Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IPS question

Spyder Garage

It dawned on me last night that if you just wrap one of your keys head in aluminum foil, It will shield that chip and be like an unchipped key. You could then test to see exactly how far the transponder range is with both keys. In theory. Ill test it later to see if it works or not.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    It dawned on me last night that if you just wrap one of your keys head in aluminum foil, It will shield that chip and be like an unchipped key. You could then test to see exactly how far the transponder range is with both keys. In theory. Ill test it later to see if it works or not.
    I did some testing last year. The chip key had to be right up against the non-chip one in the ignition to be read. But then I've got one of the early 2014s that had DESS problems, even though I've never a DESS issue, so maybe my test doesn't apply to later units.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If anyone is wondering what an IPS is, here is a link.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ver-lamonster/
    IPS = In Plain Sight

Had no idea what you were talking about until I watched the video.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    IPS = In Plain Sight

Had no idea what you were talking about until I watched the video.
    Yes the IPS started with the key knob and has since turned into a line of bling buttons. LOL
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have never understood the purpose of this piece of bling.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have never understood the purpose of this piece of bling.
    Yes, you are right, no purpose. It is like wrapping a Spyder, putting grills, etc ... what is the purpose beside customization and make it unique.
    I have it and it makes my Spyder unique (none of the Spyder I have seen here in Europe has it). Agree, just a bling but I like it.
    Ride safe!

Spyder Garage

I have been wondering how someone can just leave the key on the bike and walk away thinking no one will know how to start it. It dawned on me that I could keep a key in it without the chip and keep the real key in my pocket. Will this work?
    random thoughts jmo

I leave my IPS in the vehicle all the time when I go to the grocery store or run errands around town. Have never heard on here where one was stolen. Did have pre IPS where my key fell down in the collar and needed to use some MacGyverr ingenuity with a pencil and some gum to retrieve my key. No worries of that happening with the IPS. When I go to the mall I just take the whole gizmo with me.

Most people don't know about our machine let alone how to start her, accept if there was just a key left in the ignition. This "In Plain Sight" detracts from saying start me. Then on top of that you would want to commit a felony, and if you were being tracked by Helicopters and trying to evade police the visual of a Spyder on the run would be priceless....................however I digress.

Heck when I run into the post office I keep the Spyder running- Go ahead have at her, see if you can figure out how to ride her and shift and if you can, don't bring her back cuz my insurance will pay me more than I could get

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I leave my ips in when i run in & out of places, people don't even know it is ignition key

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I leave my ips in when i run in & out of places, people don't even know it is ignition key
    Exact! Same here.
    Ride safe!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default It can be figured out how to start.

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post

Most people don't know about our machine let alone how to start her, accept if there was just a key left in the ignition. This "In Plain Sight" detracts from saying start me. Then on top of that you would want to commit a felony, and if you were being tracked by Helicopters and trying to evade police the visual of a Spyder on the run would be priceless....................however I digress.
    Several years ago when I still had my RS, and working on a project with some higher-ups from corporate office. Darius (from corporate office) told me how he misses his bike (two-wheeler), as riding season is just starting in Ohio where he is from. I asked him if he wanted to take the Spyder for a spin? He said sure, so I toss him my keys. He walks out, as I went to get my helmet for him to use. I walk out just in time to see him take off (long building fenced off) heading to the end, and back. When he got back I asked him "you figured out how to start it?" His reply was, "followed the direction's on the screen, but almost hit the fence when I realized there was no hand brake." He was experienced enough to down shift to slow down, and made the U-turn. Mind you, other than seeing them on the road he had no experience ryding them, or how they operate.

While not everyone can figure it out, but it can happen. Thus, why I won't leave my key in the ignition.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

The range of the transponder in the the ignition keys that BRP uses by my testing is maybe 2 inches, tops. But to reliably work I would say maybe an inch. The reason is simple. There is no battery in the key that will allow enough power to transmit any farther. If you want to test it for yourself. For models 2013 and earlier. Turn the ignition switch on with a dummy key. The fuel pump will not run. Slowly move the OE key towards the dummy key. When you hear the fuel pump. That is when the transponder is recognised. Not sure if this will work with a 2014 or later. That is because it will give up looking for the key in a lot less time.

You may be thinking how does a transponder without power transmit anything. It gets its power from a electromagnetic pulse from the antenna that is wrapped around the barrel of the ignition switch. The same antenna that receives the response from the transponder. So when the ignition key is first turned on. The pulse goes out to the key. The transponder then converts that pulse into a tiny amount of power and responds by sending a code. The Spyder will keep doing this cycle until it receives a valid code or times out. 2013 and earlier will time out about 30 seconds. 2014 and later maybe 3 or 4 seconds. The only time there is any communication between the key and the Spyder is when the Spyder ignition switch is first turned on.

PS I think it would be a great idea if BRP went with fob instead of a key.
    Last edited by billybovine; 05-26-2018 at 02:08 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SOMETHING ELSE ABOUT USING THE - IPS - DEVICE

Being an X-LEO my thinking heads toward the LEGALITIES ...... if your Spyder using the IPS device gets stolen and your Insurance carrier finds this out ( I\and it very well could be mentioned in the officer's Theft Report ) and they decide you were CULPABLE in it's theft .... annnnnnnnnnnd they decide to either NOT pay the claim or lower their PAYOUT ...... How much are you willing to spend ( in legal fee's ) to fight them and Demand FULL payment ......... just something to consider ..... and to answer comments made by the former JAG attorney ...... ALL Lawyers are " Officers of the Court " ( system ) and filing a Lawsuit that is Frivolous based on FACTS the Lawyer knows to be Un-true can get them BARRED ............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default IPS not for me

With Google all things are possible - I am not offering my Spyder up for free with the IPS key holder on the bike. I’ve never understood why people pay for some of these inventions.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have the IPS, it’s a clever product, but I don’t use it any more. Since I have to have my hand on the key to turn the F3 off (and back on), I find it just as easy to pull the key out at the same time and pop it in my pocket.

I was quite happy to leave the IPS in the F3 when I was away from the bike briefly, but just found it was too bulky to take with me when I’m away from the F3 for an extended period.

Even with the IPS left in the F3 you still have to reach forward to turn it on.....it’s just as easy to pull the key out of your pocket, reach forward and slip it into the ignition and turn the F3 on, so for me it had no real upside.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I also began using the sheath that the key comes in. I got one of those belt hooks with a long braid key ring put the sheath and the essential keys for ryding. When I pull the key out it is easy to pull the braid out of my pocket, Sheath it and stick it back in my pocket.When I get back on, no fishing for the key, just pull the sheath out of my pocket and unsheath the key. I dont get all the gismos to make the key fit on a standard key ring.I dont want a bunch of keys dangling from the spyder key while Im ryding.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Be afraid, AY.......be VERY afraid.......I had exactly the same idea, and now do exactly the same thing. You must have an IQ around 180, just like me

Pete

I also began using the sheath that the key comes in. I got one of those belt hooks with a long braid key ring put the sheath and the essential keys for ryding. When I pull the key out it is easy to pull the braid out of my pocket, Sheath it and stick it back in my pocket.When I get back on, no fishing for the key, just pull the sheath out of my pocket and unsheath the key. I dont get all the gismos to make the key fit on a standard key ring.I dont want a bunch of keys dangling from the spyder key while Im ryding.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red