Spyder Garage

Default Gear Possiblities

Hello Everyone!

I recently bought a barely used 2015 red RT-S (1100 miles). I've logged very many miles on 2 wheels, but I'm finding I have allot of questions that are not easy to find. I've researched the "Do's and Do Not's", great information there. I've also rode my spyder for almost 2K miles so I'm over the 2 to 3 wheel feel/conversion point.

I have loads of 2 wheel gear, Jackets, Pants, Boots, Gloves, Etc. But what I'm finding out is that the majority of my gear seem inadequate on the spyder during the summer. Now let me explain what I mean, I'm coming from a cruiser to a spyder and find I get way less airflow around me, and what airflow I do seem to get is from the back. I bought the BRP under mirror adjustable wings and this has helped some, but still very warm at 85F+ with high humidity here in North Carolina. As a side note I have rode the Spyder in 36F weather and I seem to be geared for that just fine.

Some things about my spyder and how I ride, I commute daily or as often as I can around 74 miles round trip and plan to do more traveling/pleasure rides as I get time. My commute is all highway @ 65-80mph, with no real options to take back roads. My Spyder is stock other than the BRP wings that I just purchased.

So to my main questions.
    1. My helmet is a 3/4 LS2 and with the shield down on a hot day I can hardly breath. Air is hot and stagnant, I'm looking for way to make this more comfortable. I can leave the shield up to about 65mph before buffeting is an issue.
    2. Jacket, this is my major issue so far. I want to be protected as the only way off the bike that I can see during a crash is a "high-side". So I'm struggling to find a comfortable mesh or comparable jacket to use. I've heard the KLIM Induction is good, but with a $350+ price tag? I'm pretty sure I want the CE rated protection do to my comutes.

So I rambled on and on and on, just to ask for input. I've been reading other post and I don't want this to be a "should you or should you not were safety gear". I'm merely asking what works for others and if possible I would love to see links to products so that others might be able to use for research. Maybe even a "Community Gear" sticky post so all this information is helpful to other newbies like myself.

Thanks,

Brent

Spyder Garage

Welcome and congrats!

Nice post and I look forward to all the answers!
    Tony

2012 RT-S SE5 - Viper Red
    Castle Atom SV Tarmac Modular Helmets
    Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover
    Hopnel Luggage: Frunk, Top Case, and Saddlebags
    Big Bike Parts Short Spiral Antenna
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire - Got almost 18,000 miles before replacement with Riken Raptor
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 165/65R-14 Front Tires
    BajaRon Spark Plugs and Wires
    EBC Rear Pads and Rotor from BajaRon
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 Rear Tire

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lower the windshield all the way; it's called that for a reason and short of removing it I don't know how you are going to replicate the wind flow of a cruiser. You could also try installing a vent or two like the Goldwings have.

If you feel you need the protection of an armored jacket, then get the lightest, breeziest one you can find. Same with pants.

My advice would be to forgo the protective jacket and pants; wear something lightweight and comfortable just to keep the sun off but still allow air circulation.

Helmets are hot but necessary. A 3/4 helmet without the faceshield but with motorcycle goggles may be the most comfortable compromise.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If the air in your helmet is stagnant maybe you need to clean its insides.

Regarding a summer jacket, suggest you contact BajaRon, a sponsor, and inquire about a Firstgear mesh jacket. He has very good prices. You can check out the Firstgear products at this link: https://firstgear-usa.com/mens-gear/jackets.html.

I ride with short sleeve fully synthetic shirts under my mesh jacket during the summer. You can squirt them with a water bottle and they evaporate the moisture quickly. I also ride with a Camelbak that I would use on a commute of your length were I still contributing to the GDP.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Gear Possiblities

Welcome to all things Spyder. I would suggest that you query directly the high milage riders on what they use to stay protected and comfortable. I personally use mesh with armor when it's hot and textile with armor and heated gear as the temperatures dictate. SpyderAnn and Bajaron are two individuals that come first to mind. Others will chime in with their thoughts.

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Welcome to the spyder world and all it's differences...great choice.. They have you covered above with the light gear and wind issue. I use the MSR flip up on the wind and a modular helmet.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and on this new adventure that you have undertaken!
    If you want airflow; there's just one word: MESH!!
    I have a TourMaster jacket that is comfortable from below freezing, to above 100 degrees.
    It's all in how many layers of it that I use.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

3/4 modular helmets with face plates. They have a "one notch up" setting instead of all the way down. That gives plenty of additional airflow for me. Most helmets also have adjustable vents in the tops.

Mesh jacket, fingerless gloves, Kevlar jeans or mesh. I still wear boots--regardless of temps.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I wear a Vega mesh with armor, light gray. Make sure you get light colors too.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

One option you may consider is installing Baker Air Wings on your Spyder. You can adjust the Wings to put more air on you or take away air flow. I've never had them on a bikes I've owned but have heard others say they really like them.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    , and on this new adventure that you have undertaken!
    If you want airflow; there's just one word: MESH!!
    I have a TourMaster jacket that is comfortable from below freezing, to above 100 degrees.
    It's all in how many layers of it that I use.
    Agreed as to mesh from a member living in Las Vegas. Not so sure about the TourMaster. My wife and I both had (past tense) TourMaster Intake 4 jackets. Nice jacket other than the back protection was nearly nil and very difficult to replace with something substantial. I got over that, though. The problem was that my own jacket basically fell apart within six months. A side seam came undone and the velcro at the wrist (a poor design in the first place) started tearing off. I could have had it re-sewn but instead opted to return it to RevZilla and replaced it with a Joe Rocket Phoenix. The Phoenix is very similar but IMO better built and it is holding up, just like a previous one I had that lasted nearly 10 years (for example, the wrists have a zipper instead of velcro and the back accepts conventional back armor). OTOH my wife's Intake 4 has been just fine for her. Maybe I just got an Intake 4 that happened to be a lemon, or maybe other TourMaster models are better built.

Whatever you choose, mesh is the way to go. You can always add liners and layers underneath it if it's cold. Ours are for year-round use here in Las Vegas, and it DOES get cold here sometimes.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Vented windshield

We have a vented windshield. If you want air to your face the central vent works. Goldwing vent is about $50 + your labor.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I did the BRP vented shield on my RT - works quite well. The plus no buffeting.
    Still have the Aerostich Roadcrafter which works up to 80-something depending on humidity. Joe Rocket mesh (10 Years plus) for warm/hot. Love the adjustable under mirror for thingies.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    One option you may consider is installing Baker Air Wings on your Spyder. You can adjust the Wings to put more air on you or take away air flow. I've never had them on a bikes I've owned but have heard others say they really like them.

This is the best idea to get more air on the rider/passenger. We have them on both our bikes (2014 RTL's) and love them in both the heat and cold. Not like an A/C but a very noticeable difference.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lineberr View Post
    Hello Everyone!

1. Jacket, this is my major issue so far. I want to be protected as the only way off the bike that I can see during a crash is a "high-side". So I'm struggling to find a comfortable mesh or comparable jacket to use. I've heard the KLIM Induction is good, but with a $350+ price tag? I'm pretty sure I want the CE rated protection do to my comutes.

I just picked up a Klim Induction jacket not long ago, so here's my opinion of it. Klim gear is expensive, no two ways about it. It's also top of the line and noticeably better quality than most stuff out there. I was previously considering a Joe Rocket and can tell you they're playing in different leagues. The Induction mesh is extremely tough and I have no doubts that I'll be well protected in the event I ever have to test it personally. The CE rated armor was another big draw for me. I too commute on mine 90 miles round trip daily so CE rated armor was a priority for me. Joe Rocket has some armor it, but details are vague on their site as to what it actually is and I see no mention of CE rating on it. Klim uses D30, no doubts about the rating there (Level 1 used in the Induction). We all have individual financial situations, but if yours allows for something like the Induction, you absolutely are getting what you pay for.

I agree with you about the airflow stuff, the RT's don't have nearly as much as a 2 wheeler. I've got an F4 windshield with the Goldwing vent in it and it's very helpful. I'm also contemplating cutting down my old stock windshield so that I can get even more airflow in the summer.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your input.

I hope to get a vented shield at some point as I hear it makes a noticeable difference. I also never raise my shield, it's always lowered all the way down. I heard about the actuation arm issues on the shield, so I lower it down all the way and just bump the up so it's not hard against the stop. So maybe a shorter shield would also be an option for me.

I'm leaning toward the Klim Induction just due to reviews I've seen, but also want to look into other competing products.

Again thanks for all the comments and hope everyone has a safe and exciting Memorial Day weekend.

Brent
    Last edited by lineberr; 05-26-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Joe Rocket

My wife and I both have Joe Rocket mesh with CE armour and we find them very comfortable and well made. Maybe it's time for a new helmet? We have HJC modular helmets and being full face, I find the air moves through them pretty well with the front and back vents open. Is it like no helmet? No. But I still remember the motorcycle rider I saw sitting on the curb holding his broken jaw on while waiting for the paramedics. I'll go with full face.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post

Another Baker Air Wing vote.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JFD View Post
    We have HJC modular helmets and being full face, I find the air moves through them pretty well with the front and back vents open.
    We have HJC modulars. I discovered this winter when I rode that air moves through them very well. 40 degree air moving through your helmet is more noticeable than 85!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White