So I fooled with all the buttons & switches, footbrake, park brake, hit the high/low beam, pulled the key in & out & even tooted the horn several times, & then it started right up! I got ready to go show the Spyder to my friend across town, bs'd with him awhile, got ready to leave, hit the starter button and nothing! I fooled around with everything again, hit the starter button & she started right up! Figured I better take it back to the dealer & have them check it out. The service guy said he was busy & couldn't get to it until next week & I could leave it if I wanted to. I told him I live 50 mi. away! So he decided to check it out & he hit the starter button & nothing! He was trying to get it started when the young mechanic that had done the service & installed fog light, 12 volt cigarette lighter & a few other accessories walked by the service writer asked him what he thought & he just shruged his shoulders & said he don't know. Then the darn thing started right up 6-8 times in a row! I was headed home & stopped at the harley shop to talk to some guys, and went to leave, hit the starter button & nothing! After fooling with it again it started. Also noticed the trip meter & clock were not working right, then it stopped down shifting, "auto trans"& banging as it did after it down shifted & the engine just stopped. Luckily, it started right up again. We were wondering if when the mechanic installed the fog light & 12 volt cigarette lighter if he knocked some wires loose or something?? None of these problems were there before he worked on our Spyder! Any one have any ideas??? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Don't get offended but I assume you hit the "m" button before you hit the starter right? It didn't read that way in your post so just checking the obvious.
    fog lights, 4" risers, ISO grips, mud flap lights, 12v trunk accessory, zombie foot and passenger pegs, F1 slider windshield, cup holder, throttle boss

Spyder Garage

Check your relays and your battery connections, (the real ones, not the jumpers under the seat. It's worth a try.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Check your relays and your battery connections, (the real ones, not the jumpers under the seat. It's worth a try.
    -Scotty
    +1 Plus check those connections under the seat also. If they attempted to loosen those underseat connections for some reason, they might not have tightened them up and those have a nut on the backside that is hard to get to. Don't loosen them or you could be adding to you problems but check to be sure they're tight.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of your input. I will make the dealer aware of your suggestions.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I tried the suggestions ya all gave me & checked the ground cable on the battery. It was snug but was able to get about another 1/2 turn. That seemed to fix the starting problem because it starts easier now. When I turn the key on, I hear a little whinning sound, like a small electric motor, so I figure thats the electric fuel pump or the abs pump. Going to take it out for a run now. C-ya Studybaker Bob.