Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IPS question

Spyder Garage

Default IPS question

I have been wondering how someone can just leave the key on the bike and walk away thinking no one will know how to start it. It dawned on me that I could keep a key in it without the chip and keep the real key in my pocket. Will this work?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Maybe this is how everyone does it anyway and I just have not figured it out.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I have been wondering how someone can just leave the key on the bike and walk away thinking no one will know how to start it. It dawned on me that I could keep a key in it without the chip and keep the real key in my pocket. Will this work?
    Why would you spend significant dollars on a key without the chip?

You ever think a prospective thief would spy your key in the ignition and either break it off in a fit of rage after the trike would not start? And why invite someone to try to steal it? Good invitation for road rage.

Spyder Garage

Some folks get blank keys made for if they leave their key in the frunk and hide them somwhere on the spyder.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

This would basically make the key a fob like you use on a Harley.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I guess my question could be does the chipped key have to be in the ignition or just on the bike? If I can leave the chipped key in my pocket, It would make having an un chipped IPS key more attractive.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess my question could be does the chipped key have to be in the ignition or just on the bike? If I can leave the chipped key in my pocket, It would make having an un chipped IPS key more attractive.
    I think there's a distance limitation. Not sure what it is though.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think there's a distance limitation. Not sure what it is though.
    I have read where if you have a key error code to take the key and walk away for awhile and come back to try again.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

We need someone with one of those un chipped keys to try it for us. Just use the blank key to start it with the chipped key in your pocket.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

If anyone is wondering what an IPS is, here is a link.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ver-lamonster/
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess I don’t understand what you’re trying to accomplish. You’d still have to carry a key so what’s the point of using the blank?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I guess I don’t understand what you’re trying to accomplish. You’d still have to carry a key so what’s the point of using the blank?
    So he can leave the chipped key in his pocket all the time, Ann, and just use the blank to start the bike with the chipped key in his pocket. Trouble is, I think Pete is right in that the chipped key needs to be very, very close (a matter of inches, or maybe even closer) to the DESS module for it to work.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    When I drive my car, I can leave the key in my pocket and just push a button to start it. My Road king has a fob I can leave in my pocket. as long as the lock on th tank is unlocked , I just turn the knob and start it. If I walk away, no one can start it without the fob.
    Same thing Im trying to find out here. If I can just leave the key in my pocket, and it has a IPS knob I can just turn and then start, It would be the same thing. I just dont want the knob to have a key that has the chip in it.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Yes the key needs to be next to ignition switch to start. Once started the key with the chip can be moved away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by speedycoop View Post
    Yes the key needs to be next to ignition switch to start. Once started the key with the chip can be moved away.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by speedycoop View Post
    If that is true, then no IPS for me.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thus the reason I will never use an IPS for my key. Heck, I don't even leave my key in the ignition when the Spyder is parked in my garage
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

We need someone with one of those un chipped keys to try it for us. Just use the blank key to start it with the chipped key in your pocket.
    Here's your answer: threw a chipped key in bottom of frunk while other key is in pocket, put Ilco X270 in ignition, turned on, pushed Mode button (assumes #$%hole trying to steal knows starting sequence); result, "DESS Key Error"! The chipped key and ignition switch have very short range; how short, don't know. Am certain Lamont tested before he put IPS on market.
    Last edited by JayBros; 05-24-2018 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Add Lamont test
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Seem to remember 6 to 8 inches. I know when I get some codes for annoying the nanny I can pull the key while driving swing my arm behind me re-insert the key and the code will be gone. Someone with the two type keys should try with both on the same key ring and see what happens....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE WALK-ABOUT - MYTH

I have read where if you have a key error code to take the key and walk away for awhile and come back to try again.
    In truth the TRANSPONDER in the ignition switch has a limit of maybe 1 ft. ( I think it's really 4 inches ) ..... but moving the key allows the computers to RE-BOOT, which can stop some codes from appearing ...............jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

BRP should and probably will begin making a more updated system similar to what im talking about on future Spyders with a key fob you can just leavein your pocket.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

It would be nice if someone could figure out how to just boost the range of that transponder. just a couple of feet more.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

It would be nice if someone could figure out how to just boost the range of that transponder. just a couple of feet more.
    That may be the cause of all the DESS key code errors. The transponder may be too weak.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    In truth the TRANSPONDER in the ignition switch has a limit of maybe 1 ft. ( I think it's really 4 inches ) ..... but moving the key allows the computers to RE-BOOT, which can stop some codes from appearing ...............jmho ..... Mike
    BRP needs someone like you that thinks outside the box.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRANSPONDER

BRP needs someone like you that thinks outside the box.
    , Thanks, and yes I do ............... However I'll give credit for that info to ...." Billy Bovine " ...I read it in one of His very informative posts ...... It really pays to read all the Posts here, something I think very few do ........ Mike