Spyder Garage

Unhappy Oil Sprayed down Side Of Spyder RT, What Could Cause This?

Hi, I was riding to meet some friends and when I pulled up my 2014 Spyder RTSE was smoking and had oil sprayed all down the side of the body pannels. I checked the oil that morning before I rode and it was at the Maximum Mark. I had one of my riding friends drive their bike back home and bring their truck and trailer to tow my Spyder home, It's sitting in my garage. We looked underneath and the oil is comming out from behind the body pannels but we couldn't see exactly where it's starting from. Do any of you have any idea what could be wrong and have any suggestions? I'm terrified that this is going to be a major repair and costly. I only have 8,132 miles on it so I really don't understand why anything major would go wrong so soon. My Spyder has always used up more oil than any two wheel motorcycle I've owned. I've always had to add some oil after a 100+ mile ride. I have never put more oil in than needed in any motorcycle or car I've owned so even though I know it's possible, it just isn't likely. What's my next step and what do you all think?

Spyder Garage

Default duplicated...

Please see other thread you posted....remember if you post to the general and a specific forum it will appear twice. Post to the forum only and it will appear in the general automatically....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Please see other thread you posted....remember if you post to the general and a specific forum it will appear twice. Post to the forum only and it will appear in the general automatically....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL SPRAY

Quote Originally Posted by 1SpyderGal View Post
    Hi, I was riding to meet some friends and when I pulled up my 2014 Spyder RTSE was smoking and had oil sprayed all down the side of the body pannels. I checked the oil that morning before I rode and it was at the Maximum Mark. I had one of my riding friends drive their bike back home and bring their truck and trailer to tow my Spyder home, It's sitting in my garage. We looked underneath and the oil is comming out from behind the body pannels but we couldn't see exactly where it's starting from. Do any of you have any idea what could be wrong and have any suggestions? I'm terrified that this is going to be a major repair and costly. I only have 8,132 miles on it so I really don't understand why anything major would go wrong so soon. My Spyder has always used up more oil than any two wheel motorcycle I've owned. I've always had to add some oil after a 100+ mile ride. I have never put more oil in than needed in any motorcycle or car I've owned so even though I know it's possible, it just isn't likely. What's my next step and what do you all think?
    ....... This sounds like the OIL CAP wasn't on tight ............jmho .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Post to the forum only and it will appear in the general automatically....
    No it won't.

Spyder Garage

Did you have it recently serviced? Oil and filter change? If so, they could of not tightened the filter canister cap, cross-threaded it?? Maybe the oil cap/dip stick was not properly screwed down and/or tightened? Other than that, you might have to start pulling/removing panels. Mac P.S. A '14 RT with as low of miles as yours, should not be using oil every 100 miles.
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 05-24-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

If it's over filled it will spit oil out the fill tube. My buddy put 6 quarts in that came with the oil change kit. Made a huge mess. The 14 and up RT only needs 5 quarts. Do not know why BRP gives you 6. Make sure you are following oil check procedure. Warm up engine. Turn off. Let sit for 2 minutes. Then check oil.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    If it's over filled it will spit oil out the fill tube. My buddy put 6 quarts in that came with the oil change kit. Made a huge mess. The 14 and up RT only needs 5 quarts. Do not know why BRP gives you 6. Make sure you are following oil check procedure. Warm up engine. Turn off. Let sit for 2 minutes. Then check oil.
    My '14 always gets 6qts. when I change the filter and I have NEVER had oil blow out all over the place. I rev the heck out of it sometimes when I'm passing and when I've been pulling my trailer, still no oil anywhere and never had to add any even coming off a 5K mile trip thru western desert heat. I also make sure all caps/plugs are properly screwed down and tightened. Just sayin' Mac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    My '14 always gets 6qts. when I change the filter and I have NEVER had oil blow out all over the place. I rev the heck out of it sometimes when I'm passing and when I've been pulling my trailer, still no oil anywhere and never had to add any even coming off a 5K mile trip thru western desert heat. I also make sure all caps/plugs are properly screwed down and tightened. Just sayin' Mac
    The 1330 SE6 takes 5 quarts with filter. 5.2 quarts if you also change the transmission filter. Fortunately, you can get away with overfilling a dry sump engine as long as the reservoir can hold the overage. But it is not recommended.

1330a Oil Capicity.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 1330 SE6 takes 5 quarts with filter. 5.2 quarts if you also change the transmission filter. Fortunately, you can get away with overfilling a dry sump engine as long as the reservoir can hold the overage. But it is not recommended.

1330a Oil Capicity.jpg
    Ron, I will keep this in mind the next time I do an oil change. Even with 6qts. it shows half way between the two "bubbles"on the stick. Maybe I've got an odd-ball stick(oh I can't wait for the comments on this one!!). Anyway thanks for pointing this out but like I've said, I've had no issues. Mac

Spyder Garage

Had our 2015 RT serviced at 9000 miles and left for Nova Scotia a few days later. Got about 200 miles from home and had an oily mess like you describe. Like you I was worried about a major failure, but lucked out as there was a dealership nearby. They took me in and an hour later brought me a container with a quart and a half of oil in it. My RT was overfilled by over a quart. No more mess and since I was now paranoid I checked the oil level everyday of the trip. Level stayed perfect and I learned that I need to check the level myself and trust no one. My dealership fessed up to their tech being busy so they had another less experienced guy change my oil. They figured anyone could change oil without an issue. They figured wrong. I now change my own oil and filter.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL 0VER - FILL

I - NEVER warm up my engine to check my oil level - NEVER - why ? because I checked it after my last ride !!!! ........ so unless there is a Hugh puddle of oil under my bike .... it is still has the correct amount of oil ....... Sooooooooooooooooooo many people don't get the warm up procedure done correctly and then over - fill the reservoir, I don't understand why they won't just check it after the RIDE ........ jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree with Mike.When I check my oil level it's after a good ride and fill up with fuel so when I go on my next ride it's ready.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry for your issue. I had minor oil blowing out onto my side panels. It ended up being a warranty issue with the oil fill tube. Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even with 6qts. it shows half way between the two "bubbles"on the stick.
    Is that when checked "cold" or when using the "correct" procedure ??

It will indicate lower than actual if checked when cold......or so they say.

I've just about given up on getting the checking procedure "right".......and am happy if there is oil on the stick anywhere.
    (OK, that's exaggerated a bit......but not much.)

The dealer overfilled mine on it's first service.......and thanked me for letting them know.
    Apparently they had ASSumed that all models are the same; they are NOT.

Spyder Garage

Ron, I will keep this in mind the next time I do an oil change. Even with 6qts. it shows half way between the two "bubbles"on the stick. Maybe I've got an odd-ball stick(oh I can't wait for the comments on this one!!). Anyway thanks for pointing this out but like I've said, I've had no issues. Mac
    You have to wonder what your Spyder is doing with that extra quart. Have you checked the oil level after riding a good distance (hot oil) on a level spot (like a gas station)?

So many people 'Warm up the engine' by letting their Spyder idle in the driveway before a ride to check oil. The coolant may be warm. But you're not checking the coolant level. Not only is this not good for the engine, not to mention the fuel being burned. But it takes forever for the oil to get hot just running your Spyder this way.

If the oil on the dip stick is not hot enough to burn you. Then it's too cold to check. The oil, once warmed up, will be about the same temperature as the coolant. Around 200 degrees.

If the oil is not heated to operating temperature. It can read low.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-25-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Is that when checked "cold" or when using the "correct" procedure ??

It will indicate lower than actual if checked when cold......or so they say.

I've just about given up on getting the checking procedure "right".......and am happy if there is oil on the stick anywhere.
    (OK, that's exaggerated a bit......but not much.)

The dealer overfilled mine on it's first service.......and thanked me for letting them know.
    Apparently they had ASSumed that all models are the same; they are NOT.
    I do the "warm" check after I change the oil/filter. After that, if I feel like I've run the bike hard, I will check it at the end of the day or when I'm at the hotel parking lot prior to putting the cover on it for the night, I check it. Like Mike said, "If I don't see a puddle of oil under the bike when I'm ready to ride, it's GTG". Our bike has NEVER used any oil between changes and the wife and I are not little people and we do pull a trailer, sooooo with that said, it does not use any oil and I do pay attention to these things but I like to spend my time riding and not worrying myself to death. I like to keep the faith that we purchased a recreation vehicle of "quality" and so far it's been that way(boy I hope I don't eat my words, I've got a trip coming up!). Mac

Spyder Garage

I do the "warm" check after I change the oil/filter. After that, if I feel like I've run the bike hard, I will check it at the end of the day or when I'm at the hotel parking lot prior to putting the cover on it for the night, I check it. Like Mike said, "If I don't see a puddle of oil under the bike when I'm ready to ride, it's GTG". Our bike has NEVER used any oil between changes and the wife and I are not little people and we do pull a trailer, sooooo with that said, it does not use any oil and I do pay attention to these things but I like to spend my time riding and not worrying myself to death. I like to keep the faith that we purchased a recreation vehicle of "quality" and so far it's been that way(boy I hope I don't eat my words, I've got a trip coming up!). Mac
    Then it appears that we have a Conundrum (and you thought it was a Spyder all this time!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You have to wonder what your Spyder is doing with that extra quart. Have you checked the oil level after riding a good distance (hot oil) on a level spot (like a gas station)?

So many people 'Warm up the engine' by letting their Spyder idle in the driveway before a ride to check oil. The coolant may be warm. But you're not checking the coolant level. Not only is this not good for the engine, not to mention the fuel being burned. But it takes forever for the oil to get hot just running your Spyder this way.

If the oil on the dip stick is not hot enough to burn you. Then it's too cold to check. The oil, once warmed up, will be about the same temperature as the coolant. Around 200 degrees.

If the oil is not heated to operating temperature. It can read low.
    I understand what you are saying Ron and it makes total sense, I do the engine warm-up in the garage and that seems to suffice. But I will check it after we/I get home after the 1st. ride and the level at max is just below the top "bubble" on the stick. That's why in my earlier post to you I stated maybe I've got a "weird stick", because if having the extra 1/2+qt. in the engine/sump, wouldn't the level be about a half inch above the top bubble? I just know that I have not had any issues and I've done 4ea. oil changes, but who knows, maybe my luck is going to run out . But I will check on this the next time I do a service. Thanks. Mac

Spyder Garage

I understand what you are saying Ron and it makes total sense, I do the engine warm-up in the garage and that seems to suffice. But I will check it after we/I get home after the 1st. ride and the level at max is just below the top "bubble" on the stick. That's why in my earlier post to you I stated maybe I've got a "weird stick", because if having the extra 1/2+qt. in the engine/sump, wouldn't the level be about a half inch above the top bubble? I just know that I have not had any issues and I've done 4ea. oil changes, but who knows, maybe my luck is going to run out . But I will check on this the next time I do a service. Thanks. Mac
    I am another that does not believe in letting it idle to check the oil. I recommend to take it for a half hour ride at speed. That is a good warm up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I am another that does not believe in letting it idle to check the oil. I recommend to take it for a half hour ride at speed. That is a good warm up.
    Copy that!! Mac