Thread: F3S muffler

Spyder Garage

Default F3S muffler

My wife is wanting to look at aftermarket mufflers. She wants a deeper sound....not sure what is out there for the 2017 F3S so I thought I would ask the group here

John

Spyder Garage

RLS exhaust is in the Dallas area and has some really nice looking products.
    https://www.facebook.com/RLSExhaust/...LE2RDz5WQvWxnQ
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Making the 1330 triple sound better seems to be somewhat harder than one thinks. There are a lot of pipes out there but just to not make such a big jump in sound levels why not do the cat delete and see if that will be enough and if not move on from there. Youtube has a selection of pipes you can see and hear to give you an idea of the many sounds....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind all engines; including the Can Am 1330 in the F 3 require a certain amount of back pressure to effectively scavenge the exhaust gasses from the combustion chamber. Not all aftermarket exhausts will do that.

I'm planning on "piping" my F 3 S as well when it comes in. The RLS line has a nice selection of muffler styles, but they also have a well deserved rep for being LOUD. If that's your thing, they might be a good choice.

Their mid pipe design (replaces the stock cat section of the exhaust) is good looking, and should knock some pounds off. I would guess if there is a down side to it; it'd be a noise increase due to loss of the muffling affect of the stock cat. There is a big can in the middle of the RLS down pipe, but I don't know how much if any baffling might be in it. When I get ready to pipe my F 3, I'll call/email RLS for some specifics before I make a final decision to use it or not. I under stand it can be used with at least one, or perhaps both, of the Lamonster baffles (featured in the Lamonster Garage site [link to it on Spyderlovers home page]) which may be an option if the mid pipe contributes too much noise. Here's an ebay page with some of the RLS stuff. Punisher; Kaos, and Assasin muffler names......................likely not daycare compliant!

If you're insecure and feel the need for a closer relationship with your local law enforcement (because they love people with loud obnoxious exhaust systems and give hugs and loves for it) this brand might do. Though it doesn't look like they make anything for 2015 or newer Spyders.

http://tailgunnerexhaust.com/?page_id=2144

I'm leaning heavily towards the Two Brother Racing F 3 S system to go with the RLS mid pipe.

https://www.twobros.com/collections/...3-2015-exhaust

Their system can be used with the P1X power tip to take some of the edge of it's loudness; if you feel the need to tone it down. Which was the case of the TBR Ti Black slip on system I've got on my RSS. Fit, finish, and ease of install were all first rate with that system, and the P1X PT did in fact knock some dbs off it's volume.

If I don't get the TBR F 3 S system; I'll likley use this instead.

https://www.hmfracing.com/exhausts/can-am/spyder-f3

It looks great in the pics, and is probably lighter than the TBR system; not sure how loud it is. The down side to carbon fiber cans for the F 3 S is TBR used to offer one for the first F 3 s model year or two; then discontinued them because the cans were burning out, or cracking after the fiber glass packing burned out (all exhaust heat related). I'll call them and kick the game around with them about their unit before I make a final decision.

I'm planning on getting a ECU reflash to go with the exhaust, as well as a K & N air filter.

Let us know how your project turns out!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    Keep in mind all engines; including the Can Am 1330 in the F 3 require a certain amount of back pressure to effectively scavenge the exhaust gasses from the combustion chamber. Not all aftermarket exhausts will do that.

I'm planning on "piping" my F 3 S as well when it comes in. The RLS line has a nice selection of muffler styles, but they also have a well deserved rep for being LOUD. If that's your thing, they might be a good choice.

Their mid pipe design (replaces the stock cat section of the exhaust) is good looking, and should knock some pounds off. I would guess if there is a down side to it; it'd be a noise increase due to loss of the muffling affect of the stock cat. There is a big can in the middle of the RLS down pipe, but I don't know how much if any baffling might be in it. When I get ready to pipe my F 3, I'll call/email RLS for some specifics before I make a final decision to use it or not. I under stand it can be used with at least one, or perhaps both, of the Lamonster baffles (featured in the Lamonster Garage site [link to it on Spyderlovers home page]) which may be an option if the mid pipe contributes too much noise.
    He must have changed his design due to feedback from those of us that are running his midpipe now and have had to modify it to regain low end due to loss of backpressure. He says on his site there is a baffle now.... I am running his midpipe AND I have installed the "honeycomb" baffle he sent me PLUS and modified QQ baffle just to get back the low end lost. The Lamonster can opener baffle will not fit in the RLS midpipe without major modifications and the same goes for the BCT QQ baffle. Both are too large to fit in the exit (I'm assuming Ricky is putting in the "honeycomb" baffle in the inlet as there is no provision to install anything in the resonator area without even more modification).

OP, Running any midpipe will make it LOUD. Most likely louder than the missus will like. The RLS is "deeper" in tone with the resonator it has in place. But removing the cat/primary muffler will result in low end loss due to backpressure loss and will need BOTH baffles installed into whatever midpipe you use in order to recover it....

you can listen to some sound bytes of my F3S here and see if it helps you in any way:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t-in-my-garage

These are really to be used as immediate comparisons which helps to discern subtle differences in the sounds. The first one is what I think you would be most happy with. It is with the stock cat/primary in place and the Akrapovic Straight Shot Silencer. I ran mine this way for a year and a half while exploring different options for the sound I wanted. I most likely wouldn't have changed anything had the RLS midpipe with resonator not come along. Albeit with some serious challenges....

But THE BEST WAY is to actually hear what you're thinking of doing in person. Easier said than done I know....
    Last edited by hypurone; 05-24-2018 at 12:34 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have been very pleased with my Akropovik Sinister exhaust on my F3S.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

@Hypurone---thanks for the heads up on the Lamonster baffles r.e. the RLS mid pipe (I always hate spending money to find out stuff someone else already knows!) and what's available now via RLS. If I can come up with a combo that WON'T lose the bottom end torque of the stock set up, and isn't too loud for my tastes I'll do it. Otherwise I'll leave the stock cat in place.

The Akropovics are definitely nice units, but I've got two strikes against them. Way over priced, and they look like leftovers the Pontiac Aztek design team didn't use! Yea; I know; beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm an appearance snob --the main thing is you like it, and it's working well for your purposes. If they'd just make a can that looks more like the cans from their sport bike line up----I'd give them a serious consider too. And, I totally agree they've got a great sound that's not too loud.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3S Spyder with 2008 RS Yoshimura R77 muffler modified inlet connection

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post
    My wife is wanting to look at aftermarket mufflers. She wants a deeper sound....not sure what is out there for the 2017 F3S so I thought I would ask the group here

John
    Hi John,
    I have been running a 2008-2010 RS Spyder Yoshimura R77 muffler on my 2015 F3S Spyder for past 2 1/2 years, by having muffler shop modify inlet connection to fit F3 exhaust pipe connection.
    I love the deep mellow sound of the Yoshimura R77 muffler!!
    Another F3 muffler option for you to consider.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...m-spyder-gs-rs
    Jim

Yoshimura RS muffler on 2015 F3S Spyder Sept 2016 IMG_4130.jpgExhaust pipe back pressure restrictor 2015 F3S Spyder IMG_4128.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default BYPASS

one rider in our group had her CAT removed, and replaced with a BYPASS pipe....
    it now has a more throaty sound, and that may be what she is looking for...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Hi John,
    I have been running a 2008-2010 RS Spyder Yoshimura R77 muffler on my 2015 F3S Spyder for past 2 1/2 years, by having muffler shop modify inlet connection to fit F3 exhaust pipe connection.
    Hhhhhmmmmmm??????? Now that is interesting! I really like the looks of the Yosh muffler, and after my TBR experience with my RSS, Yoshimura was my first choice for an F 3 S system (which I just put a deposit on today! )...................."until" I saw they don't make a slip on for the F 3.

1. When you say the muffler shop "modified" the Yosh muffler inlet can you be a bit more specific as to what they did?

2. What kind of muffler shop? Midas or other national chain, or a privately owned shop i.e. Bill's Muffler Shop".

3. Whats with the perforated cone thingy in the pic? Where did you get it from?

TY! You've got me stoked now!
    Last edited by Flanker; 05-25-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

That looks exactly like the Big City Thunder QQ baffle I used in my exhaust "config" journey..... Tho mine looks a bit diff now! 8-/

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Hi John,
    Jim

Yoshimura RS muffler on 2015 F3S Spyder Sept 2016 IMG_4130.jpgExhaust pipe back pressure restrictor 2015 F3S Spyder IMG_4128.jpg
    I ride with Jim and it's one nice sounding muffler!

Spyder Garage

Hhhhhmmmmmm??????? Now that is interesting! I really like the looks of the Yosh muffler, and after my TBR experience with my RSS, Yoshimura was my first choice for an F 3 S system (which I just put a deposit on today! )...................."until" I saw they don't make a slip on for the F 3.

1. When you say the muffler shop "modified" the Yosh muffler inlet can you be a bit more specific as to what they did?

2. What kind of muffler shop? Midas or other national chain, or a privately owned shop i.e. Bill's Muffler Shop".

TY! You've got me stoked now!

1. Muffler shop guy puts end of short curved connection pipe on a metal cone type anvil & flares out 1 7/8" exhaust pipe to fit over Cat pipe or Cat bypass exhaust pipe connection.
    Then fits 2008-2010 RS Yoshimura R77 muffler on F3 muffler hanger with Aluminum flat bar mount.
    Tac welds short connector pipe in place, then puts muffler & exhaust pipe on bench to finish welding pipe connection onto YRS Yoshimura muffler.
    Muffler connection fits over stock Cat pipe, or Cat bypass pipe (like Lamont sells).
    2. I had a privately owned muffler shop that has experience building exhaust systems for race cars.
    3. The Big City Thunder baffle is perforated cone ordered from Lamont's Garage (on SL).
    4. Your F3 muffler connection pipe would look like pic below on left.
    5. I used a 1/4" thick x 1" wide Aluminum bar about 9" long bent/fabricated to fit F3 muffler mount.
    (I now have the Aluminum bar bent around muffler shape so I don't need spacers (but can't find pic of it).
    An easy mod with a deep mellow Yoshimura sound.
    Hope this helps. Jim
    4-14-2016 012 (1).jpgF3 Exhaust baffel in bypass pipe pointed to exit.jpg 2015 F3 Spyder Yoshimura mount IMG_3876.jpg
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 05-26-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post

John
    You might try the cat delete pipe first with the stock muffler and go from there.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

1. Muffler shop guy puts end of short curved connection pipe on a metal cone type anvil & flares out 1 7/8" exhaust pipe to fit over Cat pipe or Cat bypass exhaust pipe connection.
    Then fits 2008-2010 RS Yoshimura R77 muffler on F3 muffler hanger with Aluminum flat bar mount.
    Tac welds short connector pipe in place, then puts muffler & exhaust pipe on bench to finish welding pipe connection onto YRS Yoshimura muffler.
    Muffler connection fits over stock Cat pipe, or Cat bypass pipe (like Lamont sells).
    2. I had a privately owned muffler shop that has experience building exhaust systems for race cars.
    3. The Big City Thunder baffle is perforated cone ordered from Lamont's Garage (on SL).
    4. Your F3 muffler connection pipe would look like pic below on left.
    5. I used a 1/4" thick x 1" wide Aluminum bar about 9" long bent/fabricated to fit F3 muffler mount.
    (I now have the Aluminum bar bent around muffler shape so I don't need spacers (but can't find pic of it).
    An easy mod with a deep mellow Yoshimura sound.
    Hope this helps. Jim
    4-14-2016 012 (1).jpgF3 Exhaust baffel in bypass pipe pointed to exit.jpg 2015 F3 Spyder Yoshimura mount IMG_3876.jpg
    TY! That helps!

Spyder Garage

TY! That helps!
    Hi Ty,
    Here are a couple of pics on Aluminum mount, etc for RS Yoshimura muffler 2015 F3 Spyder I have had on for 2 years.
    (I have a 2" ID stainless steel F3 exhaust Sidewinder header pipe that Pitbull Powersports built in 2015).
    By cutting RS Yoshimura R77 muffler inlet pipe leaving the 2 1/4" flare on, it should fit your F3 stock exhaust pipe Cat/bypass flare connection.
    Jim

2008 RS Spyder Yoshimura R77 muffler Aluminum muffler hanger F3 IMG_4131.jpg2015 F3 Aluminum bent mount Yoshimura R77 muffler mount IMG_4125.jpg2008 RS Spyder Yoshimura R77 muffler for F3 IMG_3870.jpg2008 RS Yoshimura R77 muffler mounted to 2015 F3 Spyder with N41 Givi sidebags IMG_3854.jpg