Spyder Garage

Default Any experience with Duracell Ultra Battery for Yuasa Replacement ??

Thinking of playing safe and replacing battery before our 1500 mile trip into the "unknowns" of central Oregon hills. Current battery "seems" to be slow starting - admit it might be me over thinking sounds.
    Batteries Plus (in town) has this battery. Any experience, opinions, etc. ?
    "Duracell Ultra" AGM - YTX24HLBS - Replacement for Yuasa YTX24HL-BS
    2 year warranty. $130

Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Replaced mine in a 14rts with a stinger battery works great.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Just my opinion....

If your playing it safe I would stick with the YUASA as it is tried and true. I have not found a better battery in all the years of working on bikes. Mind you I don't know anything about the duracell other than they make one but for sure have seen other brands fail especially on the Twins....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default TROUBLE

if your battery isn't giving you any indications of a problem, why not just have it checked out at your local AUTO ZONE.... they'll do it for FREE....
    if they find it isn't in need of replacement, you've saved yourself $100....
    jmho
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTRY LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Thinking of playing safe and replacing battery before our 1500 mile trip into the "unknowns" of central Oregon hills. Current battery "seems" to be slow starting - admit it might be me over thinking sounds.
    Batteries Plus (in town) has this battery. Any experience, opinions, etc. ?
    "Duracell Ultra" AGM - YTX24HLBS - Replacement for Yuasa YTX24HL-BS
    2 year warranty. $130

I was sure my OEM Yuasa battery was about to fail .... but you REALLY don't KNOW this until it actually happens .... So I bought a Yuasa battery, the kind you have to fill your-self and then charge it Properly ... Then I started to think , I may be throwing away a perfectly good battery way before it actually dies .... Being Frugal I decided to but one of the new Lithium Jumper devices ... they are really small, but powerful and on-line you can a good one for about $ 30 to $40 .... This winter I didn't put my battery on my Maintainer - because I was sure it would DIE ....well it didn't - my RT fired right up this Spring .......So I'll carry the Jumper with me " just in case ", and wait for thhe OEM battery to die ....who knows it may YEARS .......... jmho, Mike

Spyder Garage

Default The best check is to get them to Load test the battery either at Batteries Plus or AZ

Yes, Tenino it is good to listen to your Spyder, and there will be subtle differences that make yours unique. My 15 RT cranks a little slower than the wifes 16 F3T, but after changing out the original Yuasa, with a Deka AGM battery, I put the original Yuasa back in and rode to Lamonster garage and got a new AGM battery. Long story, but all I know is that the Deka failed, and although the Yuasa was only holding about 12.5-12.6 volts after setting for a day or two it still cranked and got me to Springfield. The new Lamonster battery is holding 12.9 volts fine on a static test. You can access your battery terminals in the frunk to test, or rig a cigarette adapter plug to test it from the rear trunk outlet.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I agree with those who have recommended load testing your battery. Here's an alternative I added to my kit, doesn't take up much room and may help with other batteries around the plantation:
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/rugge...ster-approved/.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Mike, I did buy the jump starter and probably OK on battery (?)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I was sure my OEM Yuasa battery was about to fail .... but you REALLY don't KNOW this until it actually happens .... So I bought a Yuasa battery, the kind you have to fill your-self and then charge it Properly ... Then I started to think , I may be throwing away a perfectly good battery way before it actually dies .... Being Frugal I decided to but one of the new Lithium Jumper devices ... they are really small, but powerful and on-line you can a good one for about $ 30 to $40 .... This winter I didn't put my battery on my Maintainer - because I was sure it would DIE ....well it didn't - my RT fired right up this Spring .......So I'll carry the Jumper with me " just in case ", and wait for thhe OEM battery to die ....who knows it may YEARS .......... jmho, Mike
    Hey Mike,
    Bought the jump starter from Lamonster over winter, and carry it always. Hopefully I wouldn't need it OR a new battery for the trip coming up

What's the best way YOU know of to get a good feel for current battery status? Just check it's status after sitting for a day or 2, or take it out and have a load test done, or something else?

Appreciate your thoughts along with others.

EDIT - I just did a check on voltage after sitting overnight in cool garage. 12.75V
    Last edited by teninospyder; 05-24-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: more info
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I change em out at 4 years whether they need them or not. It's kind of the opposite of "Murphy's Law." Most of the time, an old battery will quit and leave you stranded without warning. It never happens at home or close to a dealer.

Peace of mind--it's worth it. I have been using OEM--$129 from dealer last week. Can't help with the other brands mentioned.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I buy all my batteries from Batteries +. Never had a problem with any of them.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY ...GOOD OR BAD ????

Hey Mike,
    Bought the jump starter from Lamonster over winter, and carry it always. Hopefully I wouldn't need it OR a new battery for the trip coming up

What's the best way YOU know of to get a good feel for current battery status? Just check it's status after sitting for a day or 2, or take it out and have a load test done, or something else?

Appreciate your thoughts along with others.

EDIT - I just did a check on voltage after sitting overnight in cool garage. 12.75V
    Most auto parts stores will test your battery for free - however it's like most things that involve a HUMAN .....they better know what they are doing ...... If you already have the jumper, I would just do what I did but an UN-FILLED Yuasa and wait until your's actually dies ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default so, is your "spare" not AGM?

Most auto parts stores will test your battery for free - however it's like most things that involve a HUMAN .....they better know what they are doing ...... If you already have the jumper, I would just do what I did but an UN-FILLED Yuasa and wait until your's actually dies ..... Mike
    Mike,
    Probably wrong, but I thought all AGM batteries were sealed. Curious what battery did you get for your 2014 RTL?

OOPS - Obviously I am wrong !!!! I just found the battery on the web (dry and with fluid pack )
    Last edited by teninospyder; 05-25-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: update on availability
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Default WRONG !!!

Mike,
    Probably wrong, but I thought all AGM batteries were sealed. Curious what battery did you get for your 2014 RTL?

OOPS - Obviously I am wrong !!!! I just found the battery on the web (dry and with fluid pack )
    " Wrong " - are you serious ...... there must be another Blue Knight 911 out here ..... ................. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default If only I understood English !!

" Wrong " - are you serious ...... there must be another Blue Knight 911 out here ..... ................. Mike
    Mike - When I wrote "probably wrong" I meant ME - not YOU Guess I should have started with the word "I'm". Really sorry about the confusion. Can you ever forgive me ?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Default WRONG -

Mike - When I wrote "probably wrong" I meant ME - not YOU Guess I should have started with the word "I'm". Really sorry about the confusion. Can you ever forgive me ?
    You did notice all the Laughing emojis ....right ......................... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Yep !

You did notice all the Laughing emojis ....right ......................... Mike
    Uh Huh !!
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.